Author Topic: Two Marriages - early 19th century Bristol  (Read 1386 times)

Offline tanyal

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Two Marriages - early 19th century Bristol
« on: Thursday 01 December 11 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello. :)

I have details of these two marriages from the Bristol marriage transcription CDs, but I'm hoping to get more detail from the records themselves (parish of origin, witnesses).

They are:

David Hill married Mary Ann Symons, 16 January 1808, St Augustine the Less, Bristol
James Hill married Rachel Godding, 11 June 1813, St George, Bristol

Berkshire: Hale
Cheshire: Bevington
Gloucestershire: Hale
London: Randall, Perry
Warwickshire: Tickle
Worcestershire: Allen, Baylis, Bebbington, Bevington, Bolton, Brook, Dudley, Hale, Perks, Tickle, Williams, Perks

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Two Marriages - early 19th century Bristol
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 December 11 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Parish records don't show parish of origin?
Just the whereabouts of the happy couple for the "qualifying" period.

I have been married twice - and used a "convenient" address on both occassions!  ;D :o ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline tanyal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 December 11 20:11 GMT (UK) »
I know, but I'm grasping at straws. Sometimes, the parish that is listed is different to where they were living (I've found more than a few entries where the parish mentioned is in a different town or county), and neither groom seems to have been born in the Bristol area. :(

I'm hoping that the names of the witnesses, at least, will give me further clues.
Worcestershire: Allen, Baylis, Bebbington, Bevington, Bolton, Brook, Dudley, Hale, Perks, Tickle, Williams, Perks

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 December 11 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Have you not been able to find these couples in the later census returns, not necessarily the 1841 which is a bit too basic for information, but at least the 1851.

Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)

Offline tanyal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 December 11 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately, I believe three of them (David, Mary Ann, and James) died before the 1841 census: I have the Bristol burials CD for the time period and found  burials for David and Mary Ann in St Augustine, and James in St Phillips and Jacob (where he lived and baptised his children), all at an age that seems reasonable. I haven't been able to find any one of them in any of the censuses.

This is really annoying, since I'm trying to narrow down the parents of my ancestor Mary Ann Hill. She was the daughter of either David and Mary Ann (my personal favourite: if this is her she named two of sons, Edward and Frederick, after her brothers) or John and Jane (haven't even found a marriage for them). For that matter, I haven't been able to find most of their children in the censuses, and no burials for them either. There's only a few that I'm certain about, with no other members of their family living with or near them.

Offline Sue15

• RootsChat Senior
  • No one is too old to need a Teddy Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 January 12 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Finally got to BRO - sorry for the delay
Marriage of David Hill to Mary Ann Symons  16.01.1808
St Augustine the Less. This marriage was by Licence and the witnesses were Edward Symons and could be Fanny Dawkins.

I looked at the Marriage Licence Allegations which was between David Hill described as a Mariner and Edward Symons as a Cordwainer. Both of the parish of St Augustine and this was sworn on 15.1.1808. I think its safe to assume Edward was father of Mary Ann - who was a spinster at marriage

James Hill married Rachel Godding  11.06.1813 St George Bristol by Banns. Witnesses were Caleb Batten and Betty could be Stenning or Fleming - very unclear.

Hope this helps in some way
Sue

Davies- Llandegly, Cefnllys
Lloyd, Old and New Radnor Glascwm
Holl, Radnor, Kington
Mannering(s), Chatham Hinckley
England & Iliffe in Hinckley
Whitlock, Wilts, Glos and Cardiff
Howell, Cardiff
Hoddinott, Sturminster Newton,  - Weston S Mare
Thymian Eiling, Rahmer, Heitmuller -Hanover and Braunchsweig Germany
Wellings- Shropshire
Weaver . Cinderford and Walford Herefordshire also Ross, Australia & Pontypridd
Thomas - Williamstown, Tonypandy
Trembath - Cornwall & Williamstown Wales

Offline tanyal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 July 13 16:38 BST (UK) »
Oh no, I'm so sorry. :(

Somehow I forgot all about this thread, and have only now decided to look into this brickwall again.

Thank you so much!