Author Topic: Carmody and Dunn Family from Beal  (Read 7100 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Carmody and Dunn Family from Beal
« Reply #9 on: Friday 30 December 11 09:29 GMT (UK) »
Here's a working link to that baptism - not sure it fits though, parents are John Carmody and Mary Hassett, rather than Thomas Carmody and Mary Danaher as you had earlier.

Baptism of Thomas Carmody - 18 Dec 1852

I think it might be better to start your search in Ireland with the marriage, and work back from there. A cert for that should show father's names and occupations..

Shane

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline jan carmody

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 30 December 11 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shane,
That's certainly not the parents that I had...
Would love to start from their marriage certificate; if I could only find it!
Big mystery!

Jan.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 30 December 11 10:11 GMT (UK) »
At least that baptism shows there was at least one Carmody family in Beal at around the right time, and a child named Thomas - it could be that something in the clues is slightly out. e.g. a date, location or the timeline

I think I searched before for a civil marriage around 1876, but will double check... certainly no sign of one that I can see in Co. Kerry. The closest entries on the BMD Index  seem to be two Thomas Carmody marriages in 1874 in Limerick City district.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Tim Jolly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 09 February 12 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Jan, might be a bit of a coincidence But i have been looking into this last year myself with no luck as items don't match.  One  of the sons, i suspect we are talking about the same family, was my grandfather William Maurice CARMODY , . I now live in Dublin in Ireland, originally from gippsland  aus and was so interested in your discussion. That's if we are related? I was of the understanding they left Kerry, went to Dublin, got married then went to aus. However, can't find the wedding Certs. The problem i found with all the birth Certs in aus was the spellings were all messed up.   Shane I had the birthplace as ballywigan as well, not aware of any ballywigan in Kerry. which threw me off, limerick sounds right to me. Where did you see that tree? 
Jan, CARMODY is a name  found in clare and kerry and even there it isn't  that popular, really. I'm hoping for that reason it will be easier to chase the information. Tim

Offline jan carmody

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 09 February 12 01:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tim,
So great to hear from you. Yes, we are related; William Maurice CARMODY was my 'Uncle Bill' and my father's brother. Dad was John Thoms Carmody (1910-1996) and I have lots of information about the family in Australia but have had no luck in Ireland. They definitely left form Greenock, Scotland aboard the 'Famenoth' in 1876...the closest I can get to where they lived is in Beal, County Kerry as that is on quite a few of the certificates I have. I agree about the spelling...it's very frustrating. I am happy to share with you any information I have about the CARMODY family.
I am assuming you are Denise's son as she was telling me about you just recently when she came to mum's funeral at the end of October, 2011.
Looking forward to hearing from you again,
Jan.
P.S. As Denise is my cousin, we must be second cousins!!!

Offline Tim Jolly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 09 February 12 07:05 GMT (UK) »
Jan,
I think he was born in ballyvegan, in Tralee, county Kerry. That's the closest I got to ballywigan. Do you think that suits your records? If it does I will try to find his birth cert. Irish system are currently being updated. Unfortunately not as good that far back. Yes Denise is my mum. If you need any assistance let be know? I will continue the hunt. Tim

Offline jan carmody

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 09 February 12 09:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tim,
I have info with them both born in Beal, Kerry and other info connecting them to Ballybunnion, Beal. I think Beal and Ballybunnion are close to each other. It would be wonderful if you could find their marriage certificate...I have been looking for years!!!
If you message me your email address, I can send you my Ancestry Family Tree.
Cheers,
Jan.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 09 February 12 09:17 GMT (UK) »
Beal is about 7km from Ballybunnion .. see : link

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline jan carmody

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 09 February 12 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shane,
It's great to get a perspective like that...
They are very close to each other; it's more difficult to get that understanding whe you don't live in Ireland.
Jan.