Author Topic: William Armstrong, 18 Carter street, Bishopwearmouth, Sunderland  (Read 2335 times)

Offline Rewcastle

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
William Armstrong, 18 Carter street, Bishopwearmouth, Sunderland
« on: Friday 16 December 11 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Where did William Armstrong disappear to?

My 3rd great grandfather's brother William Armstrong was born on 12th April 1859.
In 1881 he is living with his sister Elizabeth at 18 Carter street, Bishopwearmouth, Sunderland and his occupation was a builders clerk. His father had died in 1879 leaving £800 in his will. In the will, it says that William and Elizabeth shall have posession and the rents and profits from his dwelling house, 18 Carter street, Bishopwearmouth and his premises of 13, Bramwell street, Bishopwearmouth until William attained the age of 25 years or dies or marries or Elizabeth marries.

Later on in 1881, William's sister Elizabeth married John Clegram Brewis, the son of a master butcher of Walworth street, Bishopwearmouth. Walworth street was also where William and Elizabeth's father had previously had a Timber merchant business.

I have traced all the other members of the family, but William seems to have disappeared.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Armstrong, 18 Carter street, Bishopwearmouth, Sunderland
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 December 11 13:50 GMT (UK) »
He could have emigrated to America, Canada, or Australia, etc. What did he inherit at the age of 25?

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rewcastle

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: William Armstrong, 18 Carter street, Bishopwearmouth, Sunderland
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 December 11 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Basically Elizabeth and William got the use of the houses with all the contents and rents, until they died, married or reached a certain age. All the monies were to be put into good securities with each child receiving £10 to start with and a similar amount every so often or when needed, until the houses were sold, when all the monies were to be collected and split equally between all his five children.

The trustees William Robson, Timber merchant of 6 Harold street, Sunderland and Joseph Augustus London of Rock Lodge, Claxheugh in the County of Durham were given £19:19s as recompense for carrying out the trusts.