Author Topic: Don't people realise how much it hurts  (Read 38024 times)

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Don't people realise how much it hurts
« on: Thursday 15 December 11 12:52 GMT (UK) »
I have just been looking through some family trees on Ance**ry to see if any of my immediate family are on are anybody else's tree.

I found a tree with someone on there with the same name as my mother - strange enough because my mother's name was quite unusual - but the woman was born about 40 miles away from where my mother was born, a couple of years earlier and married a couple of years earlier than my mother to a different man from my father and in a different area.  She also had different parents.  No problem.

So, how come she had my mother's death record? 

I know it's a simple mistake but it hurts.   :'( :'( :'(

Rishile
Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

Offline mofid42

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Don't people realise how much it hurts
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 December 11 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rishlie

Know the feeling....I was alerted by member connect that someone had saved the same baptismal record to someone I had on my tree but when I looked the person they had attached it to wasn't the same person as my ancestor.... they had attached it to a married woman and the surname on the baptismal record was her married name not her maiden name!
MOIRA
Seeking baptism for Thomas Peter Nugent c1802-10 and Charles James Nugent c 1805-10 somewhere/anywhere in London
NUGENT Westminster Bermondsey Walthamstow
COLLIER & OWEN Bermondsey
HAMBLETON Bermondsey
MORETON Hampshire
GROVER Burghfield Berkshire
HALL Buckinghamshire Walthamstow Norfolk
Mary Ellen/Ellen Mary ARCHER c 1875 Derby????

Offline maidmarianoops

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • somewhere over the rainbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 December 11 13:09 GMT (UK) »
could it be that your mum had married someone earlier than your dad

strange things did happen

sylvia
notts/derbys clark
      "        "      stenson
        "       "    nicholson
       "     "        jarvis
                         castledine
    rhodes

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 December 11 13:18 GMT (UK) »
could it be that your mum had married someone earlier than your dad

strange things did happen

sylvia

I've just looked at the tree again and they have her maiden name as the same as my mother's married name but the person on the tree has my mother's death record (I know it's my mother's - I registered it).  Although the person on the tree was married, according to the tree, her death was registered in her maiden name.

Rishile
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 December 11 13:19 GMT (UK) »
It can be difficult when it's a close relative, I know, but I'm sure it was a simple mistake  :)
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 December 11 13:22 GMT (UK) »
It can be difficult when it's a close relative, I know, but I'm sure it was a simple mistake  :)

I'm sure it was Nick.  Maybe I'm being a bit sensitive because of the time of year.

Rishile
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

Offline Emjaybee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Yer I be again
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 December 11 13:47 GMT (UK) »
My   Relatives are recorded in the census from 1841 to 1911 in the same UK village, yet some Anc's insist on listing them in a similar town name in USA.

Some people collect thousands of names regardless of any proof, tens of thousands in some trees.

It is a shame you were upset, think of these people as morons.

Best wishes for Christmas.

Mike
Beard Voyce, Scrivens in Worcestershire

Offline robbo43

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Kathie 1932 - 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 December 11 21:57 GMT (UK) »
My   Relatives are recorded in the census from 1841 to 1911 in the same UK village, yet some Anc's insist on listing them in a similar town name in USA.

This is an Ancestry problem, in some cases if you don't tell it the village is in England the system assumes it is  in America and picks an American settlement of the same name.

Doesn't excuse name chasers or those who blindly accept Ancestry "hints" without checking them though.

Robert
FLOOD - Exeter, Middlesex.  DAVEY - Norfolk, Herts, West Ham.  MILLS - Hampshire.  GARLAND - Sussex.  BRIGHT - Hampshire, GULLIVER - Hampshire, Sussex, London.  NOCKELS - Norfolk.  POMEROY - Exeter.  RANDALL - Sussex, Surrey.  REYNOLDS - Cambridgeshire.  BOWYER - Cambridgeshire & Suffolk.  STUPPELL - Kent.  MISSEN - Cambridgeshire.  TAYLOR - Cambridgeshire.  TOWNSEND - London.  CURTIN - London, GIBBONS - Suffolk, BROWN - Suffolk, SWALE(S) - Yorkshire, GAIN - Sussex

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 December 11 10:46 GMT (UK) »
I received an Ancestry "hint", although I'm only a guest member, and amongst other entries found my own name on a tree.  I then edited the entry to read "living person", so it now stops at my parents, who are both dead.  The other entries are correct and can be found in public records anyway.  I guess the person who invited me to be a guest member and who is distantly related to me has added my family to his, which is fair enough.  I did allow him to see my tree on GR, after all.

Gillg
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.