Author Topic: William Browning of Fletching, Sussex  (Read 4784 times)

Offline sgrollitt

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
William Browning of Fletching, Sussex
« on: Tuesday 06 December 11 08:52 GMT (UK) »
William Browning was born on 18 Mar 1800 in Fletching, Sussex. He married on 29 Apr 1840 to Elizabeth Stillar in Hartfield, Sussex. He died in 1880.

William was a Broom Maker and grew up in Ashdown Forest, Hartfield. During his married life he lived at Maresfield, West Hoathley, Fletching, and Chelwood Gate, all within a few miles of his birth place.

William was the only child of Thomas Browning (b.18 Jan 1770 in Fletching, d.9 Nov 1844 in Witch Cross, Maresfield) and Martha. Thomas married Martha in 1798 in Hartfield. Thomas drowned while visiting his son, William shortly before the birth of Thomas.

Thomas's parents were Thomas Browning (1735–1810) and Mary Cheeseman (1738–1806). Thomas was born on 28 Dec 1735 in Roxton. He married Mary Cheeseman on 6 Jan 1767 in fletching. He died aged 74 on 2 Nov 1810 and is buried at the Church of England Cemetery in Fletching.

Mary Cheeseman was born on the 5 Mar 1738 in Fletching. She was baptised on 10 Feb 1739 in Hadlow, Kent. She died in Fletching on the 17 Dec 1806 and is buried there. Her father was John Cheeseman.

Thomas's parents were John Browning (b.1706 in Roxton, Bedfordshire) and Sarah Venn (b.1710 in Roxton, Bedfordshire).

Is there any more information about the Browning family?

Offline Lochie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Browning of Fletching, Sussex
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 August 13 10:32 BST (UK) »
hello, we are new to this site.  Our ancestor was William Browning born fletching 01/09/1848 3rd child of the mentioned William Browning below in your posting.
We know a little of William, who left London 15/1/1866 aboard the PG Blanchard arriving in Melbourne Australia 18/5/1866 when he was aged 17.  My husband is a descendant of William.

We travelled to Uk in 2004.  We visited Fletching in hope of finding the headstones of Thomas & Mary Browning (nee Cheeseman) who we were advised were both buried in the church grounds of Church of England, Thomas died 2/11/1810 some 4 years after Mary.  Unfortunately we could not find the headstones - we would really appreciate a photo or site map of where to locate the headstones, so that when we next travel we could again call to find the headstones.  We live in northern NSW Australia. 
My mother in law, Noreen Browning has some moe detailed information of the family tree which I am currently researching. 
Looking forward to receiving your posting or email, not sure how this site works, this is my first attemp.

quote author=sgrollitt link=topic=570014.msg4222656#msg4222656 date=1323161521]
William Browning was born on 18 Mar 1800 in Fletching, Sussex. He married on 29 Apr 1840 to Elizabeth Stillar in Hartfield, Sussex. He died in 1880.

William was a Broom Maker and grew up in Ashdown Forest, Hartfield. During his married life he lived at Maresfield, West Hoathley, Fletching, and Chelwood Gate, all within a few miles of his birth place.

William was the only child of Thomas Browning (b.18 Jan 1770 in Fletching, d.9 Nov 1844 in Witch Cross, Maresfield) and Martha. Thomas married Martha in 1798 in Hartfield. Thomas drowned while visiting his son, William shortly before the birth of Thomas.

Thomas's parents were Thomas Browning (1735–1810) and Mary Cheeseman (1738–1806). Thomas was born on 28 Dec 1735 in Roxton. He married Mary Cheeseman on 6 Jan 1767 in fletching. He died aged 74 on 2 Nov 1810 and is buried at the Church of England Cemetery in Fletching.

Mary Cheeseman was born on the 5 Mar 1738 in Fletching. She was baptised on 10 Feb 1739 in Hadlow, Kent. She died in Fletching on the 17 Dec 1806 and is buried there. Her father was John Cheeseman.

Thomas's parents were John Browning (b.1706 in Roxton, Bedfordshire) and Sarah Venn (b.1710 in Roxton, Bedfordshire).

[/quote]

Offline Lochie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 August 13 10:35 BST (UK) »
hello, we are new to this site.  Our ancestor was William Browning born fletching 01/09/1848 3rd child of the mentioned William Browning below in your posting.
We know a little of William, who left London 15/1/1866 aboard the PG Blanchard arriving in Melbourne Australia 18/5/1866 when he was aged 17.  My husband is a descendant of William.

We travelled to Uk in 2004.  We visited Fletching in hope of finding the headstones of Thomas & Mary Browning (nee Cheeseman) who we were advised were both buried in the church grounds of Church of England, Thomas died 2/11/1810 some 4 years after Mary.  Unfortunately we could not find the headstones - we would really appreciate a photo or site map of where to locate the headstones, so that when we next travel we could again call to find the headstones.  We live in northern NSW Australia. 
My mother in law has some moe detailed information of the family tree which I am currently researching. 
Looking forward to receiving your posting or email, not sure how this site works, this is my first attemp.

quote author=sgrollitt link=topic=570014.msg4222656#msg4222656 date=1323161521]

[/quote]

Offline RobinBrowning

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 August 13 19:55 BST (UK) »
Hello!

