Author Topic: Greenknow, Gordon.  (Read 6450 times)

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Greenknow, Gordon.
« on: Wednesday 30 November 11 03:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi from Australia,

I originally had placed this query on the Northumberland forum board by mistake.

The 1841 Census has John Young and his family residing at Greenknow, Gordon, Berwickshire and in 1851 his widow, Elizabeth Young and her family are still residing at Greenknow.

John Young, a shepherd died 30th March 1847 at Greenknowe and is buried at the Gordon Churchyard.

Am I correct to think that Greenknow may have been an Estate or something similar outside of the village of Gordon.

Regards
Gerry

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Greenknow, Gordon.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 November 11 08:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gerry

There are references to a Greenknowe Tower, see here http://www2.thesetonfamily.com:8080/gallery/Greenknowe_Tower_History.htm

For modern map (has satellite option) to view www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/propertydetail/propertydetail.htm?PropID=PL_145&PropName=Greenknowe%20Tower - you can see how close the tower alone is to the village of Gordon.

Worth looking at the older maps from the mid 1800s. This looks to be the census enumerator's path which can help with further place name references (look under the 'Place and Farm names in Census Records' section) www.bordersfhs.org.uk/gordon.asp

A little more on the Greenknowe Tower being mentioned www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/earlston/greenknowetower/index.html

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 November 11 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Given the occupation of John, more likely he was living with his family within the lands of the Greenknowe Farm you would think.

Great winterly photos of some of the farm cottages here www.geograph.org.uk/photo/312236

If you open up the modern map included on the link, clearly lays out the location of the farm, the old Tower and the Village of Gordon.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 November 11 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Monica, Thanks very much for the reply and references, they are very helpful, I'm trying to find out as much as I can about my ancestors life and environment and what may have taken them from Kirknewton to Gordon.

John Young and Elizabeth Young (nee Currie) were my GGGGF & GGGGM and one of their sons, Adam Young who was born at Coldstream made his way to the Victoriam Goldfields at Smythesdale where he was a blacksmith.  One of his two living sons, Adam Edward Young made his way to the gold fields of Charters Towers in North Queensland in the 1880s like so many did to try and make their fortune just like his own father had done by moving from Gordon the Victorian gold fields at Smythesdale in the 1850s. 

The Australian Pioneers came from everywhere and they were a pretty resourceful and tough lot.

Once again thanks for yor help.

Gerry

Offline angusg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 January 12 01:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have John YOUNG b1795 d 30 Mar 1847
                     at Greenknowe, Gordon
wife was Elisabeth CURRIE b 1796 England
               died  East Gordon, Gordon 10 Sep 1871
"Monumental Inscription in St Michael's Churchyard, Gordon
 Border Family History Society Publication  "MI" for
Gordon, Nenthorn & Westruther # 7", Published1999, isbn 1 874232 04 4
Entry # 129
" In memory of John YOUNG  Shepherd Greenknowe who died
30.3.1847 aged 52 years also Elizabeth CURRIE his wife who
died east Gordon 10.9.1871 aged 73 years."

Greenknowe is a farm on the Kelso to Lauder road just north of the village of Gordon.

It is possible that your Adam Edward Young in Charter Towers was aware of relatives
ie Crow or Thorburn.

My wifes aunt was married to a HUNTER in Gordon and thru that  the YOUNG/CURRIE
line.

here is what I have for the 1851 Census from SP
"1851 Census Pasrish of Gordon, County of Berwick
30/03/1851 Census, RD; 742/00 002/00 005, Page 5

Dwelling Greenknow   (no e in the spelling then)    Parish            County
Elizabeth YOUNG Head Widow 54 F                                             England
  William YOUNG Son    U        23 M  Shepherd                            England
     Mary YOUNG  Daur            13 F                       Gordon           Berwick
Robert T YOUNG Son              11 M                       Gordon           Berwick
    Agnes Hall      Servt  U       18 F Farm Servant    Longformacus Berwick"

I hope I can be of some help, we still have a relative in the village.
Watt, Beattie,Glass,McDougal, Guthrie,Blackie,Pringle,Balmer,Headridge,Hunter,France,Greenhill
Gordon,Lawson,Anderson,Reid,Stott,Milne,Jackson,Walker McArthur,Hardie.Dunnet,Dundas
Thorburn, Mosley, Stewart, Wood, Gladstone, Darrie,Melrose
Duff,and in the States/Canada: Kidder,Duff, Blake,Robertson,Kerr.

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 January 12 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for the information in your post.

It is fantastic to have the Monumental Inscription for John Young and Elizabeth Currie, it's hard to believe that there would have been a MI being a shepherd.

Thanks also for the 1851 census information, my Adam Young is not there is 1851 becuause I think he is an appentice blacksmith elsewhere.  I have found the family on the 1841 Census when John was still alive and they were living at Greenknow.

Interesting in the 1851 census is the servant Agnes Hall because Elizabeth Currie's mother was Ann Hall, maybe there is a connection.

John and Elizabeth Young had come from Kirknewton in Nortumberlandshire via Coldstream where my Adam Young was born, then they moved to Greenknowe.

I haven't carried out a lot of research as yet on the Young family as yet but I will do very soon, how does the Hunter person tie in with the the Currie/Young family.

Thanks again for your valuable information, it's really appreciated.

