Author Topic: Mary MCDONALD born 1876 Mount Nugent Co Cavan  (Read 12830 times)

Offline Diamond65

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary MCDONALD born 1876 Mount Nugent Co Cavan
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 15 August 13 22:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Aghadowey
 I think your information is right as I belief Mary was born in Newcastle according to my cousin's family Tree, but if I remember rightly there is some link to Ireland but can't remember my Father's correct information
Winifred Simpson my late grandmother married Clarence crosskill had 3 children Eva, Leslie and Rowland crosskill who is my late father they all came from Grimsby/cleethorpes

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 15 August 13 23:42 BST (UK) »
Yes, fairly certain I'd found the right Simpson family.

Here's Winnie Simpson in LDS database- https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X7YV-8S1

We aren't allowed to do lookups from 1911 English census but if you check the banner across the top of the Home page here you should see an announcement about searching it for free. Search there for Winnie Simpson and you should find more details of the family.

To go back towards the start of this thread-
There is a birth for an Arthur Edmund SIMPSON in 1907 Belfast which would fit.
No, because his parents were Charles William Henry & Emily Jane Simpson.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline elsinore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 16 August 13 12:00 BST (UK) »
Dear Diamond65,
You and my husband are 3rd cousins.
William Owen Simpson was born 7 Jul 1867 in Dinapore, India and baptised 22 Jul 1867 in Dinapore. William Owen Simpson was the son of William Henry Simpson & Margaret Kelly.
Moorhouse (WRY) Livermore (Cambs) Castle (Kent) Baskeyfield (Staffs) McKenzie (Moray & Cumberland)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 16 August 13 16:08 BST (UK) »
Sorry elsinore but there's still a problem here.

You have William Owen Simpson born 7 July 1867 in India, son of William Henry Simpson & Margaret Kelly.
At the start you said he married Mary McDonald (born 1876) 1892 in Dublin, Ireland and had: Bill, Arthur Edmund (1907), May, Winnifred Abigail, Doris and Frank

Arthur Edmund born 1907 (Belfast) is not from the same family and the William & Mary don't seem to have gotten married in Ireland. Winnifred Abigail certainly belongs to the family of Diamond65.

If you re-read reply #17 I posted enough details to show that Diamond65's William Simpson was born in Yorkshire, not India, and his wife in Newcastle on Tyne, not Cavan.

It might be a good idea to go back through records step by step to see if 1) these are the same family and some of your family information isn't accurate or 2) these are too separate William Simpsons married to a Mary.

If you want to post any known children of your William Owen Simpson we can check through available records to try to sort out the confusion.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline elsinore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 16 August 13 16:41 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Sorry about the confusion - I amended the details I had about the family since my first post. The original confusion came about because of a story in the family:

"She ran away from home and married against her parents wishes at 16. The problem was probably caused by religion as Mary was Catholic and William wasn't although he was baptised in a Catholic Church."

The age 16 and the marriage in Dublin in 1892 fitted in with the story as did the Mary McDonald born 1876 Mount Nugent Co Cavan.

This is what I have now:
Descendants of William Owen SIMPSON
-----------------------------------
1-William Owen SIMPSON
  born: 7 Jul 1867, Army Married Quarters, Dinapore, India
  died: 9 Oct 1933, Grimsby, Lincolnshire
 +Mary McDONALD
  born: 1867, Newcastle on Tyne
  marr: 1892, Dublin ??????
  died: 24 Nov 1918, (Scartho Road Cemetery, Grimsby)
  parents:
|-----2-William SIMPSON
|       born: 1892
|       died: 5 Dec 1927, Hull Royal Infirmary
|-----2-Frank S. SIMPSON
|       born: Jan 1893, Glanford Brigg District, Lincolnshire
|       died:
|-----2-Winifred Abigail SIMPSON
|       born: Jan 1897, Glanford Brigg District, Lincolnshire
|       died:
|-----2-Doris Maud SIMPSON
|       born: Jul 1898, Glanford Brigg District, Lincolnshire
|       died:
|-----2-Arthur Edmund SIMPSON
|       born: Sep 1900, Glanford Brigg District, Lincolnshire
|       died:
|-----2-May SIMPSON
        born:
Moorhouse (WRY) Livermore (Cambs) Castle (Kent) Baskeyfield (Staffs) McKenzie (Moray & Cumberland)

Offline elsinore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 16 August 13 16:51 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I had an idea and looked at the ages of his parents and find that William Simpson snr. married Margaret Kelly on the 27th Nov 1865 at Wellington, India. His wife Margaret Kelly was born 1851 making her 14 years of age at marriage. Margaret Kelly's father was Irish. This could have been where the story in the family came from.
I have now found a better match for William jnr. marriage to Mary McDonald:
Dec 1891, Sunderland, 10a, 958

Offline Diamond65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 16 August 13 18:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Elsinore
   Thought you was kind of related. so my Dad would be your Husbands great Uncle, wow
The story I was told that William (i think) had been a stowaway on a ship, he arrived in England
we have an Aunt by marriage in cleethorpes and already sent her an email for more info
fingers crossed eh,
Will have to try and work it all out now

Thank you Aghadowey for your help, as the family move around you loose contact with them
Then when you want to know about the History It's too late

P.S on winifred birth certificate it states William simpson was a rope maker (looks like journeyman)
lived at fleetgate barton

Kath

Offline elsinore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 16 August 13 20:50 BST (UK) »
Dear Kath,
Your dad would be my husband's 2nd cousin once removed.
How strange you had the story of the stowaway! The story in my husband's family is that William Simpson snr born 1840 was first sent to serve on his uncle's ship in Plymouth. He was treated badly so jumped ship and joined the army. There was also talk about treasure in the West Indies! It appears that two of his children went looking for this treasure.
My mother-in-law remembers going to Grimsby to convalesce when she was aged 4. She remembers a big house with servants. She also remembers this Grimsby family visiting Huddersfield and staying in a posh hotel.
Looking forward to hearing what your aunt remembers about the family.
Linda