Author Topic: Swansea Prison 1891  (Read 13099 times)

Offline bubbles2011

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Swansea Prison 1891
« on: Sunday 25 December 11 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me please?
I have found out from the 1891 Census that an ancestor was in Swansea Prison (unknown to any family members). The lady was my gg grandmother and I was wondering how do I find out why she was in prison?  She was born and I believe lived in Breconshire!
Any advice would be really great!
Thank you

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Swansea Prison 1891
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 December 11 18:10 GMT (UK) »
What was her name and have you any further information about her. Marriage, age, married name, husband's name, children (not living), etc..

Offline bubbles2011

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 December 11 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi thank you.
Her name was Mary Jane Perks ne James born 1861/62 in Brecknock Breconshire was married to a John George Perks marriage took place abt 1880 in Breconshire. I can only find one child at the time a William Henry Perks born abt 1888. She was 29 when residing at Swansea Prison on the 1891 census.

Thanks again any help would be appreciated! We are all very intrigued by this!

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 December 11 04:24 GMT (UK) »
I can see on the Internet at least two people in the last ten years who have been trying to research Mary Jane (James) Perks ancestry. They had no visible luck.
I found no evidence why she went to prison but her husband was still alive and she returned to him after serving her time. What are the options in 1891 for a woman? - probably stealing something valuable!!! Here is her life.
1861+- - Mary James born Breckonshire, probably Brecon. No Mary Jane James. 6 Mary or Mary Ann James registered in Breckonshire 1858-1864.
1880- Married JUN Qtr. Probably Brecon. Definitely Breckonshire. Husband George Perks.
1881-Census-Living at 4 Silver Street, Brecon, (St. David's Parish) with husband George Perks from Wolverhampton, Staffordshire.
1887: DEC Qtr. William Henry Perks born Breckonshire, probably Brecon.
1891-Census-Prisoner in Swansea, Glamorgan. Husband George living in Penderyn, Glamorgan. George from Wolverhampton, Staffordshire.
1901-Census-Living with her husband , Clydach Vale, Ystradyfodwg, Glamorgan. George from Smethwick, Staffordshire. William Henry living with them.
1911- Census-Living with her husband (born in Wolverhampton again) Rhondda, Glamorgan. William Henry living with them.
1913- William Henry believed to have married Florence A. Pitbryant but this is in dispute. DEC Qtr. 1913, Pontypridd, Glamorgan.
1929- JUN Qtr. Mary Jane probably died in Ystradyfodwg, Glamorgan.

Offline bubbles2011

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 December 11 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your kindness in researching for me, I am very grateful to you!
Would you please be able to answer a few more questions please?
Would you know how long Mary Jane was in prison for?
Why is William Henry wedding in dispute?
On the 1911 Census it says that John George and Mary Jane had 15 children 11 died 4 survived but I can only find two children William Henry Perks born abt 1887 and Ada Maud Perks born abt 1898, have you any idea how I could find the other two children?

Your help is much appreciated
Thanks again.

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 December 11 20:56 GMT (UK) »
William Henry PERKS son of Sarah Ellen HARRISON and husband  John PERKS
was born on {Monday} 26 Dec 1887 in Brindley Ford, Staffs. He died on 22 Feb 1949 in Penrhiwfer, Glamorgan. William Henry married Florence PITBRYANT on 25 Nov 1913 in Pontypridd, Glam. (This from Web Site of John and Barbara Dixon). Brecknock William Henry Perks was registered in December 1887. Staffs William Henry Perks was registered Wolstanton, Staffordshire, March 1888 which is reasonable as the calendar for 1887 is the same as 2011 and he was born on Boxing Day Monday 1887 and his parents waited until the next weeks to register him (1888). One of these William Henry Perks married in Pontypridd 25 November 1913. Was it Staffs William Henry or was it Brecknock Willliam Henry who was living in Ystradyfodwg/Rhondda,  1911 Census and both these places being in Pontypridd Registration District.

Offline bubbles2011

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 December 11 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your time researching and your response.
The William Henry I am looking for is the Brecknock one, brother to Ada Maud Perks.
Would the other William Henry be a relative to them due to John George Perks being from Staffordshire? Or in England is Perks a popular surname?
William Henry with the Brecknock Perks is a popular family name!!

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 December 11 22:51 GMT (UK) »
The problem is the the other researcher is saying the Staffordshire Perks is the one that married in 1913. I think it is the Brekcnock one i.e. your one, is the one that married in Pontypool Registration District, 1913.

Offline briwales

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 December 11 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bubbles,
Just info for you going on what you are saying.

I Find a Samuel Perks buried at Trealaw Cemetery That is Ystradyfodwg that died aged 16 days in 1916 in an unmarked plot.

A Phillip Alfred Perks aged 5 Months Died 1922 buried in with Mary Jane Perks aged 68 died in 1930 both in Plot V406.

Hope this is of help to you,

Regards

Brian
Davies,Wood Wales,Somerset