Author Topic: Lookup 1841 census for Peter & Ann Coatsworth  (Read 3856 times)

Offline Karen Coatsworth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup 1841 census for Peter & Ann Coatsworth
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 21 June 20 10:17 BST (UK) »
Hi William and thank you! Yes I think they are the John and Thomasin my 6x grandparents :D
I have tried to contact West Rainton/Leamside parish in Durham where John was native to, and also Houghton le Spring parish in search of his birth details but with little luck. Houghton le Spring apparently have few records and with the Covid its difficult for anyone to check.
I thank you for your response
Regards Karen

Offline Karen Coatsworth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 22 June 20 03:21 BST (UK) »
Hi William
Actually I have just realised that according to John's age at the time he passed, I have been looking for the incorrect year of birth! Thats the problem with ancestry and family search family trees, a lot of the information on there has no evidence to back it :(
So John's year of birth would be 1748 and I've been searching for 1765!
Still not sure if he would have originally been from Newcastle Upon Tyne and moved to Durham for the mining? or if he was born in Durham, or even Yorkshire??
Any chance you are able to help please?
Regards Karen

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 22 June 20 09:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen

If you have not done so already it might be worth finding the Bts which exist for the children of John and Thomasin. As far as I can see these are the possible children of this couple for whom baptism records appear to still exist.
John 1791 Ponteland
Robert 1793 Ponteland
Elizabeth 1802 Satley
Peter 1805 Satley
Isabella 1808 Newcastle
Ralph Davison 1813 Newcastle
George 1813 Newcastle

The most detailed are those for Elizabeth, Peter and Isabella which are from the aforementioned Barrington period. Elizabeth's states that John was a native of the parish of Houghton le Spring (it also gives his occupation as hind). Peter's states he was a native of West Rainton in the parish of Houghton le Spring but Isabella's says he was a native of Boldon.

I have looked at Durham Records Online, a great source, and can see no records for a baptism for John Coatsworth . There are some records showing on Familysearch for  Coatsworth baptisms in the early 1750's in Houghton le Spring - all have father as John Coatsworth but think it would be hard to say that this is what you are after with any certainty.

Hope this helps.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Karen Coatsworth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 23 June 20 02:55 BST (UK) »
Hi William
Thank you so much for your information! I did know that Peters birth certificate states John was native to West Rainton, and I knew the marriage certificate says he was native to West Rainton, but I didnt know about Elizabeth being born in Satley and the details there.
Are you all just volunteers who access this information? If thats the case, then I am especially grateful to you. My father passed away when I was quite young and the family was very disfunctional. There was of course very little information on our family history available to myself, my siblings as well as my cousins and so I want to say how much this means to all of us.
With very kind regards to you and yours
Karen Coatsworth.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 23 June 20 06:52 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat :-)

As William says the Bishops Transcripts are available on Family Search. They are not indexed so we need to browse them. This page lists what is available for each of the counties within the Diocese of Durham
https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index?owc=https://www.familysearch.org/service/cds/recapi/collections/1309819/waypoints

Satley is within the county of Durham and when I looked I couldn't see the baptism record for Elizabeth, or indeed any baptisms for 1802, which was puzzling.

I went back to the listing and see that Family Search have a section labelled Esh, Satley.
and she is in there
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-6WLS-7T7?wc=9K5S-7MH%3A13618101%2C24190901%2C18686602&cc=1309819

Boo

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 23 June 20 07:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks Boo for adding that.

Just to say that I located the possible children by firstly doing a free search on Durham Records online. i entered the surname Coatsworth and parents John and Thomasin in the section on parish records. I actually found their Bts  in this case using the site FindMyPast where a lot (not all) of the Bts have been indexed. Freereg is another site to recommend.

It is also worth saying that their may be variations to the way the surname Coatsworth is written / transcribed eg Cotesworth, Coatworth.

Yes Karen a lot of the regulars here are amateurs who enjoy looking for information and trying to help to solve puzzles. A lot of my own family history is in Northumberland and Durham and so I am particularly interested in that area. It can be just as absorbing looking at other folks family puzzles as one's own!

William

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Karen Coatsworth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 25 June 20 06:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks Boo
Very grateful :):)

Offline Karen Coatsworth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 02 August 20 06:56 BST (UK) »
Just wondering
On Peter's baptismal records it states he is the 6th child of John and Tomasin Coatsworth. I cant find evidence of any other children other than John, Robert, Elizabeth and then Peter. Could this mean that other children may have been stillborn? Would there be burial records?

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 03 August 20 07:15 BST (UK) »
I cannot see any possible burial records - if the other children were baptised it may simply be a case that records have not survived .

William