Author Topic: anne mcleod  (Read 14610 times)

Offline don_niagara

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: anne mcleod
« Reply #18 on: Friday 23 December 11 04:15 GMT (UK) »
One last post before turning in for the night...

John Michael is at Sionascaig in the 1827 Lochbroom Militia List, Shepherd, above 30 years of age (but less than 60), claiming exemption as having three or more children.

Not present in the 1825 or 1826 lists, but that is not definative proof he was not yet at Sionascaig, as those lists are shorter, and no one else is listed as there.

Donald.

Primarly Coigach, but also other parts of Ross and Cromarty.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 23 December 11 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Just found this tree on the site that I linked to earlier (Coigach lines),  which I think is relevant:

http://coigachlines.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/sdd-53.jpg

Click on the diagram to enlarge

gnu

(I recognise the handwriting  :) )
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline dhowse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 31 December 12 05:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris
I am researching the Michael family.
One of my first husband's ancestors was Christina Michael married Donald McLeod.
She was the daughter of John MacMichael and Jannet Ross,
regards
deb

Offline Andy_MacMichael

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 18 July 21 15:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Deb

I hope you don't mind me replying to this thread. I'm new to this platform. I'm holidaying on Lewis & Harris at the moment, as often happens when I'm visiting Scotland I was doing some basic ancestry searching on the internet and came across this thread.

Are you still interested in finding out about John MacMichael and Jannet Ross? I'm a direct descendant, one of my late Uncles, Dougal carried out some genealogical research via the Scottish Ancestry Association back in the 1980's which I'd been happy to share with you, when I'm back home (in England) later this week. I'm interested in finding out what I can,  I've often seen the surname referred to as McMichael but never just Michael, I'd always assumed some of these errors were due to Gaelic usage converted into English (ofcourse Gaelic was outlawed in the aftermath of Culloden in 1747).

I'm also keen to find out more about my late Mum's family, based in Inverness but with very common surnames, Fraser & MacKenzie, any tips about where to start (I've tried Ancestry.co.uk but there's not much there in the way if Scottish records).

I hope to hear from you.

Kind regards

Andy

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 18 July 21 18:13 BST (UK) »
I'm also keen to find out more about my late Mum's family, based in Inverness but with very common surnames, Fraser & MacKenzie, any tips about where to start (I've tried Ancestry.co.uk but there's not much there in the way if Scottish records).
See https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Andy_MacMichael

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 18 July 21 18:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you that's much appreciated  :)

Offline dhowse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 18 July 21 21:20 BST (UK) »
My information on here is incorrect.
Christina Micheal who married Donald McLeod was the daughter of George Mitchell and Rochel Mathieson.
Deb

Offline Andy_MacMichael

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 18 July 21 22:13 BST (UK) »
Okay, thanks for the clarification.