Author Topic: Temperance Hotel, Leeds 1911  (Read 7520 times)

Offline northern_rose

• RootsChat Veteran
  • At least one of my ancestors was glamorous!
    • View Profile
Temperance Hotel, Leeds 1911
« on: Tuesday 27 December 11 00:12 GMT (UK) »
Just found one of hubbie's ancestors as manager & proprietor of a Temperance Hotel in Leeds in 1911. (Frederick Charles Haswell, along with his wife and kids who are working as waitresses)

I'm really wondering if anyone can name or has any info on the said Hotel? The address they are at is 3 George & Dragon Yard, which I can't find on a map but believe may have become Burton Arcade. They are next door to the White Bear Inn which is at no 2.

Any pointers gratefully received!
Wilson in the Lancaster area
Clegg in Todmorden
Adamson in Edinburgh
Miller in Edinburgh
Nunn in Norfolk and Co Durham
Smith in Glasgow
Haig in Peebles/Edinburgh
Also Nelson, Gardener, Garnett, Blair, Coleman, Aaronson and many more as the branches expand!

Census info is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Temperance Hotel, Leeds 1911
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 December 11 01:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi

From the bits of info found below- I get a mental picture of -Apparently Burton store (possible Now gone for a modern multi store complex) was build on the old George and Dragon yard off Briggate Leeds in 1938  and Briggate  is now a pedestrian ( a Street or Road) area  in Leeds

(As was) Off The BRIGGATE (Main Road)Leeds its seems there was little Yards and (Guessing without a map) there was an H or P shaped Yards with two entrances off The Briggate  (Main Road) connecting in the Middle with (the middle line of the H or P shape overview of the yard ['s]) one entrance at (21 Briggate) Kenyon's Court the other (At 41 Briggate) George and Dragon Yard and Myres lane between connecting. (See photo)

Sorry !- its the Best I can do on scatty very limited  info so ! -For more confirmation- I would contact Leeds central library Local studies as they may have detailed Maps and old photo's around 1911 maybe some books etc.

on Very limited Proof FIRST

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/Misc/Transcriptions/WRY/LeedsStreets1853.html
George and Dragon yard, 41 Briggate

Kenyon's court, 21 Briggate

http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIdentifier=8925&DISPLAY=FULL

Also Contact Janet the Librarian at YAS Claremont house Leeds

She has a Name and Place card draw index of Yorkshire at her finger tips and on computer second to none. (Catalogued built by herself!)

She will known more old Leeds if anyone does.

http://www.yas.org.uk/content/contact.html

THEN

Some bits and bobs I have found below,

Good hunting!  :)

Happy New year  :D

Dob's (formally Dobby)

This may help you track it down

16th March 1938. From the left; Burtons Arcade or previously known as the George and Dragon Yard. Numbers 42, 43, 44 Burtons tailor. The factory which made clothes for Montague Burton shops was in Hudson Road, Harehills. By 1925 it was the largest clothing factory in the world. Above the shop, The Imperial Hotel, with Nelson's billiard hall. In 1961 the old hotel building was demolished and Burton company rebuilt new store on the site. Numbers 45, 46 J. Lyons cafe, a sign on top of the building advertises Lyons Swiss Rolls. In the middle of the road are tram stops, number 3 route tram can be seen. Also two handcarts with ladders.

http://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?resourceIdentifier=2002319_40171450

http://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?resourceIdentifier=2002319_40171450
http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIdentifier=6088

http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messages.aspx?ThreadID=300&StartAtMessage=1650

http://www.leodis.org/searchResults.aspx?LOCID=9999&DECADE=0&YEAR=&KEYWORDS=%20Temperance%20Hotel&KEYWORDS2=&KEYWORDS3=&ANDOR2=&ANDOR3=&RECSPAGE=5&VIEW=1&CURRPAGE=1

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 December 11 02:40 GMT (UK) »
http://www26.us.archive.org/stream/nationalseculars1880nati#page/n1/mode/2up
National Secular Society
1885Leeds Branch of the NSS, Parker's Temperance Hotel, Briggate— May 17 (7), Mr.
Cull, The Design Argument — a Reading. Leeds Secular Naturalist Club and
scientific Association. — May 17, if fine, meeting at St. Columbia Street at
8.30, ...
books.google.com
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=mbxCAAAAYAAJ&q=temperance+hotel+briggate+leeds&dq=temperance+hotel+briggate+leeds&hl=en&redir_esc=y

Full text of "The National Secular Society's almanack"
Conference of N.S.S. at Leeds, 1876. A. Leighton sentenced for libelling the
Episcopate, 1630. ...... With its many branches and increased strength the
National Secular Society ought to ...... 4 1 Leeds. — Crampton's Temperance
Hotel, Briggate. ...... Theodore Parker's Sermons. — The Moral Con- dition of
Boston. ...

http://www26.us.archive.org/stream/nationalseculars1880nati#page/n1/mode/2up

Offline northern_rose

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 December 11 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dob

Thanks for all the links and info. I had found some of the images before a I posted. You have me wondering if they ran the Hotel in Kenyon Court which ran into George & Dragon Court or indeed the Imperial Hotel above the BUrton's shop.

I guess I need a trade listing?

Thanks again
Clegg in Todmorden
Adamson in Edinburgh
Miller in Edinburgh
Smith in Glasgow
Also Nelson, Gardener, Garnett, Blair, Coleman, Aaronson and many more as the branches expand!

Offline northern_rose

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 December 11 20:09 GMT (UK) »
The books are interesting but a little early for my chap who was up in Sunderland until at least 1901. I did find reference to Cramptons Temperance Hotel on Briggate in one of the books.
Clegg in Todmorden
Adamson in Edinburgh
Miller in Edinburgh
Smith in Glasgow

Offline northern_rose

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 December 11 20:48 GMT (UK) »
The only Haswell in the 1910 & 1911 Leeds phone book is Haswell.H.E who is a Shorthand writer.
Clegg in Todmorden
Adamson in Edinburgh
Miller in Edinburgh
Smith in Glasgow

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 December 11 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rose

As I said best contact Leeds Library for further info and surf the net abit more.  I don't usually do this type of ancestry replies but could not get to sleep last night so you were in luck, other members may answer after Xmas festivities.

Good luck!

Dob's  :)

Offline StuartjLee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 16:07 GMT (UK) »
From doing research into my family tree Mr Joseph Watson & Mrs Mary Watson (nee Hirst) were the House Keepers of Temperance Hotel in Leeds in 1911 according to the 1911 cenus, there was also a 19 year old female servant (Isabel) whose surname looks to read as Carol, working there as a general servant.
I don't know if its the same place or not as I do not know how many Temperance hotels were around at the time my 2x great grandparents were there. Hope this helps somewhat.

Just found one of hubbie's ancestors as manager & proprietor of a Temperance Hotel in Leeds in 1911. (Frederick Charles Haswell, along with his wife and kids who are working as waitresses)

I'm really wondering if anyone can name or has any info on the said Hotel? The address they are at is 3 George & Dragon Yard, which I can't find on a map but believe may have become Burton Arcade. They are next door to the White Bear Inn which is at no 2.

Any pointers gratefully received!
Lee,Hopton,Watson,Brown,Naylor,Sirrs,Ibbetson,Flesher

Ward,Mcakan,Metcarfe,Mcfadyen (Romany Heritage)