Author Topic: Parents of John McHugh  (Read 3417 times)

Offline grindstonedave

• RootsChat Extra
  • Me Da's Townland
    • View Profile
Parents of John McHugh
« on: Monday 05 December 11 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Seeking parental information on John McHugh, who was born abt. 1851.
He was married 15 April 1871 to Bridget Hynes in Calry Parish.
He and Bridget had two children in Sligo; Margaret (1872) and Mary Rose (1874) before emigrating to Glasgow, where they had 5 additional children.

Bridget's parents were James Hynes and Margaret Tierney, so any information along these lines would be helpful also.

Thanks for your interest.
Co. Antrim: Reid, McCaw, Gardiner, Holmes, Eccles, Ferguson, Beck, Bell;  Co. Derry: Macaulay;  Co. Donegal: Doherty, Cunningham; Co. Sligo: Cunningham, McHugh, King(?), Hynes, McCann, Patterson, Tierney.
Scotland: Clan Donnachaidh(Reid), Clan Cunningham, Clan Bell.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of John McHugh
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 December 11 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Have you a marriage cert for John and Bridget or certs for any of the children ?
A marriage cert should give you father's names and occupation which would answer part of your question, and help your search further back, and birth certs would give a more detailed residence for the family later on...

John's birth would be before the start of civil records in 1864, so you would need to search for church records for his baptism and earlier details of his family.  His residence at the time of marriage may provide some clues..

see: Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 December 11 17:56 GMT (UK) »
John & Bridget’s marriage was registered in Sligo 1871 Volume 7, Page 367.
Elwyn

Offline grindstonedave

• RootsChat Extra
  • Me Da's Townland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 December 11 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Shane and Elwyn, for your prompt replies.  My family history seems to be plagued by inter-faith marriages (of which I am guilty, also), so knowing which church records to investigate is sometimes difficult. Thanks for the general guidance as well.
@Elwyn, do you have a specific link to that marriage record?
Cheers, Dave
Co. Antrim: Reid, McCaw, Gardiner, Holmes, Eccles, Ferguson, Beck, Bell;  Co. Derry: Macaulay;  Co. Donegal: Doherty, Cunningham; Co. Sligo: Cunningham, McHugh, King(?), Hynes, McCann, Patterson, Tierney.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 December 11 20:41 GMT (UK) »
You can find the BMD references for that marriage on the Irish BMD Index on the FamilySearch website - the link is in the introduction topic I posted earlier. You can use the references mentioned above to order a research cert from the GRO which will show you the record of the marriage.

see:
  Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon
  Details included on a Marriage Cert

Here's the entry on the Index for Bridget : link
A similar entry is listed for John with the matching references ..i.e. the registration district, year/quarter, volume & page

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline grindstonedave

• RootsChat Extra
  • Me Da's Townland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 December 11 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again, Shane.  I think I'm getting the hang of the terminology.  I was just on your links as you replied, and know where to go next. :)