Author Topic: Elizabeth TAYLOR - Born 18-Dec-1819 Launceston, Tasmania  (Read 15830 times)

Offline shellyhope

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth TAYLOR - Born 18-Dec-1819 Launceston, Tasmania
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 11:31 BST (UK) »
I have a transcribed copy of the marriage certificate for Edward Thomas and Elizabeth Taylor. It states "Married according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Church of England by Banns with consent of the Government" (having trouble attaching file).  I was also puzzled that there is no death notation, but i wasn't sure if this was kept in separate record (being somewhat unfamiliar with the records)

The other Edward Thomas that arrived on the Prince of Orange also got sent to Port Arthur c1833 onwards (from memory, i do have the print outs).
I've also searched the convict applications to be married and haven't found anything, but i wasn't sure about the completeness of the records, especially the online records.

At one stage i was also looking at Henry Thomas, as that is the name listed on Charles Edward Thomas birth certificate. Again, the convict records for Henry dont really seem to match with any of the information.

Shelly

Offline shellyhope

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 18 June 12 00:37 BST (UK) »
Just to confirm, the Edward Thomas from the convict ship Claudine died 8 Aug 1837. The pre-1900  Tas bdm microfilm copies shows his death date and the ship name. The transcribed copy of this death from the registrars office omits this important piece of information.

Offline WoodwardDescendant

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 04 December 12 02:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am new here; I'm married to a Woodward a descendant of William [b-abt-1802]... William's earlier history is quiet well documented as you see in the following... As he and Elizabeth became Pioneers of Emu Bay they lived in the bush and religion was not obvious, as they did not officially marry until after the birth of their last child… Likewise some of the second and third generations are murky, as in who married who is proving difficult in some of the families… I do have a lot of data should anyone be interested in developing the Woodward family further… Regards: Peter P

William Woodward [born around 1802]:   was transported to Hobart in 1830 on the vessel "Prince Regent" [Ihave copies of the "conduct register"]. He had been a ploughman in York, near Chesterfield in England. William, convicted in Yorkshire in 1828 for stealing a watch from a N.P. Mecer of Chesterfield Derby, was sentenced to seven years in Van Diemen's Land. In Hobart, William was assigned as a labourer to a Mr. Cook, whom he remained with for several years. Receiving a pardon and "ticket of leave" [free by servitude] on the 22nd October 1835 thereafter William was a free man.

We guess that toward the end of 1837 early 1838 an association started with Elizabeth.
Elizabeth Thomas had been recently widowed with two children, Charles Edward born in 1835, and Ellen born 7th April 1837. Earlier [3rd of November 1834] Elizabeth had married an Edward Thomas, he died in 1837 a daughter to their marriage, Ellen, was just a few months old. We have found that Ellen did use her stepfather's name because she signed as Ellen Woodward as witness at her 1/2 sisters Maria's wedding, but eventually marries as Ellen Thomas. Her brother likewise held his name as Charles Edward Thomas when he married.

William & Elizabeth are to have 13 children of their own, the first [William] born in 1838 lives only a couple of months, the last [Rachel] is born in 1861. Late 1841 early 1842, with Edwards children and now two of their own, this family leaves the Launceston area and move on to Horton [Emu Bay - now Burnie] where William is employed by the Van Diemen's Land Co [V.D.L.Co].
After 32 years together raising a very large family, William and Elizabeth eventually get married, this on the 15th March 1869, [aged 69 and 51], quite an acknowledgement of a good life, well lived. Witnesses to the marriage were Ellen Sutton and John Edwards Rouse, and the registrar is George Rouse.

Offline cristerry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 20 May 17 07:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Brendan, I think it was you that I contacted a few days ago about Thomas Howell & Margaret Wallace. It seems that we may almost fairly closely related. The same George Lapham & his fiesty wife Jemima were my g.g. grandparents. Their daughter Emma married Bernard Lapham & thier eldest, Ada Emma was my mother's mother. It would be very interesting for me to know where you fit into the family. I am in Tas at the moment hoping to walk in their footsteps. Heading down to Queenstown next week.
Cheers,
Cris

Offline jobbo987

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 06:46 GMT (UK) »
I am descended from Elizabeth and William Woodward and have more information on this family.  If you would like to email me - jbabara@optusnet.com.au with your email address I can forward the information to you.  I can confirm what you have and can provide quite a bit more. Barbara.  The email address is definitely jbabara not jbarbara.