Author Topic: DAVID COTTER-MIDLETON CO CORK  (Read 2532 times)

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DAVID COTTER-MIDLETON CO CORK
« on: Thursday 01 December 11 12:09 GMT (UK) »

I have David Cotter on 1901 Census age 24yrs. Parents Maurice Cotter & Elizabeth Geary in Midleton.
There are baptism records for his siblings, none for David & no Civil Birth Cert.
He has disappeared after 1901 census as have searched All Ireland in 1911 & no trace.
Have also searched immigration to USA - while there were a couple of Davids from Midleton, none with the above parents.
Would welcome any suggestions on where I might now go as after close on 10 years I think I have possibly exhausted most sources.  Thanks

Offline loudam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: DAVID COTTER-MIDLETON CO CORK
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 December 11 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried a few years either side of possible year of birth?? Or just searching for the surname, as it often happened that they were baptised one name but went by a different one..

This is one birth record that could be a possible one  https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FB94-FPX  it comes up under a Cork search of just Cotter...
O Riordan/Riordan / Dorgan/ Barry (Cork & Rathcooney)
O Sullivan & O Shea/Shea (Cork)
O Connell (Cork)
Walsh (Cork & Killarney)
Baldwin & Stanton, Sullivan, (Cork)
Lonergan (Cork, Tipperary, Limerick)
Deady ( Cork-Kanturk)

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 01:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thank you for your interest.  I think I must have all avenues explored at this point.  Have looked either side of 1877 date, also checked with GRO office Roscommon and Cork BMD office - no result.  Seems like David has disappeared off the radar.  I abandon the search but keep going back hoping I will come across something. So difficult when one goes back so far and records so sparce but cannot understand that the rest of the family Baptism records are available and he being the youngest and within Civil Reg is not available.

Best regards

Offline loudam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 11:34 GMT (UK) »
I've 2 grandmothers that there is no birth record for either!!!! One is understandable because she was "adopted" well as adopted as you could be in 1926, but the other there should be a record and theres not, so I've one more church to try to see if I can find a record for her then I don't know what!

Was he the youngest in the family, often an older daughter had a baby but her mother would then bring the child up so to everyone the baby was just another sibling but sometimes they were actually belonging to one of the daughters

When you say you tried Roscommon, did you try sending a list with possible names and reference numbers including other male names, along with the parents names? I've done that where I knew the parents names but not the child and put list together to see if I could find them, and I've had 2 results...
O Connell (Cork)
Walsh (Cork & Killarney)
Deady ( Cork-Kanturk)

Offline loudam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 12:14 GMT (UK) »
I'm assuming you've tried looking for a death record between 1901 and 1911 too.?????
O Connell (Cork)
Walsh (Cork & Killarney)
Deady ( Cork-Kanturk)