Author Topic: James BARKER in Baslow  (Read 13196 times)

Offline shandobe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James BARKER in Baslow
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 03 October 12 11:32 BST (UK) »
I would like to talk more with you on this person.
The James I am researching was born about 1830 in Baslow, Derbyshire. If your G-mother was born in 1864, there seems to be a generation between these two. And my problem is I'm unsure if my James was named James Caleb.

Don

Offline Gladys1979

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 03 October 12 13:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Don.,
Sorry, my mistake, I am quite new to this. Caleb was my maternal grandmother, Mary Stones' (nee Barker) father. I've had help from a librarian at my local library who's also a genealogist. I've got  info. back to George and Sarah Barker's children, Caleb (James) was next to the youngest born 7.3.1830 in Baslow . The 1841 census when Caleb was 11 they were living in Bubnell which is part of Baslow.
We do have 2 very old photo's. of relatives in Australia, but I have to find out which member of my family has them. Caleb and Septimus were known as Barker Brothers, Herbalists 263 Victoria Street Melbourne. Septimus died whilst visiting his son 25 April 1915 @ 9 Carson Street Kew Melbourne. I still have to collate all the info. I have. My friend did say it was quite difficult researching Caleb because of being known as James as well. He emigrated from Glasgow to Brisbane in 1883 and moved to Melbourne to be with Septimus later ( don't know when though). Hope you have a little bit more info. from this.  Veronica Element nee Sanderson.

Offline Gladys1979

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 03 October 12 13:54 BST (UK) »
Postscript to my original message re. Caleb. The 1841 census region Bakewell, both Baslow and Bubnell would come under this region. I only live 6 miles from Baslow.
Veronica.

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 03 October 12 18:56 BST (UK) »
Hello Don..I think you should know that. according to the Baslow parish records..there is NO JAMES BARKER baptised 1830.....the only person of that name was baptised 1819..........
CALEB BARKER was baptised at Baslow 07.03.1830 son of George and Sarah...no indication that he was ever called james............could be a middle name i suppose.......

Derek.
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline shandobe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 03 October 12 22:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Veronica

This man has been somewhat of a puzzle for a while concerning the christen names. For me, when I follow back from my g-grandfather Frederick Barker, his birth certificate lists his parents as James Barker and Maria Woolhouse. But I can only find a marriage for Caleb and Maria. So I am not sure if Caleb adopted the name James or if he was christened with it as a second name. You can read through my original postings about following the man on census forms.
I already have a long list of information about Septimus; from his migration through to his residences as recorded on census rolls. The Melbourne suburb for the Barker Brothers herbalist shop was Richmond.
Caleb died 18 Feb 1891 in Melbourne Gaol from alcoholic pneumonia, as it is listed on his death certificate. I have photos of his wife Maria, but don't know if any existed of Caleb. My grandmother had Maria's photo is her collection with a note on the back of it saying Maria was her grandmother. Maria stayed in Melbourne with her son Albert Edward. She passed away 30 Jun 1923.
Don

Offline Gladys1979

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 04 October 12 10:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Don,
Quite shocked at Caleb's demise!. I had got quite attached to him. The reason for my search started with finding out that my mum. had 9 siblings. We were only aware of 3, she had no contact with these 3 after the war, but they seemed to be really close before and during the war. Mum. had to leave her house in Sheffield with my 2 sisters because of bomb damage, my dad was in North Africa in the army. My paternal grandparents lived in Chesterfield to where my mum. went. None of my family can understand why my mother never talked about her other brothers and sisters. What we all surmised is that maybe some of them went to Australia. I will leave Caleb alone now, and concentrate on what happened to the rest of the brothers and sisters.  But your James Caleb Barker is definitely your g.g. grandfather. Are you in Australia?. Veronica.

Offline shandobe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 05 October 12 00:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Veronica

Yesterday I tried to attach the death certificate for Caleb to that posting, but it is too large, exceeding the 500kb limit for attachments. I think the site administrator will allow us to communicate through other email addresses, so if you like, contact me on *
Caleb and Sep had I think two other brothers in Australia, all living in the same general area. I can also send you the family group information that I have collected over the  years.
Yes I am in Australia; I got excited when I finally found a contact in the UK because of the hope of discovering more about that branch of the family.

regards
Don
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Gladys1979

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 05 October 12 09:25 BST (UK) »
HI Don.,
My husband Peter and I went to Baslow Church yesterday. After searching the graveyard I went into the church. The Womens Institute have listed all the graves with date of death, death age, and where the graves are. I did hope to find Calebs mother and father but they were not on the list. I did find quite a few Barkers though.
I will send you the names etc. to see if they match anything you have. Be quite exciting if there is. Regards Veronica.

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 05 October 12 09:48 BST (UK) »
Good morning Veronica...re your visit to Baslow Church.....we are also local and visit most of the villages and Churches around Bakewell...My family originate from Ashford in the water from 1757.......I have seen the record to which you refer, and I have also got the Baslow PR's............I'm pretty sure that George and Sarah are buried there somewhere.....I think that book is for existing MI's.....and in those days most people could not afford Gravestones...........My whole family up to 1840 is buried at Ashford..but only John Gilchrist 1807-1808 has a gravestone.......which has beautiful italic script..and I'm sure it was put up later by his brother William, my GGGrandfather..a Stone Mason....
Any derbyshire research you're doing..just ask me!!
(Since i posted this..i have posted again..proving the burials of both George and Sarah at Baslow..see below)
Derek
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....