Author Topic: Lack of information.  (Read 2138 times)

Offline buckie33

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lack of information.
« on: Monday 12 December 11 02:38 GMT (UK) »
I went on Scotlands people for the marriage of Helen Downie and William Murray (In Rathven), but sometimes like in this example it only give the date and the names of the people who married, no parent names :( I looked and I did find a Helen Downie born in Rathven, this might be her, but you just cant be sure, is there any way for finding out, or am I at a total dead end?
Elgin - Ralphs,Lobbans
Buckie - Andersons,McLeods

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Lack of information.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 December 11 22:46 GMT (UK) »
I went on Scotlands people for the marriage of Helen Downie and William Murray (In Rathven), but sometimes like in this example it only give the date and the names of the people who married, no parent names :( I looked and I did find a Helen Downie born in Rathven, this might be her, but you just cant be sure, is there any way for finding out, or am I at a total dead end?

I see from the IGI that their family included two born after the start of civil registration in 1855. That being so, SP should have death certificates of both William and Helen (unless they died outside Scotland), and the death certificates should tell you the names of both sets of parents.

The 1861 census on FreeCEN has them at Low Shore Street, parish of Rathven, which is in Buckie. William is listed as aged 38, so born 1822/3, and Helen is listed as Ellen, aged 41, so born 1819/20. So the Helen Downie born 1819 in the IGI does look possible. However you cannot assume that, just because she is the only one listed, she is the right one.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline buckie33

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 December 11 23:56 GMT (UK) »
I found William and Helen and their son George in this census at "S28"
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/sheena_charles/Bck_Yardy1851.htm

I do know that Helen Downie's parents where Alexander Downie and Margaret Cowie.
I know Willam Murray was born around 1823 in Rathven, problem is there is two Wm Murry's born in Rathven in 1923, each with diffrent parents.
Elgin - Ralphs,Lobbans
Buckie - Andersons,McLeods

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 December 11 13:22 GMT (UK) »
I know Willam Murray was born around 1823 in Rathven, problem is there is two Wm Murry's born in Rathven in 1923, each with diffrent parents.

Get his death certificate. That will tell you which set of parents are his. www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.