Author Topic: Arthur Cairns of Slingo  (Read 2482 times)

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Arthur Cairns of Slingo
« on: Friday 25 November 11 10:07 GMT (UK) »
My apologies first, as my knowledge of Irish Counties is well below par!
I am tracing Mary Cairns (maybe Mary Ann) b. c1839 Co. Longford or Slingo Co. a Roman Catholic, who arrived in Hobart Town Jan 1861, a 21 year old single servant, and who had lived in Scotland from 5 years (c1844).

If I trace one possible person to Scotland in 1851 Census, she may be the daughter of Arthur (b.1801 Ireland) and his wife Mary Cairns, who were living in 30 Little Dowhill, Glasgow.

Unfortunately, one son James (b.1831) is traceable in Durham, England but only says he was born in Ireland.

Another son Patrick (b. 1833) is also traceable to Pontefact, Yorkshire. One minute he says he was born in Galway, then in another English Census says he was born in Slingo.

Finally, my request for help!
Do records show anything for Arthur and Mary Cairns having chn baptised in Slingo or Longford Counties:
James 1831
Patrick 1833
Thomas 1836
Mary 1838
Arthur 1839
John 1844
before they emigrated to Glasgow, Sco.?

A tall ask, I know, but someone may just be able to offer a possible suggestion or two.

I think that the young Mary Cairns has taken up a servant's position in Hobart Town with James Banks, a currier, of Macquarie Street, Hobart. His wife dies in 1862 following the birth of their ninth child,  and James Banks then marries Mary Cairns in 1863, in St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church. James Banks was a Methodist when  previously living in London.

Keith (Aus)
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur Cairns of Slingo
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 November 11 10:23 GMT (UK) »
The name of the county is Sligo

The date for Mary's birth is before the start of civil records so you need to search for parish records. The problem is that records for the RC parishes start at different times, and not knowing where your Mary came from means it's difficult to know where to start a search, or even records go back far enough for the area your Cairns family lived.

Does the record of Mary's marriage to James confirm her parent's details ?
I dont quite get this part of your post : '....If I trace one possible person to Scotland in 1851 Census, she may be the daughter of Arthur...'

see :  Introduction to Irish Records
         My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?   

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 November 11 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Shane for both your quick response and further direction. The official record of marriage for Mary Cairns to James Banks does not name her parents, only confirms that she was a 24 year old spinster and servant, and signed with a cross. I have not sent for her death in 1907. It was recorded in the local Hobart Mercury newspaper, so left it at that.

The part that you needed a clarification was that I had entered her age, both in Ireland in an 1851 Census for Scotland. The only reasonable response was as a child to Arthur and Mary Cairns; however, they may be another record that I missed. That is why I started my search with this family.

Although my wife is a descendant from the first marriage, I was just interested to go that one step further, as the second marriage resullted in another three children.

Thank you
Keith
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 November 11 10:57 GMT (UK) »
I think I'd look for some more certain way to connect back to a particular family in Scotland in 1851 - e.g. parents name(s)... just to be sure you are linking back to the correct family.

Names are often mistranscribed and/or have unusual spellings on census returns, so families can be difficult to locate.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests