Author Topic: George Robertson  (Read 8684 times)

Offline zylar22

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Robertson
« on: Wednesday 14 December 11 01:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello, seeking information on George Robertson. His parents according to his marriage certificate were George Robertson and Elizabeth Rose. He was born approximately 1875 in either Birmingham or Scotland (Marriage and Death certificates each have a different location of birth listed). He married Helen Dixon in 1901 in Hamilton New Zealand. His death certificate said that he spent 69 years in New Zealand and he died when he was 71 (on 15th July 1946) He was a farmer and spent most of his life in Maramarua, Waikato, New Zealand and that is where he is buried.

His children were: Olive, Daisy, Bill, Gladys, Ralph, John, Hazel, Cassy and Kathleen. He also had another daughter who died aged 7 months.

I am trying to find out if George had any other siblings. I am also trying to find out any further information about his parents as I cannot find a marriage certificate for them in the UK or any information about them arriving in New Zealand. The marriage certificate listed his father as a general labourer and the death certificate listed him as a bricklayer.

Thank you.

Offline rotosis

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: George Robertson
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 03:41 GMT (UK) »
 :)

Hi.  If Georges parents married in Scotland you may need someone with Scotlands People to help do a look up for you, you can post of the Scotland forum for that.

I presume that Georges parents came to NZ with him, since it looks like he was only 2yrs old, if so have you found his parents burial? and or deaths.  It would usually say on the death certs how many kids George and Elizabeth had.   I can only find one birth that may be possible sibling, named Elizabeth Logan Robertson b. 1879. to Goerge and Elizabeth Robertson.  to find area you need to look at the fiche  at your local library, presuming your in NZ.

Another idea is to check out the Electoral Rolls on Ancestry to see if when their children (if more than George) lived with them once they had voting rights.

Happy to help if you still stuck, still looking for the ship of arrival.

Rotosis   :)
Wifes side    
Bayley (Wem & Chester & Canada), Davies(Llandgela), Price (Shropshire), Evans, Healey (Sligo Ireland) Harrison (Cheshire), Brereton (Haslington, Cheshire), Ford (Mow Cop/Haslington, Cheshire)

Husbands side
Plaisted (London UK, Australia & New Zealand), Gillbanks (England to New Zealand) Ridley (Kent to New Zealand) Gordon (Perth Scotland to New Zealand), Hill (Antrim Ireland to New Zealand) Alfuth/Alford (Kokoszki, Poland to New Zealand) Hoppy (Germany? to New Zealand)

Offline zylar22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thank you for your help.  I have been unable to located his parents burial or deaths as there are so many Elizabeth's and George's in the BDM list.  Do you know if it is typical to note whether or not the parents are deceased on the Marriage Certificate in New Zealand like they do on the ones from the UK as this may narrow down my search area as neither of his parents were listed as deceased on his marriage certificate.
I do live in New Zealand so I will try and locate where Elizabeth Logan Robertson was born as that could definitely help. I have had a look through the electoral rolls but have been unable so far to locate the family living together.
Is there a particular website that you use to find passenger lists of people arriving in New Zealand? 
Also do you know what types of things are noted in a probate record?  I have found Georges' and it is in Auckland I just wonder if there is any point in going to view it?
Thanks again.

Offline Thamesite2017

• I have turned off all email notifications
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth Logan Robertson
ALTERED!!! I thought this was mother now I reread post one and see it was a sister!!
 ::)
Bye
althea

Offline Thamesite2017

• I have turned off all email notifications
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Marriage 1900
Name
ROBERTSON Elizabeth Logan
to REID

ADDED
Sincere apologies now I see that was a sister, she is buried Waikumete Cemetery died 1957

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 December 11 03:36 GMT (UK) »

Do you know if it is typical to note whether or not the parents are deceased on the Marriage Certificate in New Zealand like they do on the ones from the UK ....

Hi zylar

The question of "whether a parent was deceased" was not one that was asked in relation to NZ marriages.

[Sometimes a bride or groom might volunteer that information and at the discretion of the registrar or minister marrying them, it may have been included on the marriage record.]

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 December 11 04:07 GMT (UK) »

Is there a particular website that you use to find passenger lists of people arriving in New Zealand? 

Hi

The "familysearch" site has NZ Passenger Lists (with images of the original manifests also available).

But do browse the Resources Section of this board where you'll find links and other helpful information.

[Click on "New Zealand" next to green leaf - top left of this page.   That will take you to the NZ board hompage where you'll find the Resources and Offers seaction.]

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 December 11 04:16 GMT (UK) »

Also do you know what types of things are noted in a probate record?  I have found Georges' and it is in Auckland I just wonder if there is any point in going to view it?
Thanks again.

Hi zylar

The following link will take you to the Archives New Zealand Research Guides section, where you'll find anwers to your questions re: Probate.

http://archives.govt.nz/research/guides

Click on >>   the Personal Identity guide

~ Lu

Offline zylar22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 December 11 01:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your help.  Most appreciated.  I will post if I work anything further out.