Author Topic: James Hobley  (Read 13490 times)

Offline sharona

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Hobley
« Reply #9 on: Friday 25 November 11 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,
Thank you so much for that Alan. You have helped me heaps so thank you. If i can do anything for you let me know. Still having trouble with this Charles though. I wish i was in England so i could verify these things but am the other side of the world.
Thanks again
Sharon :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Richardson Sussex, Bassett, Carrington, Adkins, Balcombe Kerr, Macleod, Graham, Kinross, Lennox, Anderson, Cunningham, Henderson, Nobbs, Hobley and many more

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 25 November 11 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Sharona,

So am I,  in Oz are you?

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline Orpheus

• RootsChat Senior
  • Quartermain arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 26 November 11 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Orpheus i was told by a family member that Robert was the father, so i am not entirely sure.
have you found someone else listed as the father?

No, I haven't found a baptism for Charles.  I asked how you knew Robert was his father because I know there are at least eight trees on Ancestry which give this information and I was going to warn you about them.  These trees all give Charles's birth as 1740 in Sussex, England, the son of Robert HOBLEY and Hannah COTTINGHAM.  Some have the marriage of Robert HOBLEY and Hannah COTTINGHAM as 8 Dec 1745 at Fishbourne, Sussex and some state that Robert died in Warwickshire in 1785.  Information varies from tree to tree but I advise you to treat all of it as highly suspect.

There is one other tree on Ancestry which gives Charles's birth as 1735 in Worcestershire, England, the son of Thomas HOBLEY and Martha.  It could well be that this is the birth that you found in Brailes, Warwickshire, and the person who has constructed the tree has entered the place of birth incorrectly. 

All trees agree that Charles died in 1797 in Eynsham - have you verified this?  Also, have you found any other children for Charles and Sarah?  The only one I've been able to find is James baptised in 1769.  However, I can say that Charles had a brother named Thomas who was a butcher in the parish of St Peter le Bailey in the City of Oxford.  He (Thomas) left a will dated 1769, proved 1773, in which he names his four sons - David, Joshua, Thomas (a minor under 21), and William (also a minor under 21) - and his brother Charles as executor and trustee.
Quartermain and variants - Oxfordshire
Wiggins - Oxfordshire
Lowe - Charney Bassett, Berkshire
Bettle - Bedfordshire and Northamptonshire
Marshall - Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire
Goodman - Buckinghamshire

Offline Orpheus

• RootsChat Senior
  • Quartermain arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 26 November 11 17:14 GMT (UK) »
You mentioned in a post on another board that your HOBLEY family were mostly from Berkshire.  If this is so can you tell us how you've traced back to Charles of Ensham.  It would be useful to know whether we're on the right track!
Quartermain and variants - Oxfordshire
Wiggins - Oxfordshire
Lowe - Charney Bassett, Berkshire
Bettle - Bedfordshire and Northamptonshire
Marshall - Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire
Goodman - Buckinghamshire

Offline sharona

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 26 November 11 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Orpheus,
Thanks for your questions. I will try to answer what i know. My grandfather was Sidney Thomas Hobley and he lived to a wonderful age of 104. Must have been the English weather. He told my mum a few bits and pieces. Yes i have seen the trees on ancestry and a lot of the dates are out. I have ancestry as well but i am doing one person at a time and making sure i get references to back up the facts. Family search has given me some information. As i said i am getting the information then verifying it is the right info. i have family tree maker 2011 and when i am 100% sure the info is right i get my bits of paper and write the info in. But i would be glad of any second opinions and suggestions. I thank you for your help and input. Please keep offering suggestions and opinions.
Sharon
Richardson Sussex, Bassett, Carrington, Adkins, Balcombe Kerr, Macleod, Graham, Kinross, Lennox, Anderson, Cunningham, Henderson, Nobbs, Hobley and many more

