Author Topic: Joseph Gilmour  (Read 6398 times)

Offline nmg1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joseph Gilmour
« on: Tuesday 13 December 11 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Joseph Gilmour b. 1st April 1869 County Derry Ireland.
Eldest son of Arthur Gilmour.

Married Elizabeth Thompson 1900 in Hawkes bay New Zealand.
Children:  Elizabeth May b 1901
                 Robert b 1903 - 1997
                 Arthur Joseph b 1904 - 1987
                 Vera Isobel b 1906 - 1984
                 Edward William b 1908 - 1990
                 James Henry b 1911

Looking for information on the Irish family and when he went to New Zealand.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Gilmour
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 December 11 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
    Joseph Gilmour was born on 1 Apr 1869 to Arthur Gilmour and Mary Alexander in Aghadowey, Co. Londonderry. The parents were married in Garvagh 1st Presbyterian , Co. Londonderry on 27 Feb 1862.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 December 11 21:05 GMT (UK) »
What a lovely surprise to see your post- and welcome to Rootschat. These Gilmours lived in Aghadowey townland in the parish of Aghadowey and the house was demolished a few years ago although I have lots of information on this family. Will go upstairs and get my file to post more details shortly.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 December 11 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
    Was going to post details of some of Joseph's siblings but I am sure that Aghadowey (the site moderator) will supply much more than I can.

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 December 11 21:58 GMT (UK) »
27 Feb.1862 First Garvagh Presbyterian Church, Arthur Gilmore, farmer, Aghadowey, son of Joseph Gilmore, farmer, to Mary Alexander, Lisnamuck, daughter of Hugh Alexander, farmer.
Coleraine Chronicle, 22 Mar.1862: Arthur Gilmour, Greenhill, Aghadowey to Mary, daughter of Hugh Alexander, Laverock Hall [we can't figure out this place but suspect it should be Lisnamuck].
Children of Arthur & Mary-
1. Emily bapt. 24 July 1863 Aghadowey Presbyterian Church
2. Margaret Torrens born 29 June 1866, bapt. 2 Oct.1866 Aghadowey Presbyterian Church
3. Joseph** born 1 Apr.1869, bapt. 1 May 1869 Aghadowey Presbyterian Church
4. Arthur born 7 Jan.1872, bapt. 12 Feb.1872 Aghadowey Presbyterian Church
5. James born 9 Dec.1874, bapt. 20 Feb.1875 Aghadowey Presbyterian Church
6. Jane Moon born 2 July 1878, bapt. 12 Sept.1878 Aghadowey Presbyterian Church
7. Alice Mary born 16 Feb.1884, bapt. 10 July 1884 Aghadowey Presbyterian Church

Arthur Gilmore died 16 Aug.1894, leaving wife, 3 sons and 4 daughters. Will dated 8 days earlier and mentions an Edward Gilmour.
Coleraine Chronicle, 30 Dec.1899: letting of lands, etc. Greenhill, Aghadowey- Mrs. Arthur Gilmour

In 1909 Alice Gilmour, age 23, dressmaker, and mother Mary Gilmour, age 55, widowed, travelled to Philadelphia to stay Mary's daughter Jane Moon (Gilmore) Creelman.

Joseph Gilmour** died in 1949 N.Z. and had 7 children born between 1901-1912, according to my notes. He also had 2 illegitimate children in the 1920s but I won't post details here as at least 1 of them is still alive last I heard.

Will post details of Arthur's parents and siblings in a few minutes. Kingskerswell- feel free to post any additional details you've found (I've got an unfair advantage being related to the family and having all the local church records  ;) )

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 December 11 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Aghadowey, but you have covered much more than I have been able to find.

Beswt Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 December 11 22:13 GMT (UK) »
And there's lots more  :)

Joseph Gilmore (c1800-1852), son of James Gilmore & Nancy Anderson, Aghadowey, married Jane Moon (c1802-1877).
Coleraine Constitution, 11 Aug.1877: Death- GILMORE, at her residence, Aghadowey, on the 8th inst., Jane, relict of the late Joseph Gilmore, aged 75 years.
St. Guaire's Parish Church, Aghadowey: "Erected by Joseph Gilmore of Philadelphia to the memory of his father Joseph Gilmore late of Aughadowey who departed this life 26th August 1852 aged 52 yrs. Also his mother Jane Moon Gilmore who departed this life 8th August 1877 aged 75 yrs."
Aghadowey Presbyterian Church: Session Minutes, At a special meeting of committee 31st July 1874 to regulate the pews which had been recently divided Miss Ellen Gilmore on behalf of her mother said that her father was one of the original purchasers for pew No.12.
1. Joseph Gilmore, Philadelphia, m. Lizzie Hemphill (d.1919).
Coleraine Chronicle, 5 Apr.1919: Lizzie Hemphill Gilmour died 8 Mar.1919 at Atlantic City, New Jersey, U.S. of pneumonia, 3rd daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Hemphill, Ballyclough.
Note: have to re-check this. Had this in my old notes but think we did discover this was another Joseph Gilmore of Aghadowey
2. Ellen Gilmore (d. after 1877).
3. Arthur Gilmore- see above.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 December 11 22:20 GMT (UK) »
James Gilmore married Nancy Anderson. These were the parents of Joseph Gilmore (c1800-1852).
St. Guaire's Parish Church, Aghadowey: "Erected by Joseph Gilmore in memory of his parents James Gilmore who departed this life 17th Feb.1825 aged 64 years. Also his wife Nancy Gilmore alias Anderson who departed this life 22nd August 1824 aged 64 years."

The above details are just rough notes and I have lots more details which I can't get to at the moment.

Offline nmg1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi   

Kingskersell and Aghadowey thank you very much for the imformation it has been great to learn more about Gilmour's.  Joseph was my great grandfather and not much was known about him so thanks again. 
He was a taxi driver in New Zealand starting off with a horse and cart then moving onto a car.

Any chance you know when he went to New Zealand. 

Cheers  :)