Author Topic: David/Donald/Daniel Johnston  (Read 3329 times)

Offline familyfromthepast

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
David/Donald/Daniel Johnston
« on: Tuesday 20 December 11 10:39 GMT (UK) »
I have a David alias Donald[Daniel] Johnston who was transported to Australia in 1831 aboard the Edward [2].
His trial was in Longford 10/3/1830, his offense was stealing clothes, and his sentence was ten years. He was originally from Cork. He was 27 years of age when convicted, listed as single.
Can anyone help me find a transcript of the court proceedings from Longford??I have no idea where to start looking.
Thanks for any help  :)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: David/Donald/Daniel Johnston
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 December 11 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Very few court records survive from the 1830s, and most of the transportation records in Ireland no longer exist. Another source that is sometimes worth checking is newspapers, as some basic details about trials can sometimes be included. The date in this case might be a little early though for Longford town newspapers...

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David/Donald/Daniel Johnston
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 December 11 14:07 GMT (UK) »
There is this material - the first two on the list below - http://www.longfordlibrary.ie/lib_arc_inside.aspx?id=21778. I've seen similar from another county and don't remember it including any more information than you already have though.