Regards
Gerry

Offline angusg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 February 12 07:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gerry,
  Mary Young Daur of John YOUNG and Elisabeth CURRIE was born
1840, at Gordon. On 7 Nov 1862 at Castle Street,  Duns she married
James Gordon SMITH.

here is their 1871 Census from SP
1871 Census Parish of Dunse, County of Berwick
02/04/1871 Census, RD; 735/00 001/00 040, Page 39& 40
Enumeration District No.1 Enumerator William Home WAITE
Rooms with windows 3
Schedule # 276 Dwelling 8 Gourlay's Wynd

James G SMITH Head Mar 28 M Plasterer                     Ayton    Berwick
          Mary  SMITH Wife    Mar 30 F                                  Gordon  Berwick
       William SMITH  Son             7 M Scholar                     Dunse   Berwick
Elizabeth C. SMITH Daur             5 F Scholar                      Dunse   Berwick
        John Y SMITH Son              3 M                                 Dunse   Berwick
    James G. SMITH Son              1 M                                 Dunse   Berwick
   Elizabeth YOUNG Mother  W.  74 F                                              England
                                 in Law

Dunse is modern day Duns was the county seat (Town). Note that Widow Elizabeth YOUNG is
staying with them in the Census.

Elizabeth Currie SMITH was born 28 April 1865 at Market Place Dunse
29 January 1897 1 East Castle Road, Edinburgh
After banns according to the Forms of the Free Churchshe married James HUNTER a gamekeeper. They lived at Rowieston Lodge, Greenlaw, Sometimes Inkbottle lodge
because of the shape.

James Gordon Hunter was born at the lodge on January 1 st 1898.
Tragically Elizabeth died January 5th 1898.
Monumental Inscription in Greenlaw Churchyard,
 Border Family History Society Publication  "MI" for
Greenlaw  # 4", Published ? isbn 1 874232 04 4
Entry # 479

" Erected by James HUNTER in memory of his wife
Elizabeth Currie SMITH who died Rowieston Lodge
6.1.1898"

I don't know what happened to James HUNTER I have not found his death.
His son was brought up by the extended HUNTER family in Gordon. He was a Joiner by trade, as most of the Gordon HUNTER's were from the 1750's to present day.

James Gordon HUNTER married Catherine Glasgow Guthrie HEADRIDGE
at Gordon on 7 July 1934, at the Station House, where her mother was the Station Mistress,
(one of the first female Station Masters in Scotland).

They had four children, one is in Western Australia.
James Gordon Hunter  died 5 April 1959 at Main Street, Gordon (There are only 4 streets)
Catherine  his wife who was crippled by a debilitating illness for many years died 12 Jan 1986
at the Inch Hospital, Kelso.  Catherine was my wife's Aunt. I knew her.

Hope this all helps,

Yours Aye,
Angus
Watt, Beattie,Glass,McDougal, Guthrie,Blackie,Pringle,Balmer,Headridge,Hunter,France,Greenhill
Gordon,Lawson,Anderson,Reid,Stott,Milne,Jackson,Walker McArthur,Hardie.Dunnet,Dundas
Thorburn, Mosley, Stewart, Wood, Gladstone, Darrie,Melrose
Duff,and in the States/Canada: Kidder,Duff, Blake,Robertson,Kerr.

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 February 12 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angus,

Thanks very much for the information on Mary Young, its fantastic, she would have been Adam Young's sister.

Adam Young was born at Coldstream in Berwickshire possibly on 1st January 1830.  Adam is on the 1841 census at Greenknow and on the 1851 he is 20, a Blacksmith Servant at West Drumhead Perthshire, he was a blacksmith later on in Victoria Australia.

I dont know exactly when Adam Young migrated to Victoria but it could have been in 1857.

Adam Young married Catherine Hayes on 22nd April 1862 at Smythesdale in Victoria which was a gold mining area and Adam Young was a blacksmith.

Catherine Hayes was born in Tipperary Ireland in 1839

Three children were born at Smythesdale, Victoria.
John William Young 1863 and went to Western Australia, he died in 1938.
Adam Edward Young 3rd Dec 1864 and died on 17th March 1902 at Charters Towers Queensland.
Thomas Young in 1867 and died in 1867.

Catherine Young died on 17th March 1870 at Smyhsdale, she was only 31. 
Adam Young died on 17th December 1880 at Smythesdale, he was only 51.

I understand that the two boys were taken in by Catherine Young's sister after Adam Young died in 1880 (Catherine Young had died in 1870) and eventually Adam Edward Young made his way to Charters Towers in North Queensland a gold rush area and he married Rosina Meier (born 23rd Dec 1876) on 15th April 1895 but Adam Edward Young died in 1902 but 3 children were born between 1895 and 1901 at Charters Towers.  May Catherine Young, my Grandmother was one of the children and she was born on 21st November 1895 but she died on 25th May 1933.

Rose Young, Adam's wife remarried on 23rd Jan 1904 at Charters Towers to a Robert Holt, they had one child, Robert Holt junior.   

This is an abridged version and I can provide more details if need be plus a photo of Adam Edward Young's inscription.

I have also found the marriage of John Young and Elizabeth Curry on 29th November 1822 at Kirknewton in Northumberlanshire.

Thanks again it's great family information.

Gerry

PS: I also have family from Strathdon/Glenbucket in Aberdeenshire.

Offline tomstree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 30 September 12 11:28 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am researching the family of John Young and Elizabeth Curry from Greenknowe, Gordon.
My interest stems from the fact that I am a direct descendant of their youngest son Robert Thomson Young 1837-1922.
I would welcome any information that you might hold on the Youngs/Currys.
Aitchison originally in Dumfriesshire/Kirkcudbrightshire.
Cannon from Kirkcudbrightshire.
Carson from Kirkcudbrightshire.
Jamieson from Kirkcudbrightshire.
Mcarthur from Argyll, Leith and Glasgow.
Mackay originally from Sutherland.
Melville originally from Sutherland.
Young from Northumberland, Roxburgh, Berwick & Kirkcudbrightshire