Author Topic: 1841 census - Walthew - MIA in Chester?  (Read 7098 times)

Offline iforani

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 census - Walthew - MIA in Chester?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 23 February 13 07:19 GMT (UK) »
This is an old post but it just came up when I googled the name of Elizabeth Holland Walthew. This lady was married to a  man, called Adolphus William Bodill who I believe was my g grandfather & who was transported in 1846 to Tasmania in Australia. He was transported for 14 years for dealing in stolen goods (watches). They had been married on 03.12.1833 & had I believe 5 children. I think that Elizabeth remarried to some one called Lysaght after Adolphus was sent to Australia. I have good reason to believe that Adolphus met my g grandmother when he was working for her in Hobart. I also think that he absconded in 1851 as this was just 2 months before my g grandfather was born. Do you have any information on Elizabeth who was left behind to raise the children?
McKay (Kildare, Ireland), Aldred (Manchester), Smith, Cooper (Kent), Howlett, Bodill, Atkins (Northamptonshire), Smart (UK, Africa), Brown, Bryant, Dixon, Walton

Offline Neptune

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 23 February 13 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Just had a quick look -

Possible marriage-

Free BMD - Edward Lysaght to Elizabeth Holland Bodell 1857 West Derby Liverpool
Lancashire BMD Edward Lysaght to Elizabeth H Bodill or Walthew(2 entries) 1857 St Mary's Kirkdale

In 1861 Elizabeth Lysaght is living in Birkenhead Cheshire(over the water from Liverpool)- she is with two of her children Kate and Adolphus(Bodell). Elizabeth is a schoolmistress.

In 1851 some of the children are living with their grandmother Eleanor (her surname transcribed as Matthew) in Liverpool.

In 1841 the family are living in Scotland

I'm just on my way out but will have another look for you later and can you more details of the census.

Hope this helps

Neptune
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iforani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 23 February 13 12:05 GMT (UK) »
 :D Thank you, Neptune. This is very much appreciated, ta. I will copy & paste this to my records. It is interesting to note that Elizabeth's children moved in with her mother. That is comforting to know that they had a home after their father was sent away so suddenly to Australia (never to return unless under an alias). It is also fresh news about Elizabeth, that she was a school teacher. There is an article in the news about the bankruptcy of Adolphus's partner. This would not have made life easy for him & obviously why he started a life of crime. Thank you again, so much.  :D
McKay (Kildare, Ireland), Aldred (Manchester), Smith, Cooper (Kent), Howlett, Bodill, Atkins (Northamptonshire), Smart (UK, Africa), Brown, Bryant, Dixon, Walton

Offline iforani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 23 February 13 12:18 GMT (UK) »
I just tried to attach an article here but couldn't, about an article taken from a Glascow newspaper re Adolphus's partner going bankrupt in 1842. They had an oil & colour business. So yes, this confirms that they or at least he, was living in Glasgow. Thanks for this.  :D

Offline Neptune

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 25 February 13 00:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

Elizabeth Lysaght widow age 58 Lodginghouse Keeper 21 Sandon Pl? Liverpool
Adolphus Bodell age 26 clerk
Helen Drew age 17 servant
Laura MD Sausman Boarder  and two lodgers

Adolphus Bodill age 36 Cotton broker 137 Bebington Road Wirral
Elizabeth Lysaght Mother age 68
Margaret Procter age 19 visitor
Mary Jane Hughes age 21 General Servant

Cheshire BMD
Death 1890  Elizabeth Holland Lysaght  age 77 Tranmere Birkenhead
Death 1916 Adolphus Bodill age 71 Tranmere Birkenhead

Marriage 1871 Kate Bodill to William Butler St Peters Rock Ferry Birkenhead
Marriage 1881 Adolphus Bodill to Margaret L Procter St Andrews Bebington

Regards

Neptune

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iforani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 31 August 14 03:27 BST (UK) »
A belated thank you Neptune. I only just saw your last post here when I logged on to view the information that you previously posted. Many thanks again!