Author Topic: Look up Request - Lowes 1841  (Read 3977 times)

Offline Gareth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Look up Request - Lowes 1841
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 31 May 05 16:12 BST (UK) »
OK. My father (who claims to know every farm name in the entire county, with some justification) confirms the old bastle house along the road from Dueshill SE of Holystone is called Woodhouses.

Shawbush is some 2km NE of Bellingham on the road to West Woodburn (NY 868 842). Not a big place, probably just a cottage these days. Maybe always was?

gareth
Tyneside - Almond, Lowes, Lackenby, Johnston
Berwick - Ronaldson

Offline cloe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 31 May 05 17:53 BST (UK) »
the bastle is still there , have a nice photo.
the Woodhouses Farm and cottage is now called Holystone Grange on modern os maps. but its down as a farm on the maps of 1866 approx.
Have pictures of Craig , talked to the owners father  and Colwellhill where Edward was a shepherd and the pub
Cloe

Offline Christianmpoulsen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Dear all
I came across this post. I also have ancestors called Lowe who link to the people above.
My direct ancestor was Mary Ann Lowes b1793 Bellingham d1878 Easington. Her parents were Benjamin Lowes and Elizabeth Heron. She was the sister to Nicholas Lowes who was the farmer of 940 acres at Woodhouses, Dueshill.

Christian
Robson (NBL ENGLAND); Armstrong (NBL ENGLAND);Richardson (NBL ENGLAND); Money (NFK & NBL ENGLAND); Gibson (NBL ENGLAND);
Swoish/Swash (NFK ENGLAND);Reed (NBL ENGLAND);
Watson (NBL ENGLAND); Church (NFK ENGLAND); Trobe/Trollop (NBL ENGLAND); Lowes (NBL ENGLAND);
Sherwood (NBL ENGLAND); Harrison (NBL ENGLAND)