Offline bobhobley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Bellingham, June 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 04 December 11 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sharon (and everyone else on this thread!)
I raised this query - about Charles Hobley - on the Ancestry Message Board back in 2006, but with no response.
Anyway, I entirely agree with Orpheus re. the "Sussex link". In the mid 1700's people just didn't travel those sort of distances, I have no proof yet, but I reckon that the Charles Hobley from Brailes is much more likely to be our man. Assuming this is so, and it still needs to be proved, Charles' parents were Thomas (b.1690) and Martha George who were married on 07/02/1712 at Chipping Campden, Glos. This Charles had 10 siblings, viz. Mary (b.1714), Francis (1716), Thomas (1718) Elizabeth (1721), Martha (1722), Jane (1725), Margaret (1727), Ann (1729), Edward (1732) and George (1737).
Thomas Hobley (b.1690) was the son of John Hobley and Mary ?. I believe that both of them were born in Barford Warwickshire, John in abt 1665 and Mary abt 1674. Thomas had at least one younger brother - Edward (b. 1696). Edward married a Sarah Green (Greenaway?) who was born in Banbury, Oxfordshire in 1703. Edward and Sarah had a least 9 children (that I know of) and it is from these that the prolific "Banbury/Neithrop" branch of the Hobley clan stems!

Going back to our Charles, the Eynsham Parish register shows that he married Sarah James on 19/05/1767. The witnesses were John Constable (b. 21/08/1732) and Mary Battin. John Constable seems to have been a great mate of Charles over many years and, in fact, was married to Sarah's sister Hester (b. 1737) John and Hester had been married in Eynsham on 28/12/1758.

Now for a couple of newspaper reports!
1. The Oxford Journal dated 18/07/1778 has an item showing that Charles Hobley and John Constable are the executors of the estate of George James, cabinet maker of St Clements, Oxford and request that all debtors and creditors of the deceased send their details to them.
2. The same Journal dated 05/07/1794 has a bankruptcy item regarding the claim for discharge from bankruptcy of 10 people, including Charles! The entry for Charles states: "Charles Hobley, late of Ensham in the County of Oxford, Butcher, now confined in his majesty's prison....not being charged in Custody on the 12th day of February 1794..........". I'm not sure if or when this meant that Charles got out of clink!

You say that Sidney Hobley was your grandfather (mine was Louis George Hobley who got gassed in WW1). I have Sidney (b.1904) in my tree but apart from his father, Frank, have no other info. Who was Sidney's mother, who did he marry did he have any siblings and what kids/grandkids did he have?

If I can be of any further help just shout and If anyone gets the proof about Charles and the "Brailes" link, I'd be very interested to hear about it.

Best regards............................Bob
Hobley
McMullin
Quinnell
Harrison (Scottish version pre 1900)

Offline sharona

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 04 December 11 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bob,
Thank you for your information it was most welcome.
Yes Sidney Thomas Hobley was my grandfather. He married Dorothy Violet Nobbs in 1927 Easthampstead Berkshire. They have 4 daughters ( one my wonderful mum). His siblings were Laura Hobley, Arthur Hobley, Georgina Hobley, Ruth Hobley and Frank Hobley. Could you send me a PM with you email address. Would like to keep in touch.
Thanks
Sharon :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Offline bobhobley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Bellingham, June 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 04 December 11 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Wow, 15 smilies - I'm humbled!!
Sharon, thanks for the info re. Sidney. My email address is *

Do you have a George Hobley in your tree? He died in 1902. He was born in Cassington, but moved to London sometime in the 1880's I think. I've just found out (from the local Reading newspaper of the time) that he was found dead in King's Weir, near Cassington having apparently commited suicide!!
If I get any more info, I'll let you know. I hope you'll keep me informed of any developments at your end?(!!)

( :) x 16)...................Bob 
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Hobley
McMullin
Quinnell
Harrison (Scottish version pre 1900)

Offline Lizwest

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 14 January 12 04:56 GMT (UK) »
I have just joined Rootsweb, and want to let you know that Martha Hobley is an ancestor of mine. Borne in 1722, Brailes, Warwickshire, married on October 3, 1749. She married Richard Lymath (Limath) who was born 1725. They had 5 children, Thomas (Lymeth) born 22 July, 1750, Hannah Lymath (Limath) born 23 August, 1752, Mary , born 25 April, 1755, Richard, born October, 1757, and John, born 23 June, 1760.
Richard and Martha were the earliest I had discovered in my ancestry line, so I am excited to have found more on the Hobley side.
Liz
Email address is no longer working sorry