Author Topic: North Ailey Cottages, Cove  (Read 3690 times)

Offline dblun

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
North Ailey Cottages, Cove
« on: Wednesday 07 December 11 12:34 GMT (UK) »
The Grierson Family (David Crosbie and Isabella) lived in these cottages 1890 - 1895. Children Isabella, John , Mary born here. David was a Gentleman's Spring Van Driver.
Anyone have info on these cottages or come across the family ?
 :-\
Thanks
 :D Dot
Blunden, Wilkins, Holden , Barker, Cox, Kitchen, Black, Turner, Dixon (England) Grierson, Ferguson, Campbell, Jardine, Black (Scotland

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: North Ailey Cottages, Cove
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 December 11 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Ailey runs between Shore and Barbour, its not very long.  I've walked this dozens of times and there can't be anymore than 5 or 6 dwellings.  There is one cottage called Ailey about half way up the hill it might be the one you seek or perhaps not.  I checked Google Maps and Ailey is available in street view so you can do a virtual tour.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline dblun

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 December 11 01:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Don
Will have a look. Do you know of a history site for this area where I might find the 'Gentleman' for whom David might have worked?

Dot
Blunden, Wilkins, Holden , Barker, Cox, Kitchen, Black, Turner, Dixon (England) Grierson, Ferguson, Campbell, Jardine, Black (Scotland

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 December 11 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Dot I don't.  I do know the area was established in the mid 19th century and many of Glasgow's wealthy built summer homes there but to say who was there in the 1890's I have no idea.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Istrice

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 December 11 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dot,

You could try www.rosneathpeninsula.org.uk.  The site as the name might suggest takes in the peninsula and provided a great deal of information about the area.  It also has a section for queries.

Regards,

Istrice

Offline dblun

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 December 11 04:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Don and Istrice..
Will ask a question on the web site . perhaps Grandfather was a driver for one of the wealthy types. Strange .. but we now live in an area of summer homes in Canada. Hmm  :D

Offline Adriancoll

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 August 13 23:36 BST (UK) »
I live there my grandparents moved in in 1923 and my dad was born and brought up there so its been in my family for 90 years

Offline dblun

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 August 13 02:46 BST (UK) »
Hello  Adriancoll
Thanks for your interesting reply. Have these cottages changed through the years ?
Wondering if you might have or know of an old picture of them. It would be wonderful to have one !
Thanks again
Dot

Offline Laura W

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 21 March 20 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Could there be more than one Ailey Cottage? My great grandfather Archie Shaw lived in Ailey Cottage 1860’s to 1890’s. His father was John Shaw and his mother Margaret.