8 (5.8%)
I'm scared they'll clone me
3 (2.2%)
I've already done it
52 (37.7%)
Other (explain)
28 (20.3%)

Total Members Voted: 138

Author Topic: DNA Testing - Why Not  (Read 51573 times)

Offline RobertCasey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Irish research - specially R-L226 (Dal Cais)
    • View Profile
Re: DNA Testing - Why Not
« Reply #243 on: Monday 22 January 18 21:39 GMT (UK) »
I  have 4 matches at 67 markers with a genetic distances of 6,6,7 &7. My male ancestor is from County Kilkenny (Rower Parish), Ireland. Names are Cody, Wicker, Bennett, and Bray. Both Cody and Wicker have Cody as earliest common ancestor and 2 are in the same predicted Haplogroup as I am. Iknow nothing of YSNP testing thst has been done, none here.
I assume that the predicted haplogroup is R-M269 (this is around 75 % of all Irish testers - but some are haplogroup I, R1a, E and J as well. I assume that your surname is Cody. Have you joined the Cody FTDNA Surname project yet. If not log into FTDNA using your FTDNA Kit number and password (required by FTDNA to let them know who is requesting to join) and then click on this link:

https://worldfamilies.net/surnames/cody

Then click on "Join the Project" link in the top middle.

If you will then post your FTDNA ID, I will then look at your YSTRs and run them them through my L21 SNP predictor tool (or you can run it yourself):

http://www.rcasey.net/DNA/R-L21_SNP_Predictor_Intro.html

Four matches are not too bad but is not that great as well. This varies a lot. For the L226 project (one of the three largest known haplogroups with Irish origins), we have one person with over 500 matches at 67 markers but others in the same haplogroup with only three or four matches.
Casey - Tipperary or Clare, Ireland
Kelly - Ireland
Brooks, Bryan, Shelton (2), Harper, Williamson - England
Tucker, Arrington, Stevenson, Shears, Jarvis - England
Hill (2), Reed, Olliff, Jackson, Potter, Cruse, Charlton - England
Davis. Martin, Ellison, Woodward, Alderson - England
Pace - Shropshire, England
Revier - Netherlands
Messer - Germany
Wininger - Switzerland

Offline scooper200

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: Monday 22 January 18 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, Robert, I forgot to mention my name is Walsh and not Cody. There are no Codys in my family tree. Yes, my predicted Haplogroup is R-M269. I have already joined the Walsh surname group (along with all the surname groups with surnames which are in my family tree) with no luck. One of my matches has a Bridget Walsh from County Kilkenny (as is my GGGF) in the family tree. I have emailed them and am still hoping for a reply.

Moderator comment: edited for content. ID and password removed

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: Monday 22 January 18 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Interesting my 2X great grandmother was Ann Troy(widow), nee Walsh who married my 2x great grandfather John Luffman at Alford (Lincs) on 25th December 1797. Could there be any of her DNA still traceable in me I had a 37 marker Y test in 2011-12.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline RobertCasey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Irish research - specially R-L226 (Dal Cais)
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 06:41 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, Robert, I forgot to mention my name is Walsh and not Cody. There are no Codys in my family tree. Yes, my predicted Haplogroup is R-M269. I have already joined the Walsh surname group (along with all the surname groups with surnames which are in my family tree) with no luck. One of my matches has a Bridget Walsh from County Kilkenny (as is my GGGF) in the family tree. I have emailed them and am still hoping for a reply.
I went to the Walsh FTDNA project and copied your YSTRs into both my L21 predictor tool and the NEVGEN Predictor Tool. My tool did not find any match but NEVGEN predicted you to be CTS3386 with 100 % probability. Your YSNP string is R1b>L21>DF13>ZZ10>CTS3386. You should join the CTS3386 project and ask for assistance. First, log into FTDNA using your ID and password (required by FTDNA to know who is making the request) and then click on the link below.

https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/r-1b-cts3386/dna-results

Then click on the JOIN buttion in the top right hand corner of the screen.

The FTDNA haplotree for haplogroup R has eleven branches under CTS3386. YFULL estimates that CTS3386 is around 3,900 years ago - not very close to genealogical time frames (which are around 1,000 years ago).

Casey - Tipperary or Clare, Ireland
Kelly - Ireland
Brooks, Bryan, Shelton (2), Harper, Williamson - England
Tucker, Arrington, Stevenson, Shears, Jarvis - England
Hill (2), Reed, Olliff, Jackson, Potter, Cruse, Charlton - England
Davis. Martin, Ellison, Woodward, Alderson - England
Pace - Shropshire, England
Revier - Netherlands
Messer - Germany
Wininger - Switzerland

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 07:21 GMT (UK) »
Probably not a good idea to post a password on a public forum

Moderator comment: removed
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 08:07 GMT (UK) »
Interesting my 2X great grandmother was Ann Troy(widow), nee Walsh who married my 2x great grandfather John Luffman at Alford (Lincs) on 25th December 1797. Could there be any of her DNA still traceable in me I had a 37 marker Y test in 2011-12.

I am a bit of a novice at this but I think you would need an autosomal test to look at connections with her DNA as the Y test just folows the male line. I did a mitrochondrial DNA test some years ago and it was a complete waster of time and money, but then did an autosomal (Family Finder) one and have found connections going back 5 generations (can be more if you are lucky), so it certainly should work for your 2xgreat grandmother!
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Angela.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline scooper200

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: Thursday 25 January 18 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Robert, for your efforts. Not sure what all this means yet, not sure I need to go down this road, but who knows?, no harm to inquire.