8 (5.8%)
I'm scared they'll clone me
3 (2.2%)
I've already done it
52 (37.7%)
Other (explain)
28 (20.3%)

Total Members Voted: 138

Author Topic: DNA Testing - Why Not  (Read 51549 times)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DNA Testing - Why Not
« Reply #234 on: Thursday 04 May 17 14:47 BST (UK) »
Pejic

I have been following this quest of yours and although I am not fully certain I have completely got it I thought I would make a suggestion.

If you look at

https://dna-explained.com/2017/04/24/which-dna-test-is-best/

which another poster put on a different thread the other day you will see ftDNA do something called Phased Family Matching which may be a way forward for you.

I won't say anything else at this stage so that I do not prejudice you one way or the other but perhaps after you have read it that may be something another poster or myself could try and see if it is of assistance to you.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Pejic

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: Thursday 04 May 17 16:49 BST (UK) »
RobertCasey - thanks again - I am not concerned about AEM being the ancestor of the tree, I believe he is.  What concerns me is that he might appear in it more than once!  If he doesn't then I wish to leave some trace to match to future descendants of 'unknown' who might emerge.

davidft - that is a fantastic link explaining the subject in lay terms (avoiding clades and SNPS etc), it will take some time to study properly but at the moment the 'adoptee support' description seems to offer me some hope.  The problem I am grappling with is that AEM appears as the father of ICEM on her birth certificate and the father of LIM on LIM's marriage certificate, with a cloud of obfuscation, downright lies and denials surrounding the father of LIM (not shown on LIM's birth certificate) - including refusals to submit DNA samples.  In addition ICEM had another (defective) child palmed off onto somebody else.

If anything more occurs to either of you - or anyone else of course, please let me know, though perhaps my enquiry should be a thread on its own.

Richard Wernham (Berkshire 18th century),
William Hissey (1805 to 1813, Hampstead Norris),
Kapirin (Siberia 19th Century),
Kitching 1850,
Mary Howse born 1806 ish,
Chris Truelove marr. John Pocock 2-7-1696, Kintbury, Berks

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: Thursday 04 May 17 17:41 BST (UK) »

If anything more occurs to either of you - or anyone else of course, please let me know, though perhaps my enquiry should be a thread on its own.

If you contact the mods they may be able to take your relevant posts, and replies, out of this thread and start a new thread for them
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline scooper200

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: Sunday 21 January 18 22:54 GMT (UK) »
I've done my YDNA to 67 markers. No matches worth while pursuing. All I can say is not why not DNA but Y DNA?

Offline RobertCasey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Irish research - specially R-L226 (Dal Cais)
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: Monday 22 January 18 04:42 GMT (UK) »
I've done my YDNA to 67 markers. No matches worth while pursuing. All I can say is not why not DNA but Y DNA?
How many matches do you have at 67 markers ? What is the genetic distance of these matches ? Are any of these testers (or yourself) either YSNP predicted or YSNP tested ? What surnames are found ? What geographic area are your male ancestors from ?

There are two reasons why a certain number of testers (10 to 20 %) have few matches: 1) their line does not have very many living descendants (died out or daughtered out); 2) their line has not have had many tested to date (random clusters that have not well be tested to date or belong to geographies where the number of testers is more an investment in future vs. immediate matches).
Casey - Tipperary or Clare, Ireland
Kelly - Ireland
Brooks, Bryan, Shelton (2), Harper, Williamson - England
Tucker, Arrington, Stevenson, Shears, Jarvis - England
Hill (2), Reed, Olliff, Jackson, Potter, Cruse, Charlton - England
Davis. Martin, Ellison, Woodward, Alderson - England
Pace - Shropshire, England
Revier - Netherlands
Messer - Germany
Wininger - Switzerland

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: Monday 22 January 18 06:20 GMT (UK) »

I have found the same with my OH's YDNA test.

I have come to the conclusion -: common name - working class - stayed in England/UK - no male descendants have taken the test.

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: Monday 22 January 18 10:33 GMT (UK) »
How many matches do you have at 67 markers ? What is the genetic distance of these matches ?
I have 1 at distance of 5. My family is from Hallaton Leicestershire 1650-1843 and my match has a tree that says Godmanchester Huntingdonshire. 1750c-1860

I have said before I am happy to wait. I understand I am also in the minority for my family name. Only ( procreative ) son of an only son. Not many cousins on my dads side. Which is why I was hoping for a little more connection to the UK. But I am patient
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline scooper200

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: Monday 22 January 18 12:41 GMT (UK) »
I  have 4 matches at 67 markers with a genetic distances of 6,6,7 &7. My male ancestor is from County Kilkenny (Rower Parish), Ireland. Names are Cody, Wicker, Bennett, and Bray. Both Cody and Wicker have Cody as earliest common ancestor and 2 are in the same predicted Haplogroup as I am. Iknow nothing of YSNP testing thst has been done, none here.

Offline RobertCasey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Irish research - specially R-L226 (Dal Cais)
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: Monday 22 January 18 21:36 GMT (UK) »
I  have 4 matches at 67 markers with a genetic distances of 6,6,7 &7. My male ancestor is from County Kilkenny (Rower Parish), Ireland. Names are Cody, Wicker, Bennett, and Bray. Both Cody and Wicker have Cody as earliest common ancestor and 2 are in the same predicted Haplogroup as I am. Iknow nothing of YSNP testing thst has been done, none here.
I assume that the predicted haplogroup is R-M269 (this is around 75 % of all Irish testers - but some are haplogroup I, R1a, E and J as well. I assume that your surname is Cody. Have you joined the Cody FTDNA Surname project yet. If not log into FTDNA using your FTDNA Kit number and password (required by FTDNA to let them know who is requesting to join) and then click on this link:

https://worldfamilies.net/surnames/cody

Then click on "Join the Project" link in the top middle.

If you will then post your FTDNA ID, I will look at your YSTRs and run them them through my L21 SNP predictor tool (or you can run it yourself):

http://www.rcasey.net/DNA/R-L21_SNP_Predictor_Intro.html

Four matches are not too bad but not that great as well. This varies a lot. For the L226 project (one of the three large known haplogroups with Irish origins), we have one person with over 500 matches but others in the haplogroup with on three or four matches.
Casey - Tipperary or Clare, Ireland
Kelly - Ireland
Brooks, Bryan, Shelton (2), Harper, Williamson - England
Tucker, Arrington, Stevenson, Shears, Jarvis - England
Hill (2), Reed, Olliff, Jackson, Potter, Cruse, Charlton - England
Davis. Martin, Ellison, Woodward, Alderson - England
Pace - Shropshire, England
Revier - Netherlands
Messer - Germany
Wininger - Switzerland