Author Topic: civil war  (Read 1612 times)

Offline cruisedub

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
civil war
« on: Tuesday 06 December 11 18:40 GMT (UK) »

I'm doing some research on casualties during the Civil War in Tipperary , in particular regarding two National Army soldiers killed near Tullaghmellan . If anyone has any information regarding this incident I would be grateful .

Offline Mick_Dolan86

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: civil war
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 December 11 21:56 GMT (UK) »
A nasty period in Tipperary history. The two NA soldiers were Lts Cruise and Kenendy disappeared January 1923, found shot dead on April 3rd same year at the location you mentioned. Cruise was from Dublin and Kennedy a Tipperary man. I had a newspaper clipping about this incident, I'll see if I can find it.

The army conducted  a census of Militray posts in November 1922. This is kept in Military Archives in Dublin. Cruise is definitely in the Clonmel record which also records his next of kin and home address

Offline Mick_Dolan86

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 December 11 22:20 GMT (UK) »
But from your user name I see you're a relative of one. I'll try and collect together what I have on this and what I suspect is a related incident and get back to you.

Offline cruisedub

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 December 11 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Your right Mick , one was a relative of mine . Thanks for the input , any information would be appreciated .

Offline Mick_Dolan86

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 December 11 23:24 GMT (UK) »
I hope this works. These are scans of the report of the finding of the bodies and inquest from the local paper, The Nationalist, dated Saturday 7th April 1923. The bodies were discovered on Tuesday 3rd April as I said.

Offline Mick_Dolan86

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 December 11 23:37 GMT (UK) »
On a related note

On 25th February 1923 Comdt Sean Cooney and Capt Myles led a patrol of 20 men in a search of the Newchapel area. They searched Cooney's, Lyons and Maxey's houses in Newchapel then proceeded to Clerihan. They arrested a man named Mullins, a brother of the suspected kidnapper of Lts Cruise and Kennedy, in Clerihan after Mass. This man was to be held hostage for the safety of the two officers.

The report on this patrol is in Military Archives File CW/OPS/10/02

Offline cruisedub

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 December 11 04:09 GMT (UK) »
On a related note

On 25th February 1923 Comdt Sean Cooney and Capt Myles led a patrol of 20 men in a search of the Newchapel area. They searched Cooney's, Lyons and Maxey's houses in Newchapel then proceeded to Clerihan. They arrested a man named Mullins, a brother of the suspected kidnapper of Lts Cruise and Kennedy, in Clerihan after Mass. This man was to be held hostage for the safety of the two officers.

The report on this patrol is in Military Archives File CW/OPS/10/02

Thanks for the information Mick . I have obtained a copy of the report , not much in it but helpful all the same .