Author Topic: Magauran-Stapleton  (Read 2946 times)

Offline hfc1875

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Magauran-Stapleton
« on: Friday 02 December 11 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am looking to find when my GGG Grandfather John Magauran was born. He married a Mary Stapleton on 30/07/1837 in Mohill RC parish. Are there birth records going back to the early 1800's?
John and Mary had 4 children born between 1838 and 1849 one of these being my GG Grandfather James Who was born on 28/10/1838 in Mohill Parish. Is it possible to find the townland they lived in?
The family emigrated and the next record I can find is in the Scotland's 1861 census where their name has been changed to McGovern. The records show Mary is a widow aged 60, if my GGG Grandfather was around the same age as Mary when they married it would mean he was born around 1800.

I am also trying to find out when and where John died. We think it would have been between 1849 (when the youngest child was born) and 1861. I can find no record in Scotland and not having much luck on the Roots Ireland website. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
Co.Leitrim, Scotland, McGovern, Magauran, Stapleton

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Magauran-Stapleton
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 December 11 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Baptism & Marriage records for the RC parish of Mohill go back to 1836, but like many RC registers dont include death/burials.

Civil registration of deaths started on 1864... so too late to include a death for John if it took place before 1861.

see : Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline hfc1875

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Magauran-Stapleton
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 December 11 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shane

Thanks for your quick response and info. We have most probably traced as far back as we can, unless anyone has further information on John Magauran. My wife and I are coming over to Ireland late Jan early Feb and plan to visit Mohill and the surrounding area so that I can see where my ancestors were from.
Thanks again.
Co.Leitrim, Scotland, McGovern, Magauran, Stapleton