Author Topic: Gt Grandfather John Grant farmer of Knockanbuie, look-up  (Read 13326 times)

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
Re: Gt Grandfather John Grant farmer of Knockanbuie, look-up
« Reply #9 on: Monday 19 December 11 10:30 GMT (UK) »
Ah,thanks for clearing that up Forfarian,big age gap there,40 years.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 19 December 11 15:11 GMT (UK) »
I tried e-mailing the person who posted the older query, but it bounced.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 19 December 11 16:08 GMT (UK) »
I see MerseyMan says that John Grant was the reputed father of an illigitimate child in 1920.I wonder if Isabella McKenzie was also in the family way when he married her.She is transcribed as a domestic servant,could she have worked for him.Would have to find a birth to the couple to prove it one way or the other.

A few possible births,one 1921 birth in particular,given the names looks likely.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 19 December 11 17:04 GMT (UK) »
John Grant married to Isabella McKenzie died at Grantown on Spey May 12 1924.Usual residence Knockanbuie.No idea where Isabella was but the informant was his sister Catherine.

Interesting that another John Grant died in the same place at the same age,two months before.

Offline MerseyMan

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roostchatter, sorry about the late reply now christmas is over I can concentrate :)

Thanks for the reply MonicaL, I made lots of variations of Google searches of John Grant and Knockanbuie and had the same results as some of the posters here have mentioned. I wasn't sure which John Grant it could have been. :)

GR2 I did a few searches on Libindex but couldn't find anything. As far as I know he was deceased in 1924 when Alexina Cameron Payne was trying to get benefits for her children. Libindex is good as that's where I first started looking and have contributed a bit about my grandad John Grant Payne when I found what happened to him 65 years after he left the family.

If my grandad was the illegitamate son of John Grant (going by his name and the research work that was given to me it probably was). There is probably little or no record confirming this 100% Now if there was a photo of this John Grant I could easily compare it to a photo of my grandad John Grant Payne and see if there is a likeness. I doubt there may have ever been a photo taken of John Grant of Knockanbuie.

Many thanks for your posts to try and pinpoint this John Grant, being illegitamate just means that there is little to no paper trail.  :)
Payne's from Elgin Scotland and Burnet Texas,
Wilsons from Moreton Cheshire,
Burton's from Garsdale, Bootle, Birkenhead, Kendal's from Westmorland,
Mitchell's from Birkenhead Cheshire and Dyserth North Wales.
Dyton's from St Albans, Kidderpore India, Mhow India and New York.

Offline kowgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 08:21 GMT (UK) »
My gg grandfather James Grant was a tenant at Knockanbuie from around 1820 until around 1828.  He later emigrated to Australia.  Wondering if there is a connection?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 10:19 GMT (UK) »
I had a look on LIBINDX, and found that John Grant died at Knockanbuie on 10 April 1911 and Maggie Grant died there in October 1892. Their death certificates should tell you the names of their parents, which will get you back to the 1820s.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline kowgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 27 November 14 04:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Forfarian,  I see in previous posts John's parents were William Grant and Sarah Green.  I will check the births of their other children to see if they were in Knockanbuie at the same time as James.  As far as I can work out, James didn't have a brother William so perhaps they were cousins or else just another of the very many Grant families in the area!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 27 November 14 10:48 GMT (UK) »
I see in previous posts John's parents were William Grant and Sarah Green.

No, what you saw in this thread was my statement that John, son of William Grant and Sarah Green was born in 1826. Don't take that  as definite evidence that it is the same John Grant. There were 837 Grants in the parish of Cromdale Inverallan and Advie in 1841, so there is plenty of scope for getting the wrong one.

FWIW the Grant household at Knockanbuie in 1841 consists of John, 48; Catherine, 44; John, 15; Mary, 11; May, 9; Margaret, 7; and Ann, 5 (from FreeCEN).

At Knockanbuie in 1851 are John Grant, 65; wife Catharine Grant, 57; daughter Marjory Grant, 20; and a lodger.

These both look like the family of John Grant and Katharine McDonald: John, 1825; Mary, 1828; Marjory, 1830; Margaret, 1833; Ann, 1836. (May is often used as short for Marjory.)

Mignon (in the older post on RootsWeb) says there were two couples named William Grant and Sarah Green in Cromdale about the same time. I am sure she has a good reason for saying so, but she must have found something that I have not found in my rather superficial searchings online.

The family of William Grant and Sarah Green (from the 'community indexed' IGI) are Elizabeth, 1812; Charles Lenox, 1814;  William, 1816; Sarah, 1818; James, 1820; Francis, 1822; Ann, 1824; John, 1826; Isabella, 1827. FreeCEN lists at High Street, Grantown a household consisting of William, 60, innkeeper; Sarah, 50, born England; William, 25; Sarah, 20; Isabella, 13; Thomas, 9 and 5 servants. I think that this looks like the family of William Grant and Sarah Green.

There is a household of William Grant, 50, dyer with wife Sarah, 55 in Main Street, Grantown with children who match the family of William Grant and Sarah Miller.

There is a third household with William Grant, 60; Sarah, 50; Jane, 40; Ann, 30; and William, 15 at Culinduim. The 1851 clarifies that Jane, 48 and Ann, 40 are the daughters of William Grant, 76; but if the ages are correct Jane cannot be the daughter of Sarah, who is 60, so Sarah has to be a second wife.

I've rambled a bit, but the point is that those are two John Grants of the right age to be the head of the household at Knockanbuie in 1861/1871/1881. One of them was the son of John Grant and Catherine McDonald, who were at Knockanbuie in 1841 and 1851 and the other was the son of William Grant and Sarah Green, who did not live at Knockanbuie.

John Grant in Knockanbuie gives his age in 1861 as 36, in 1871 as 45 and in 1881 as 55. So if he is being accurate he was born between 1824 and 1826.

There are six more John Grants in the parish register of Cromdale Inveralland and Advie baptised between 1824 and 1826. So you must not believe anyone who tells you who 'your' John was when there is a primary source for the information.

You really need those death certificates!