Author Topic: MCGOWAN FROM CARNEY, DRUMCLIFF AND MAGHEROW. SLIGO  (Read 2853 times)

Offline marymac72

• RootsChat Extra
  • Mary Ann McShane looking for ancestors
    • View Profile
MCGOWAN FROM CARNEY, DRUMCLIFF AND MAGHEROW. SLIGO
« on: Saturday 26 November 11 11:52 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for info on John McGowan Christened 13 Nov 1865 in Carney Sligo .. Brigida McGowan christened 26 July 1863 .. Michael McGowan christened 14 April 1870 .. Maria McGowan christened 10 Nov 1860 All last three in Drumcliff and Magherow, Sligo.

Thank you
Nicholson with ancestors going back to Sligo. Nicholsons who went to California, names will be different now due to marriage.
Also McShane parent Henry McShane

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: MCGOWAN FROM CARNEY, DRUMCLIFF AND MAGHEROW. SLIGO
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 November 11 12:01 GMT (UK) »
What sort of information are you looking for?

Civil registration of births started in 1864- birth certificates for any of the children born after that date should list names of both parents. Did find this extracted birth record but not sure if it's the correct family-
Michael Mcgowan born 10 April 1870 Carney Co. Sligo (registration district?), parents- Michael McGowan and Anne Kilcoyne

See www.familysearch.org to search further.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline marymac72

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 November 11 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi there and thanks for your reply. Fantastic as that is the correct family :) I had names and dates but the dates were definately way off !! I will go onto the site you recommended.

Thanks again M
Nicholson with ancestors going back to Sligo. Nicholsons who went to California, names will be different now due to marriage.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 November 11 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Your Michael McGowan was born 10 April 1870 (according to birth registration) and baptised four days later (14 Apr.1870 according to the baptismal date you posted) so there's nothing strange about his date. Babies were usually christened soon after birth. However, I notice LDS site also lists Michael's christening record with a birthdate as 1 April- not uncommon to find such mistakes in church records.

From the LDS site it looks as though John was baptised the same day he was born.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline marymac72

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 November 11 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Wonderful, thank you so much. The people on here have been so helpful and i'm most grateful for your time. I will fill in this part and no doubt be back with some more.

Very best wishes M