Author Topic: George Robertson  (Read 8662 times)

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Robertson
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 23 June 20 02:02 BST (UK) »
From the opening post

His death certificate said that he spent 69 years in New Zealand and he died when he was 71 (on 15th July 1946)

Which would suggest his parents were with him.
Assuming of course that that information is correct.

Offline zylar22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 23 June 20 10:52 BST (UK) »
Taken out of frame, sadly no names on back. But easier to see without reflection.

Hi Helen
Does it look like it is snowing in the photo or is it just the age of the photo?? Looking for clues!  If they are in NZ, it is most likely South Island but if the photo is taken in UK who knows!!

Offline zylar22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 22 November 21 02:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I was hoping someone may be able to help me with looking into a potential marriage for George's parents.

I found a record for a George Richardson marrying an Eliza Rose on FreeBMD for December 1873 in Bingham Vol 7b pg 757. This of course would mean that Richardson became Robertson at some stage when he moved to New Zealand.

In the 1891 census I found a George Richardson (b Oxton) and Eliza Rose (b Kinoulton) and a son George Richardson b Oxton in 1875 (He was 16 on the census).  I can't find the George born in 1875 after this census and am wondering if this if the George I am looking for as this is right for his estimated year or birth?

I am unsure as to whether I may possibly be on the right track.... so I would appreciate any other information that could be provided on this family and George.

Thank you

Offline HelenAttwood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Monday 22 November 21 06:03 GMT (UK) »
zylar22 that is very interesting............I may just have to hunt this line of enquiry ha ha

Offline HelenAttwood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Monday 22 November 21 06:51 GMT (UK) »
Zylar22, I cant find that.
From records George Robertson (we will call him 2nd) was born 1875-1876 in "Birmingham" according to marriage record and discounting year of marriage and age 25 it works out to 1876 (if he was telling truth of age), mother Elizabeth Rose, Father George 1st, marriage to wife Helen Dixon 13 Feb 1901 (father George 1st was still alive as listed as laborer and parents if deceased was noted on certs.
I've looked up dates, immigration records to NZ, still cant find the sod (George 2nd)!!! Im not sure about the Richardson, or the Eliza, as this could be shortened but usually full names were used in official documents.
On your post it was in Bingham, do you mean Birmingham??? This has been a mystery..............and unless some miracle Im not sure we will find an answer

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Monday 22 November 21 07:02 GMT (UK) »
George RICHARDSON (The father) died 1900. Farmer of Southwell, Notts.
Administration to Eliza. So getting his will will not be helpful 

Possibly that is George RICHARDSON the son, a Butler in 1901,  at the Mansion House, Oxton Hall.

Piece:   3192
Folio:   124
Page Number:   6
Household Schedule Number:   41

Offline zylar22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Monday 22 November 21 09:32 GMT (UK) »
On your post it was in Bingham, do you mean Birmingham??? This has been a mystery..............and unless some miracle Im not sure we will find an answer

Hi Helen
It was Bingham rather than Birmingham. I will try and attach a copy. It was the potential confusion between Bingham and Birmingham which also caught my eye.

I hadn’t thought about the fact that the marriage certificate would say deceased if the parent was deceased. That is a very good point.

George 2nd is such a mystery. I have recently contacted two other descendants and they have no information on him either.

Will keep searching…..

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 23 November 21 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Just following up on this post again. I finally got a printout of one of George’s children birth record as suggested earlier in this thread.    *Please see attached. [*Refer to link at Reply # 23 ]
It confirms he was born in Birmingham around 1876.

Hello zylar

Sorry, not able to help much at this stage. 

I note that the NZ birth printout you received, was for his firstborn who arrived a matter of months after the marriage (also) in 1901.

Haven't seen it mentioned in this thread, but do you (or the other researcher Helen) have the birth printouts (or certs) for Ralph Ernest - born 1910 and John Dixon - born 1912 and if so, do they also show "Birmingham" as George ROBERTSON's place of birth ??

~  Lu

[* When I selected above quote, it didn't automatically bring up the link for the attachment you mentioned.    It can though be found at Reply # 23.  ]

Offline zylar22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday 24 November 21 00:23 GMT (UK) »
George RICHARDSON (The father) died 1900. Farmer of Southwell, Notts.
Administration to Eliza. So getting his will will not be helpful 

Possibly that is George RICHARDSON the son, a Butler in 1901,  at the Mansion House, Oxton Hall.

Piece:   3192
Folio:   124
Page Number:   6
Household Schedule Number:   41

Thank you very much for finding and posting this record.  I will follow it up.