Author Topic: place name in Kilmartin  (Read 5305 times)

Offline TropiConsul

• RootsChat Senior
  • gg-grandfather, founder of Comfort, Texas
    • View Profile
Re: place name in Kilmartin
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 11 December 11 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Well, I suppose this takes us a bit off-topic, but I will attach a couple of my photos.  The first is a picture of Bear Creek running through my Mom's ranch outside of the old German settlement of Fredericksburg, Texas (pop. about 1800) where you can stroll die Hauptstrasse with a stein filled at the local brew pub or sample locally made wines and whiskey, buy cured meats at Opa's Smokehaus and on Sundays listen to the oompah band at the Altdorf Biergarten.   Keep them Texas hardshell Baptists out of town!

The second photo is a vista from north of town when the bluebonnets (lupines) were in flower.
http://www.fredericksburgtexas-online.com/GourmetFood
Campbell, McDonald, Sprague, Dunsmore, Altgelt, Paterson, Gordon, Rennie, Gorrie, Myles, Forbes, Stewart, Robertson,  Scott, McEwan, MacCallum, McLagan, Perth, Dull, Lanark, Airdrie, Campbeltown, Saddell, Kessington, Cochno, Milngavie, Rutherglen, Kilsyth, Dundee, Killin, Ferryport-on-Craig, Kirkintilloch, Ohio, New York, Inverness-shire, Blair Atholl, Mathie

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Christmas 2011. My daughter Clare with me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 12 December 11 01:07 GMT (UK) »
Nice pics, interesting comments.  Bet if we take this much further, Monica will shift / split the thread. ;D

Think perhaps we should keep it to Kilmartin / Tibertich.

Check me.... trying to be Mister serious for a change!  Whaurs ma whisky!
-------------------
FORREST (Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire)
ROONEY (Co Down, Co Antrim) 
BORTHWICK, FORTUNE, BARKER, SIVES (Lothians)
ANDERSON (Moray, Caithness)

Offline Biggles01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 23:38 GMT (UK) »
For the information of anyone with an interest in, or visiting,  the area, there is a museum in Kilmartin itself which is full of local history, including a lot of names of people who lived there and in the local area. The lady there was really pleasant and helpful when I visited a couple of years ago.