Author Topic: Charlotte Martin  (Read 4799 times)

Offline ag10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Charlotte Martin
« on: Tuesday 10 May 05 16:44 BST (UK) »
As a beginner I'd appreciate a little advice.

I'd like to find the exact birth date for Charlotte Martin (details below), but I live in South Wales so I can't visit the locality, and I don't know how to go about it - or even if it's possible.

Charlotte Martin. Born 1877 at Humberstone. Father Henry Martin, mother Harriet.

Any hope?

Thanks for any suggestions - Al

Offline Keziahemm

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Charlotte Martin
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 May 05 17:03 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Welcome to Rootschat  :D

You will need the birth certificate - this can be obtained from the GRO and will cost £7.00 you can apply online on the 1837online site for certificates.  Alternatively the local Register Office for the area she was born could supply certificate again this would cost £7.00.

If the GRO can't find the person in the register in dates specified they will refund part of fee (£3/4 ?).

Sometimes the local office is a better bet.

Susan
Herefordshire: Mytton.
Lincs: Ingham
Northants: Knight (Welford); Linnell;  Gaudern.
Staffs (Brierley Hill, Kingswinford): Wood; Eades.
Somerset: Bailey; Lewis
Warwickshire: (Alcester, Henley in Arden) Lewis; Casey/Keasey
Warwickshire (Birmingham suburbs) Knight
Yorkshire (Bradford):  Ingham

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 May 05 19:05 BST (UK) »
Hi

This seems to be the reference you will need to apply for the birth cert:

Charlotte MARTIN Billesdon reg district September quarter of 1876 7a 25

It is cheaper to order the cert if you have this ref, when using the GRO site.  You can also order from the registration office in the area concerned, in which case you don't need this ref, but you do need as much other info as you can provide.

To get these refs in future try freebmd or 1837online (payable)

Good luck!

Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline ag10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 May 05 08:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for the replies.
I should have said that I'm trying to track an extremely elusive grandmother, and this reference is one of many possibilities.
Family history has it that her birthday was 22 January 1880, but no-one has ever been able to find a match for this date.
The Charlotte I mentioned was just one possibility - so what I wondered is if it's possible to check the actual date before buying the cert. If it's 22 January it could be her - if it isn't, it probably isn't (if you see what I mean!)
Thanks again - Al

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 May 05 09:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Al

You could try re-posting more specifically for a parish record look-up and hope that someone is going to the record office in question.  Having the exact date and place would make this relatively easy.

Some local reg offices re very helpful and will check dates etc before charging you for certificates.  Try ringing or e-mailing.

Have you tried the IGI?  I've not used this resource yet, other than online, but others may know whether LDS records would help in this respect.  www.familysearch.com.

Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline ag10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 May 05 08:51 BST (UK) »
Arranroots,
Thanks for your help and suggestions. I posted on lookup requests and got some very interesting info. It looks like it isn't a match. Never mind, that's still useful - and I'm learning more about searching all the time.
Many thanks for your help; I appreciate it.
Al