Author Topic: McLAUCHLAN - Cumbraes, Bute  (Read 10024 times)

Offline awaj66

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McLAUCHLAN - Cumbraes, Bute
« on: Friday 09 December 11 05:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

Firstly McLauchlan/McLachlan/McLauchlin and so it goes!  LOL

I have William McLauchlan born abt 1850, West Kilbride to John McLauchlan and Catherine Smylie.

William McL (Stone Mason) married Isabella McDermaid on 27/9/1872 at Millport, Cumbraes, Bute.

Isabella was born abt 1842 in Campbelltown, Argyllshire to John McDermaid and Catherine McDermaid nee Purdie. 

The witnesses to the wedding were Peter McDermaid and Helen McDermaid - I am assuming her brother and sister.

In the 1881 census, William and Isabella are living at 38 George Street, Millport and have a son John aged 6 years and daughter Helen aged 2 years.

I cannot find the birth of John McLauchlan

Helen McLauchlan was born on 22/11/1878 at 38 George Street, Millport.

Isabella McLauchlan was born on 16/5/1881 at 38 George St, Millport.

I can find no further information on this family.

Are there any connections out there?

Cheers

Wendy in Oz

McLAUCHLAN/McLACHLAN/MacLACHLAN
RODDEN
McDERMAID
BRAUER
HEUER
HONEYWOOD
TRETT
WARHURST
HARWOOD
ALLEN
BURTON

Offline muddy48

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: McLAUCHLAN - Cumbraes, Bute
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 December 11 06:16 GMT (UK) »
ok ...what do you knoe of the place ?
perhaps this will take you there, sort of Time Travel, get a feel of what you missed out on in those days :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millport,_Isle_of_Cumbrae

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/cumbrae/millport/index.html

http://www.s1millport.com/memories/history-of-the-garrison-house.html
.............................................................................................................

John McLauchlan
Birth:  dd mm 1848 - city, Ayrshire
Death:  date - Queensland, Australia
Marriage:  date - Bute, Scotland
Spouse:  name surname    F:  John McLauchlan 

M:  Catharine Smilie 

John McLauchlan
Birth:  dd mm 1821 - Ireland
Death:  date - city, Ayrshire, Scotland
Spouse:  name surname    F:  Michael McLauchlan 

M:  Agnes McCarthy 
 ...............................................................................................
http://www.scotsgenealogy.com/FamilyHistories/FamilyHistoriesAll.aspx

http://www.ayrshireroots.com/Genealogy/Records/Burial/Burial%20Grounds%20in%20Ayrshire.htm

Offline awaj66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 December 11 07:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the input and the webpages.

I already have this info on John McLauchlan :)

I am chasing William McLauchlan and his descendants thanks.

Wendy
McLAUCHLAN/McLACHLAN/MacLACHLAN
RODDEN
McDERMAID
BRAUER
HEUER
HONEYWOOD
TRETT
WARHURST
HARWOOD
ALLEN
BURTON

Offline Bob_SA_Oz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 March 12 05:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wendy

I can't help with McLauchlan descendants but I may be able to add some useful information about Isobella McDermaid who married William McLauchlan on 27/91872.

Witnesses Peter and Helen McDermaid were indeed her brother and sister.  She had two other sisters (Mary and Catherine) and three other brothers (Archibald, Duncan and John).  Her mother's maiden name was Brodie (not Purdie) according to Peter's marriage record.  Peter McDermaid is my 2nd great grandfather.

If you would like to have more information on the McDermaid lineage, I would be pleased to send this to you.  My searches have ended with John McDermaid and Catherine Brodie, so any help in that direction would be much appreciated.

Regards

Bob (also in Oz)   

Offline Bob_SA_Oz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 04:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wendy

Thanks for the personal message re mutual ancestors.  I cannot use the PM system until I have made three posts, hence, I am using this means of replying.

