Author Topic: *COMPLETED* Daniel WHARLEY, Wool Draper of Chalfont St Giles & London  (Read 4944 times)

Offline supermoussi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
*COMPLETED* Daniel WHARLEY, Wool Draper of Chalfont St Giles & London
« on: Wednesday 28 December 11 19:35 GMT (UK) »
A wool draper called Daniel WHARLEY lived at Chalfont St Giles and London in the late 1600s and early 1700s with his wife Mary (Pennington according to the IGI). He owned land in Chalfont St Giles, Chalfont St Peter and Amersham which he sold to Sir Thomas Eyles, Bart & Alderman for £10,700 in 1715.

Does anyone know any more Daniel? Where did he and his family come from and go to?

Thanks.

Offline supermoussi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel WHARLEY, Wool Draper of Chalfont St Giles & London
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 December 11 21:55 GMT (UK) »
I think his will is listed in the PCC as

Will of Daniell or Daniel Wharley, Glover of London 18 July 1733 PROB 11/660

I will check this out maybe 2mrw and update this thread with what I find.

Offline Orpheus

• RootsChat Senior
  • Quartermain arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 December 11 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Can't tell you much about Daniel other than that he was a Quaker.  If Mary PENINGTON was his wife (and I see no reason to dispute this) then she was born at Chalfont in 1657 the daughter of Isaac PENINGTON a noteable Quaker minister.

For more about Isaac PENINGTON see the following link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Penington_(Quaker)
Quartermain and variants - Oxfordshire
Wiggins - Oxfordshire
Lowe - Charney Bassett, Berkshire
Bettle - Bedfordshire and Northamptonshire
Marshall - Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire
Goodman - Buckinghamshire

Offline supermoussi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 December 11 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Orpheus. You seem to be correct but the link should be

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Penington_%28Quaker%29

According to the net Daniel Wharley had only one child, Richard, who like some of the Peningtons and Penns was destined for a life on the waves. However, rather than becoming Admiral of the Fleet or suchlike, he became known as the richest man on the seas before meeting a sticky end...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Worley

Who said sleepy old Chalfont St Giles was boring? Ahoy me hearties! :D

I don't know how reliable those Wiki articles are but can see from the IGI that an Ann Wharley was baptised to a Daniel at Chalfont on 22 FEB 1697. Not sure what became of her.

I looked at the Daniel Wharley, Glover of London will and it is indeed the correct one. He didn't mention any children (it would have been after Richard was executed) but mentioned several Bucks people including:-

James Wall, Wheelright of Amersham
Elizabeth Bartlett of Chalfont St Giles
Wm Child, Wheelwright of Farnham Royal & Family

plus other names familiar to the Chalfont area like Dorrill, Lane, Saunders, Martin, Pierce, etc.

The only other relative mentioned was Daniel's brother, Henry, although no clue was given about his location. Nor were there any clues about whether Daniel originated from the Chalfont area or elsewhere (some say he came from Essex).

Whether any of the earlier/later Chalfont Wharley/Worleys were connected to Daniel, Richard and Henry is another matter but would be interesting to find out.

Offline supermoussi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 April 13 19:34 BST (UK) »
As a postscript the original Daniel WHARLEY was born in Hunsdon, Herts 15 Jul 1652 to a Quaker family that had lived in Hunsdon since the 1500s. He married Mary PENNINGTON, daughter of the religious and philosophical writer Isaac PENNINGTON at Jordans on 4 Sep 1686. He helped finance quakers' emigration to Pennsylvania amongst other things.  He died at the house he built in Chalfont St Giles called "New House" on 3 Apr 1721. Mary died on 13 Sep 1726 and was buried at Jordans.

They had 4 sons who survived childhood, Daniel, Isaac, Henry & Edward. The 1733 will originally mentioned by me was Daniel Jnr's. Daniel, Isaac and Edward all appear to have died relatively early with no families.

Henry seems to have lived longer and may have been buried at Jordans in the late 1700s with his wife Mary. Unfortunately this is confused by the presence of a similarly named Henry WORLEY in Chalfont St Giles who was also married to a Mary and also died in the late 1700s. The names WHARLEY and WORLEY became a bit intermixed and it is not 100% certain which is which. The Henry buried at Jordans is most likely Daniel & Mary's son but no definitive proof has been found yet. The other Henry seems to have been an early methodist and had a large family that remained in Chalfont.

As for, Richard WORLEY the pirate he had nothing to do with the Hunsdon or Chalfont WHARLEY/WORLEYs, well not that I know of any way.  ;)