Author Topic: Did he serve in WW1?  (Read 3750 times)

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Did he serve in WW1?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 29 December 11 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Good evening,

A great many militia units were sent to replace regular units needed in SA. They served in garrisons away from theatres of war, many around the med etc. so earned no medals or plaudits for doing so.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline expatinturkey

• RootsChat Extra
  • My dad in 1943
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 30 December 11 14:38 GMT (UK) »
This could be his service record:

First name(s): Michael

Last name: MCGAUGHEY

Calculated year of birth: 1867 

Parish of birth: Drumragh

Town of birth: Omagh

County of birth: Tyrone

Age at attestation: 30 years

Attestation date: 10 November 1897

Attestation corps: 4TH BATTALION RL INNISKILLING FUSRS REGIMENT 

Attestation soldier number: 1600

Discharge rank: 

Discharge corps: Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers - 27th & 108th Foot

Discharge soldier number: 

The National Archives reference: WO96 / 511 / 25

Cati

I'm getting very confused!! :)
Cati this man sounds very likely but he is too old ( or is it just an estimate age?). I know my man died in 1918 at age 40, so born about 1878 or so.Birth date 1867 is too old.

I've since heard that in WW1 he was gassed in the trenches- but was that actually correct- not sure.
I know he was buried in Fleet.

I'm really grateful for everyone's input.
I'm trying to digest all this ..... I'll be back...... looking for more help....... :)

Thank you very much.
McGaughey, Crawford, WW2 POW, Surrey Fire Brigade, Fintona, Woking

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm the one in the middle...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 30 December 11 14:42 GMT (UK) »

I'm getting very confused!! :)
Cati this man sounds very likely but he is too old ( or is it just an estimate age?). I know my man died in 1918 at age 40, so born about 1878 or so.Birth date 1867 is too old.

This may not be your man (or he may have lies about his age...)

Cati
Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Catch the Blog at http://familytreeblogs.com/kate

Offline expatinturkey

• RootsChat Extra
  • My dad in 1943
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 30 December 11 14:45 GMT (UK) »
He got around a bit, given his attestation location for WWI

Name:    Michael Mcgaughey
Death Date:    29 Oct 1918
Death Location:    Home
Enlistment Location:    Inverness
Regiment:    Corps of Royal Engineers
Battalion:    Inland Water Transport
Number:    WR/342921
Type of Casualty:    Died
Theatre of War:    Home

Yes thank you Mabel , this is my man but his date of passing was 10th Oct not 29th.
Everyone has been so helpful on here! :) Thank you all.

Oh Cati never thought of that! Perhaps he did! :) Interesting.
McGaughey, Crawford, WW2 POW, Surrey Fire Brigade, Fintona, Woking

Offline DaveMcC

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 19 November 21 17:10 GMT (UK) »
I know this is an old post, but I am trying to find out if this Michael McGaughey is my x2 great grandad Michael McGaughey as the records seem a bit confusing with date of his death, his age and parents and wife being Jane.

The online records as mentioned in this thread say the Michael McGaughey who died in 1918 was the son of John and Rose McGaughey and  that his wife was Jane McGaughey living in Liskey, Fintona, Tyrone. However, I am wondering parts of this is mixed up with another Michael McGaughey?

There was a John McGaughey and a Rose Quinn who had a son named Michael McGaughey born in Tyrone on 20th? July 1867 (altough it says their surname is McGahey, which seems to be a variation of McGaughey): https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1867/03475/2276669.pdf

What I know about the Michael McGaughey who is my x2 great grandad was that he was born 29 May 1868 Seskinore, County Tyrone to Michael and Ellen McGaughey. His birth record: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1868/03441/2263489.pdf

Michael married Jane McManus in Coatbridge, Lanarkshire, Scotland in 1897 as I mentioned in this post asking about their marriage record: https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=855570.msg7238625#msg7238625

In a 1901 census record for Liskey Hill, Fintona, County Tyrone he is not menioned as being at home, just his wife Jane, her sister and Michael and Janes son, my great grandad, Michael: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Tyrone/Fintona/Liskey_Hill/1743545/

I have the death record of a Michael McGaughey and its the same as the Michael McGaughey in the Royal Engineers as mentioned here. It says: Michael McGaughey died on 3rd October 1918, Military Hospital Fleetwood, aged 49 Pioneer 342921 Royal Enginners I W & D. Cause of death was Chronic Interstitial Nephritis.

I would like to find out if this death record is for my x2 great grandad Michael as the record saying his parents were John McGaughey and Rose confused me and the death age 40 initially seemed wrong until I saw the official death record saying he was 49, but I know not to take the age as always being 100% correct in those days.

Offline DaveMcC

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 21 November 21 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Update, I was going to delete my post here but can't, but based on help I got in this thread: https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=855570.0, looks like some of the information I posted here was wrong. Looks like Michael McGaughey was the son of John McGahey and Rose Quinn, not Michael and Ellen McGaughey and Jane McManus may not have been from Coatbridge, Lanarkshire as I may have gotten her mixed up with another Jane McManus born in Coatbirdge, Lanarkshire and that this Michael McGaughey mentioned here is my x2 great grandfather.