Author Topic: Annie Smith Thain  (Read 4857 times)

Offline Gregyboy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Annie Smith Thain
« on: Tuesday 29 November 11 19:24 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace the cousins of my great-grandmother, and I have came across Annie Smith Thain who I believe emigrated.

Annie Smith Thain was born on 21st October 1911 in 23 Stewart Street Portgordon to George Alexander Thain and Annie Crockett/Geddes (She was born illegitimately to a Crockett but is sometimes known as a Geddes)

She married Jorgen Simon Olai Aspelund on 15th June 1945 in Enzie Free Church

Jorgen Simon Olai Aspelund was born in 1909. I forgot to take the names of his parents, but I can get them.
I'm assuming Jorgen was Danish or a nationality similar. I assumed that they'd emigrated back to Denmark or wherever, but a grandson got in contact with me telling me they'd emigrated to Australia. This grandson never knew his grandmother, I don't think he knew when she or Jorgen died and I can't get back in contact with him as I don't have is e-mail. Also, it was his fathers parents, so Annie and Jorgen must have had children outwith Scotland

If anybody has any information or is related to Annie and Jorgen and has information I would be very grateful as I cannot find anything on them at all.

Thanks,
Greg

Offline Gregyboy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Annie Smith Thain
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 December 11 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Forgot to add!

She actually remarried in 1952 to David Yeats Henderson and as it turns out she had two children out of wedlock to unknown men,. I am unsure if they had the same father or not, but they lived with their uncle Ernest Thain and aunt Ruth Wilson in Yuill Avenue, Buckie. Ernest and Ruth died there, so I found out their deaths. Annie emigrated to Australia at the end of the fifties with her daughter she had to Jorgen and husband David. She divorced Jorgen and I believe he left Scotland. Annie and David both died in Australia, but that's what I want to find out - when they died. Jorgen left Scotland and died in Denmark I think.

Offline Portonian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 January 12 00:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi

is Annie actually Annabella "Nannie" Thain ?

I have an extensive tree of her ancestry having Thain's in my own paternal garndmothers line....I'd recommend you investigate Professor Peter H Reid's research on the families of Port Gordon at

http://rgu-sim.rgu.ac.uk/history/family_history.htm

It has comrehensive info on all founding families of Port Gordon.

Offline Gregyboy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 April 12 20:38 BST (UK) »
Hello,

To be honest, I'm not too sure. I don't think she was known by Annabella, she was just known as Annie I think.

Since you mentioned having Thain's in your paternal grandmothers line, may I ask who your grandmother is/was or if she is related to Annie Smith Thain or any of her family members?

I found the wedding of Annie Smith Thain's parents on that website, but I didn't find any details on her as she didn't actually marry in Portgordon. It's quite a useful source for the history of some families as it mainly covers the 19th century.

All I know is she went to Australia leaving two children behind with her brother Ernest who I found, he died in Buckie. Her two children are still living and one of her granddaughters is trying to track down what happened to her, the same thing I'm trying to do.

Thank You,

Greg

Offline Portonian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 April 12 23:08 BST (UK) »
My Gt Gt Gt Grandmother was Jane (Jean) Thain "Gollachy" b1792 who was married to George Bowie b 31 March 1790.

Wm Bowie was father of Jane Anne Bowie who was mother of Jane Ann Green who was wife of William Robertson who was brother of John Robertson who was husband of Margaret Geddes who was sister of Ann "Annie" Geddes who was mother of Annabella "Annie" Thain.

So, connected by 8 steps through marriage.

Offline Gregyboy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 April 12 23:50 BST (UK) »
Wow, quite a distant relation  :o

I was looking at previous e-mails from someone who is connected to Annie Geddes and he mentioned that there was a daughter known as Annabella, so I think that Annie Smith Thain is Annabella, or "Nannie" as she was known as.

I've found Annie's family, but I don't know what happened to them as they all emigrated to Australia, besides two of her children.

Annie's granddaughter who contacted me had no idea of what happened to her.

May I ask what you have got on Annie's family? If any people are living I would prefer it if you mail me as living people are privatized.

Thank You

Offline Portonian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 April 12 00:14 BST (UK) »
Being on an extreme limb of my tree I don't know much. You probably have more than me.

I know Annie and David went Aussie c1963 to Canberra with her two children from her marriage to Asplund but there is nothing on record after that. I have tried Trove and other Aussie online resources with no success.
It's so much harder tracing living persons because of the necessary privacy lawas these days....it's easier finding someone from three hundred years ago!

Funnily enough I haven't been able to find a birth certificate for Annabella at Scotlands People.

Offline Gregyboy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 April 12 19:52 BST (UK) »
Yes, I knew that.

As it turns out she had one child from her previous marriage to a Norweigan man called Jorgen Simon Olai Aspelund. After they divorced I think he went back to Norway. I know he is definitely dead, I'm assuming he died in Norway.

She remarried to David Yeats Henderson and had a child with him, where they went to Australia and died. I'm assuming her two children are living.

I know Annie had two children out of wedlock, they stayed in Scotland.

The reason you are unable to find a birth certificate for "Anna Bella Thain" is because her birth name is Annie Smith Thain.

Just out of curiosity, what have you got on the family of John Robertson and Margaret Geddes?

I know they had quite a large family like Annie and George Thain did.

Offline Portonian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 April 12 01:00 BST (UK) »

John and Margaret

4 sons 1 daughter, private, living, no details. 2 sons paassed.

John d c1960 and George d 2004 m Agnes Wilkie Adams Mckenzie d 1986. No details of issue.

I have Margaret's lineage back to c 1720 with Great (4) grandparents Alexander Ralph and Christian More and to Peter Geddes "Eelley Tomay" Senior a founder of Port Gordon c 1750
and her gt gt gt grandfather. Huge family ancestry. Related to almost every major family in Port Gordon as a result, Reids, Henry, Sudinck (Sudding)...

Bill