Author Topic: James BARKER in Baslow  (Read 13226 times)

Offline shandobe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James BARKER in Baslow
« Reply #18 on: Friday 05 October 12 10:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Veronica

The record for George Baker's death is
      1840,  Bakewell,  Derbyshire,  Vol 19, page 324,  age 57
and for Sarah
      Jun quarter, 1875, Bakewell, Derbyshire,  86 years old  Vol 7b page 428

How would you describe Bubnell as it was back in their time? Is it now a suburb of Bakewell?

Don

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 05 October 12 12:03 BST (UK) »
 Veronica and Don.....Back then the parish was Baslow with Bubnell...and The death is registered at the Civil Registration district of Bakewell.which cover virtually half the County..It does not mean he was buried at Bakewell.There is a burial for a George Barker (of Bubnell) at Baslow 21.01.1840 aged 58........which would have been registered at Bakewell...All burials had to have a Civil registration.......its the same George..and with Sarah same thing..buried 18.05.1875 (of Bubnell) aged 87..woud have been registered at Bakewell the following month............................so as i said earlier they are both buried at Baslow.

Derek.
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline Gladys1979

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 05 October 12 15:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Derbysderek,
Will the church be able to help me locate the grave. I did think there would be no headstone yesterday when we were looking. Thanks Veronica.

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 05 October 12 18:55 BST (UK) »
Veronica....I'm afraid not..in my experience (at Ashford and other villages) there is no trace left. There are often a lot of defaced or broken, or simply worn gravestones scattered against walls....and its not much fun searching them...which means they have been moved from their original..long forgotten...grave, which has often been re-used. Sad I know, but like me, at least you know they ARE buried somewhere in that Churchyard..
I'm sure your WI ladies will tell you exactly the same thing..............
Strange though, because they are both relatively recent burials..which means they probably never had Headstones..again just like my family......but you must ask......

Derek.
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline shandobe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 05 October 12 21:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Veronica and Derek
From an Australian experience, maybe we expect that they would have done what we now think is a normal thing to do, erect a headstone.  It could have been simply that they did not have the money for headstones.
Veronica, your contact details came through on your last posting, so I will arrange to copy a few things through to you.
regards
Don

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 18 March 13 05:31 GMT (UK) »
  Should you get back to the Barker's of Bakewell around the middle of the 18th century then the following may be of interest:

The Metropolitan Archives library:
Document 1 (Ms 29744A) – Loose leaf
William Barker, son of Thomas & Sarah Barker of Bakewell in Derbyshire, born 31th Jan 1739, was married in Smyrna to Thora Robin daughter of Giovanni Batista & Katerina Robin (French subjects) born in Smyrna August 1739, by the Lutheran minister Christophoro Guighilma Ludecke, according to the rites of the church of England, the 16th Oct 1763.
Children: Sarah / Thomas (x) / William / Gratia / John / Robert / George, 1764-1774
Some christened by Dutch minister B. Keun
Some christened by English minister B. Clendon
Flora the wife of William Barker died 16 Dec 1775
1776 remarried Dutch subject Elizabeth Mary Schnell who was born in Smyrna 1760, married by B.Keun.
Children: Arthur Francis (x) / Richard / Marianna / James (x) / Mary / Edward / Peter (x) / Francis (x) / Frederick / Louisa / Samuel / Henry Richards / Benjamin, 1777-1797
Sworn to the truth of above, signed before me 1806
Also signed by André Slaars (resident 50 years), Robert Wilkinson (resident 34 years).
Done due to the ‘Consularian house fire’ 1797.

What I find quite amazing is that when I got married in Izmir in Jan 1957 the Consul who married us was a Richard Wilkinson.      Sounds like the British Consulate was a long time occupation for the Wilkinsons for nearly 200 years!!!
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline shandobe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 20 March 13 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou for that Malcom33.
I am still trying to determine the births and marriage of George and Sarah before stepping back earlier into the 18th century.

regards
Don

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 20 March 13 13:47 GMT (UK) »
I'm sorry..I sort of lost track of this thread..so I'm not sure what you've found out..........but I do have the Baslow Parish records..from which I offer you the following baptism:-

CALEB BARKER bapt. 07.03.1830 son of George and Sarah.........I have to say that \i an find no evidence that he was ever called James........particularly as he appears to have been married as Caleb..and a word of warning..the Baslow registers show George and Sarah producing children right through from 1804 to 1830.............I find that difficult to believe and suggest that any children "older" than Peter 07.07.1816..or George 07.07.1820..might be children of another George and Sarah..........

Derek.

Offline shandobe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 21 March 13 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Derek

From the Baslow records that you do have, can you shed any light on the dates of the marriage of George and Sarak Barker. We know from purchased certificates that George died in 1840 aged 57 as a weaver; so his birth is about 1783. Sarah died 1875 aged 86; so her birth was about 1789.
If George married at about 20 y.o. that means Sarah was about 14 y.o. Is this plausable or are one of the dates or ages on the certificates wrong.
A question if I may about George's death cert', the informant is William Barker, possibly his son. But this son;s position is given as "Inmate Bubnell", can you enlighten me on this description?

regards
Don