John McLauchlan was born 24/11/1874 at George St, Millport (copy attached - record obtained from ScotlandsPeople website).

According to the 1851 Census Scotland records, William McLacklan (note spelling variation) was born about 1850 in West Kilbride (which you know already).  His father John was born in Ireland about 1821 and was a hand loom weaver (cotton) in 1851.  William’s mother Catharine was born about 1826 in Edinburgh.  William had an older brother John born about 1848 in West Kilbride. They lived in Overton Row, West Kilbride.

The 1861 Scotland Census records indicate the family still living in Overton Row, and has increased to James born about 1853, and Margaret born about 1855, both in West Kilbride.

According to the 1871 Scotland Census, William was a stone mason lodging with James and Jane McDonald at 153 Cumberland St, Glasgow.  James was also a stone mason.

You already have details from the 1881 Scotland Census.

The Scotland Census trial goes cold after 1881 – presumably he migrated to Australia?

Peter McDermaid (my 2g great grandfather) was a sea captain who was born about 1832 in Campbelltown, Argyllshire, and who died 2 August 1896 in Millport, Bute.  He did not migrate to Canada.  His siblings were Catherine (about 1829 to ?), Helen (about 1839 to ?), John (about 1839 to ?), Isabella (about 1842 to ?), Mary (about 1844 to ?), Archibald (about 1848 to ?), and Duncan (about 1851 to ?).  All were born in Campbelltown, Argyllshire, according to 1861 Scotland Census records.

Peter's daughter Catherine (1858-1903) married James Thomas (born about 1847 and died after 1910) on 26 September 1884 in West Ham, Essex.  Their daughter Mary Elizabeth (1888-1947) married Thomas Hughes (1891 to ?).  Mary migrated to Port Adelaide, South Australia in 1927 on SS Beltana with children Mary Elizabeth Martha (1910-1984), Dorothy Rose (1912-1982), my father Thomas James (1914-1957), Kathleen Florence (1916-1987), Vera May (1923 to ?) and John William Ernest (1924 to ?).  Thomas senior migrated separately to his family (no details known) and died in a wharf accident about 1936 according to family anecdotal history.  I have not been able to find any information in his migration, death, or burial site, or any other information in digitised newspaper articles.  I plan to visit the State Library in Adelaide to search microfilm and CD records not available on-line.

All the best

Bob

Image removed - copyright , only small portions of the image can be posted for handwriting recognition - Thank you

Offline Bob_SA_Oz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 March 12 05:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wendy

Sorry if you get this twice but I think my reply to your personal message didn't work.

The website WW2 Nominal Roll lists Private James McLachlan born in Scotland 21 August 1903.  He enlisted on 12 June 1941 at Paddington, NSW, and was a POW.  This lines up with your information that he died in a POW camp in Malaya, and was the son of the late John McLachlan and of Mrs Elizabeth McLachlan, of Isle of Cumbrae, Scotland.

He must have experienced terible things following the fall of Singapore (see the website http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2/18th_Battalion_(Australia)).

His history suggests that he is not a direct descendant of any McLachlan who emigrated to Australia before the 1881 Scottish Census.

Incidentally, another website http://warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/warmemscot-ftopic619.html includes his name on a memorial in Millport, Island of Cumbrae.

Do you have information on McLachlans who migrated to Australia in the late 1800s or early 1900s?

Regards

Bob

Offline SadieKintyre

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 February 13 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Bob, Wendy and others.

I've been researching the family of Peter McDermid (various spellings) and Helen or Ellen Galbraith of Campbeltown for some time now. I was particularly interested to see the information on their son John (1803 - 1884) and his wife Catherine Brodie (1807 - 1882).

It may be helpful to know that Catherine's surname is an anglicisation of an older name: Brolachan. She was probably born in the Killean and Kilkenzie parish of Kintyre, Argyll in 1807 to Peter Brolachan and Catherine McConochy.

I'd be delighted to exchange information with other family members.

Sarah