I'm afraid I can't shed any light on William, but I am related to some Brownings from Fletching. My ancestor Anthony James Browning was born 1862 and married Ellen Chatfield (b 1863). According to the 1891 census he ran the greengrocers/drapery shop in the village.

His father was called Anthony, but apart from that I have no more information about him. Others researching this line have concluded that his parents were Anthony Browning and Ann Hummerston, and that Anthony Jr's first name was omitted on the census to avoid confusion, listed just as James Browning. However, I have found that THIS family in question is actually Ellen Chatfield's uncle and cousins through her mother Hannah Browning. (Yes it's confusing, Ellen marrying Brownings and being related to them too, but I don't THINK that she married her first cousin.)

As our two Browning families are most likely in some way related, I thought it would be good to make contact.

Look forward to your response,

Robin Browning
Browning - Fletching, Sussex / Kensal Rise
Wells - Bethnal Green / Deptford, Erith
Wichall - Coln St Aldwyn, Gloucs / Swindon
Whiting - Althorne, Essex / Erith
Wellbelove - Iver, Bucks / Egham
White - Erith / Hammersmith
Gladman - Amersham, Bucks
Eastop - Glasgow
Chatfield - Fletching
Hopkins - Stalbridge, Dorset
Mackney - Deptford / Sandwich, Kent
Meloy - Barking / Essex
Dover - Amersham
Raven - Steeple, Essex
Crawford - Islington / Scotland

Offline Lochie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 August 13 11:30 BST (UK) »
Dear Robin,
It is good to hear from you.  The Anthony James Browning you mention is not listed in the family tree that we have but I wonder if he was related to James Browning.  From what I have James Browning was the 4th son of Thomas Browning & Mary Cheeseman born in Fletching County 2/1/1775.  He married Ann and they had 2 children Hannah & Edwin Peter.  He is the brother of William Browning that was mentioned in the original posting.  There is also another James Browning listed who was born 07/05/1825.  He was the 5th child of John Browning & Jane Piper.  So how does this fit?
Our records list the Thomas Browning born around 1736 married Mary Cheeseman 6/1/1767 at Church of England Fletching.  They had 4 children - John, Thomas, William & James.  My husband, Paul's family tree follows William the 3rd son, I wonder if yours follows James the 4th son?
Following the immigration to Australia our Browning's lived in Sydney, Mudgee and later Maclean in northern NSW where my husbands family still live.
Where do you live - are you still in the Fletching area or did your ancestors also immigrate?
Paul & Sue Browning.

Offline RobinBrowning

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 August 13 11:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul and Sue,

You remember I told you that my Anthony Browning's wife, Ellen Chatfield, was the daughter of a Browning? Well that Browning was none other than your Hannah Browning, daughter of James and Ann! :)

However, the records I have found indicate that James and Ann had another child, Anthony (b. 1828) - and this is the Anthony that I was saying that others are confusing for my Anthony James's father Anthony.

(Too many "Anthony"s in that sentence but I hope it made sense!)

Anthony (son of James and Ann) seemingly married Lucy Jackson and had James (b. 1864), Charlotte (b. 1866) and Alfred John (b. 1867). My research of this branch is, however, incomplete.

Nevertheless, it does seem that we are related via this section of the Brownings - you via William, us via James!

To give you a bit more backstory: Hannah Browning married Thomas Chatfield and had 5 children, one of whom was the aforementioned Ellen Chatfield (b. 1863 in Danehill), who married Anthony James Browning (1862-1916). They lived in Fletching at the greengrocers/drapery shop until the late 1890s when for an as-yet-unknown reason they moved to Kensal Rise in Middlesex (now NW London). They had 8 children altogether, Nellie, Horace, Eva, Winifred, Albert, Cecil, Ronald and Hilda. All but Ronald made it to adulthood, and I'm a descendent of Horace through his son (my grandfather), also called Ronald.

Horace frequently moved all over the country for work (he was something of an entrepreneur), and by the time my Grandad was born they were back in Sussex. Eventually, they moved to Belvedere in Kent (now SE London), which is about 2 miles from where my immediate family is based.

If you wish, we could correspond via email if it is more convenient for you?

Best regards from a (very) distant cousin,

Rob Browning
Eastop - Glasgow
Chatfield - Fletching
Meloy - Barking / Essex
Dover - Amersham
Raven - Steeple, Essex

Offline RobinBrowning

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 August 13 12:59 BST (UK) »
Ive just found a discrepency - you said James and William were sons of Thomas Browning and Mary Cheeseman, but I'm not sure they were.

Your James was born in 1775 but mine was born about 1802, also the original William (senior) was born 1800, at which point Thomas and Mary would have been in their late sixties.

The original poster claims that William (Snr) is the son of Thomas and Mary's son Thomas (b. 1770) and his wife Martha, and that he's an only child. Could it be possible that a) he wasn't an only child and b) you might have confused Thomas and Mary's children with Thomas and Martha's?
Eastop - Glasgow
Chatfield - Fletching
Meloy - Barking / Essex
Dover - Amersham
Raven - Steeple, Essex

Offline Lochie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 October 13 07:31 BST (UK) »
Dear Rob,

I have been trying to confirm some of the information that my mother in law has been given due to the discrepancy you mentioned.   If you would like I could email you a copy of the family tree information that I have.  I would prefer not to list my email address on this site, but do not know how to get it to you.

Regards
Sue Browning.