Author Topic: Jersey Lookup completed  (Read 3889 times)

Offline lilybelle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jersey Lookup completed
« on: Monday 12 December 11 12:44 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find more infomation about my great-grandfather Aimable Alphonse Lecomte.  I know he was born in France about 1869. The 1881 census shows him as a visitor in Jersey. The 1891 census tells me he was living in Jersey and married to Amelia Rive with one daughter Emily. I know his later history but want to find the date of his marriage, his parents names and any other information about his early life.

I would be very grateful for any help.

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Jersey Lookup
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 December 11 14:37 GMT (UK) »
Have a look at the sites available on the a jersey resources board I particular jerripedia.Jersey records aren't easy but there are some on line.
Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)

Offline lilybelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 December 11 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply.  Took a look at the sites but had no luck finding the info I wanted.

Offline HistoryFan

• RootsChat Member
  • My Great Grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 December 11 02:01 GMT (UK) »
I don't have access to records in Jersey for the Wedding of Aimable and Amelia, but I did find the Baptism of Emily Le Comte in the St Helier online Baptisms

http://www.jerseyheritagetrust.jeron.je

Emily Mabel Le Conte (spelled Le Conte on that transcription) Born 5/1/1890 Baptised 26/1/1890 - Father Aimable Le Conte (Plasterer of Bath St, St Helier Jerey) and Mother Amelia Sophie nee Rive.

Godparents John Thomas Jeune and Victoria Francoise.

The name of the Godparent Victoria caught my eye, as on the 1881 Census when Aimable Le Comte is boarding in St Ouen's Jersey,living in the same household was a Miss Francoise Victoire, Born France 1843.

I can't help but wonder if this is the same person, but with her name transposed?

Also John Thomas Jeune and Victoria Francoise were married.

1911 Census in St Helier has John Jeune (68) B 1843 Jersey and wife Victoire Francaise Jeune (66), B 1845 France married 22 years = 1889.  They had no children together.

1901 Census in St Helier has John Jeune and Victoire Francaise Jeune have Emily Le Comte residing with them and she is described as "Granddaughter"

1891 Census has John Jeune and Victoire Francaise living in St Helier.

Could it possibly be that Aimable Le Comte was the son of Victoire Francaise of France, who went on to marry John Jeune in 1889?  Maybe she was not single at the time of the 1881 Census but rather a Widow?

Just a thought, but sometimes the 'off wall' ones can provide a valuable link.

For a Wedding of Aimable Le Comte to Amelia Rive, if some kind person in Jersey could check the Wedding Registers of St Ouens or St Helier between 1881 and 1890 that could provide further clarity for you.

Hope this is of some help to you.
Holmes, Loveridge, Le Cheminant, White, Camp, Dennis, Beauchamp, Allen, Green, Legg, Symes, Mitchell, Rowe, Robin, Robert, Romeril, Cardinale

Offline HistoryFan

• RootsChat Member
  • My Great Grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 December 11 03:19 GMT (UK) »
Just to add, on the 1911 Census, the birthplace of Victorie is given as Baynes in France and also as being the birth place of her father (name not known, just place)
Holmes, Loveridge, Le Cheminant, White, Camp, Dennis, Beauchamp, Allen, Green, Legg, Symes, Mitchell, Rowe, Robin, Robert, Romeril, Cardinale

Offline lilybelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 December 11 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for all this information.  Its given me a great deal to think about and a whole new line of inquiry to pursue. My hope was that a marriage certificate for Aimable and Amelia would give me  Aimable's fathers name but that might not be the case if your idea is correct and Victoria Francoise was his mother and possibly single.

Online la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Here is the marriage that you are looking for,

23/9/1888 at St Saviour's Parish Church

Aimable Le Conte, aged 21, Bachelor, occupation Plasterer, living in St Helier, born in Baynes, Calvados. Father Alphonse Le Conte, Carpenter
to
Emilie Sophia Rive, aged 21, Spinster, living in St Helier, born in St Ouen. Father John Philip Rive, Plasterer.

The witnesses were John Thomas Jeune and Victoire Francoise

Offline lilybelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Jersey Lookup completed
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 17:23 GMT (UK) »
That's fabulous. Thanks so much for your help.  I have been trying to find this information for so long so am very glad to have discovered the Rootschat site. I am very grateful you took the time to look it up for me.

Offline HistoryFan

• RootsChat Member
  • My Great Grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 20:49 GMT (UK) »
So glad you have the information you needed!  Love it when it comes together.