Author Topic: John SHERWOOD - Peasmarsh 1800s  (Read 7975 times)

Offline karenfh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John SHERWOOD - Peasmarsh 1800s
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 12 January 12 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Melbell
Nice to hear from you. What is the maiden name of your Sarah, as in John & Sarah. I don't know where I got the info about Jane, probably when I was just starting out with the research and being naive believed everything I read. I now know better but it only makes it harder trying to verify every bit of info. Mind you it's fun too but mostly frustrating for this line.
Karen

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 13 January 12 13:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello Karen

I doubled checked SFHG Baptisums & found Jane,same Jane as Melbell
found.

Hello Melbell

Welcome to Rootschat  :)

I personally woud`nt dismiss the marriage gataki found.Loads of couples had Kids first & married later :).Some never even married :)

Kind Regards
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline Melbell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 13 January 12 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Dear Karen

Thanks for your reply.  If only I knew the maiden name of Sarah who married John Sherwood - that's the big question!  Sometimes I think that perhaps they never married at all and she just called herself his wife; but they definitely had children together, including my ancestor Sarah. If Sarah Funnell is the correct person (I am not definitely ruling her out yet), I wonder why the pre-1811 children were recorded at baptism as the off-spring of John and Sarah Sherwood/Sharwood?

Which of their children are you descended from?  Another thing I've never found yet is a death/burial for John's wife Sarah.  I am convinced that they were both dead by 1841 as their son John (born 1824) is shown in the census aged 15 living with his married sister Mary Clarke and family in Iden.

Have you done much research on this line, or are you just starting out?  Perhaps we have stuff we could usefully exchange?

Melbell  :)

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 14 January 12 08:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello Karen & Melbell

I have done a bit more digging.

A John & Sarah Sharewood had 4 children Baptised at Sale hurst between Nov 1811 &  Feb1817.

Dad was a Rope Maker & appears to be from Robertsbridge.

There is a burial at Salehurst for a John Sharewood,9 Nov 1824,aged 35

John & Sarah from Peasmarsh appear now to be a differant couple.

Peasmarsh is not far from the Kent Border,maybe they married there,
just an idea.

Kind Regards

omega

Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline Melbell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 14 January 12 16:56 GMT (UK) »
 :)Hello again, Omega and Karen

Thank you Omega for the Salehurst info.  I think this John Sherwood is the one baptised at Salehurst 23 November 1788, son of John and Elizabeth Sharewood nee Pike.  I agree that he is not 'our' John of Peasmarsh.  I have tried quite hard to find a suitable marriage in Kent for John and the elusive Sarah but no luck so far.  There is the Rye connection as well: son John born 1824 was baptised at the Methodist Church there, and when his sister (my ancestor) Sarah married in Brede in 1837 she was described as living in Rye.  I have wondered in the past whether the elder Sarah came from Iden?  Or whether she was a relation, possibly a sister, of John's first wife Hannah Wright - you know, came to look after the widower and his children, stayed a bit, got friendly.....etc but couldn't marry because of the legal impediment.  No evidence though, I'm afraid, pure speculation!

The search continues.........

Melbell

Offline karenfh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 16 January 12 02:51 GMT (UK) »
One of my thoughts regarding Jane Sherwood was the possibility of her being born around the time that Hannah died, which was 1807 and therefore not baptised till 1808. I don't suppose there is any way of finding out who her parents were? Or even of finding out the cause of Hannah's death?
Too many questions, not enough answers!!!!
Thank you for all your help Omega and Melbel - it's been great sleuthing with you.

Offline Melbell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 16:36 BST (UK) »
I'm resurrecting this thread because my search has not stopped since 2012 and I've now got a new theory.

16th August 1807 Sarah BARNETT spinster married John SHARWOOD widower in Tenterden (over the border in Kent).  They apparently had no children baptised in Tenterden.  I think this might be/am hoping (!) that this is the couple who lived in Peasmarsh.

1 December 1805 Peasmarsh Mahala Neeves BARNETT was baptised, base-born child of Sarah Barnett.
24 September 1826 St. Clement Hastings - Mahala Neeves Barnett otp m. Cornelius BANNISTER of Peasmarsh (bapt. Peasmarsh 3 November 1805).  Mahala Bannister is easily traceable until her burial in Peasmarsh in 1879.

But I cannot find anything else about Sarah. She certainly doesn't seem to hail from Tenterden or anywhere else in Kent. Can anyone suggest a baptism, parents, anything before 1805 please?

Melbell