Author Topic: SIBTHORPE Finds COMPLETED  (Read 15960 times)

Offline deeiluka

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mrs Dee & me.......
    • View Profile
SIBTHORPE Finds COMPLETED
« on: Thursday 29 December 11 08:45 GMT (UK) »
I’m putting up this thread in the hope that there’s someone out there interested in some Australian Sibthorpes who will google and come across it. My daughter found a packet containing a few old photographs and documents at an auction. She promptly bought them and gave them to me as she knew I’d be intrigued with them.

After 24 hours I’d found out quite a lot about the people concerned and traced their family back to Ireland, and I’ll post an outline of what I have.  Any additional information will be welcome. I’m hoping that one day I can return the bits and pieces I have to a Sibthorpe family historian who may treasure them. I have found deaths for any names that I mention.
Steeles, Burton, Garrod (Norfolk), Clarke, Tomblin (Rutland)
Bauer (London, France), Blades, Parker (Surrey)
Edwards, Coles, Smith, Nunley, Craddock, York, & Linnell (Northants) )
Ehmcke, Deimel, Appelkamp (Germany)
Watts (Somerset, Wiltshire) Selway, Churchill, & Chappell (Somerset)
Redwood (Devon, Essex) Button, Archer, Leach (Cambridgeshire)

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline deeiluka

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mrs Dee & me.......
    • View Profile
Re: Sibthorpe Finds
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 December 11 08:49 GMT (UK) »
What I have….

1. A Certificate that reads….

Buckingham Palace

By Command
Of

HIS MAJESTY THE KING

The accompanying medal is forwarded to

WARRANT OFFICER G. R. SIBTHORPE

to be worn in commemoration of

Their Majesties’ Silver Jubilee

6th May, 1935

2. A card from the Church of England Committee for Religious Education in State Schools and Sunday Schools for the Diocese of Brisbane. It states that Jack SIBTHORPE, Taringa Sunday School, Toowong Parish, passed the Preliminary Examination in Religious Knowledge, 1924. It’s signed Gerald Brisbane.

3. A Qualifying Certificate for John SIBTHORPE , pupil at Henley Beach Public School, in 1928.

4. Jack SIBTHORPE’s Report Card from Woodville High School for the years 1929, 1930 and 1931.

5. University of Adelaide Public Examinations Board Intermediate Certificate for 1930 for Jack SIBTHORPE.

6. A reference for Mr J. I. SIBTHORPE written in 1934 by W.C.D. VEALE, City Engineer and Surveyer, of the Chief Engineer and Surveyer’s Office,Town Hall, Adelaide.

7. A receipt from the Cardiff Hospital Management Committee issued to Jack SIBTHORPE’s sister . There is no date on it, but research in Trove suggests it was very early in the 1950s.

8. Two old group photographs that I’ll post on the Photograph Dating Board, but I feel they are too old to be groups in which Jack is a member…..more likely his father, G R SIBTHORPE. Unfortunately the photographs are not named.

Offline deeiluka

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mrs Dee & me.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 December 11 08:50 GMT (UK) »
In brief, what I’ve found out about the names in the documents…..

1. The Jubilee Medal (and others) belonging to G. R. SIBTHORPE are advertised for sale on the internet.

2.  From Trove Personal Notices, George Richard SIBTHORPE and his wife Beatrice Eleanor were the parents of Jack Innes SIBTHORPE and two daughters, one of whom became a doctor. I have found births for Jack Innes SIBTHORPE and one of his sisters in Victoria.

3. George Richard SIBTHORPE joined the Australian Army in 1906, and kept
re-enlisting. His records can be seen on the National Archives website. In the 1920s he was posted to South Australia, where he remained for the rest of his life. There are many mentions of him on Trove, and also some pictures. He and his family lived in the South Australian suburb of Henley Beach.

4. George Richard SIBTHORPE, his wife Beatrice Eleanor, and Jack Innes SIBTHORPE all died in South Australia, George aged 69 in 1955, Beatrice in 1988, and Jack aged just 32 in 1948. Jack was not married. They are all buried in Centennial Park Cemetery.

5. George Richard SIBTHORPE was born 2nd December 1885 at St Leonards, NSW. He was one of 5 children born to Robert Hudson SIBTHORPE and Mary Ann BAILEY. He married Beatrice Eleanor INNES in 1911 at Chatswood, NSW.
His siblings were…..
Frederick Leonard SIBTHORPE born 1884 at St Leonards NSW
Robert James SIBTHORPE born 1888 at St Leonards, NSW
Emily G SIBTHORPE born 1890 at St Leonards, NSW
John Bailey SIBTHORPE born 1892 at St Leonards, NSW

Offline deeiluka

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mrs Dee & me.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 December 11 08:52 GMT (UK) »
Robert Hudson SIBTHORPE, George’s father, was the son of Luke H. SIBTHORPE and Jane HUDSON, born in Musclebrook, NSW in 1857. His parents Luke and Jane married in NSW in 1855. From what I can see they had these other children…..
Gerald K. SIBTHORPE born Molong in 1859
Richard L. SIBTHORPE born Molong in 1861
Emily J. SIBTHORPE born Wellington in 1863
Letitia B. SIBTHORPE born Wellington in 1865.

The same year, 1865, that baby daughter Letitia was born, Luke H. SIBTHORPE died in Wellington. His death notice in the “Sydney Morning Herald” states that he was Luke Homan SIBTHORPE, aged 52, which gives an approximate year of birth of 1812. It also states that he left a widow and 6 young children, but I can’t find the birth registration of the sixth child. However, I have found references births of 6 children in newspaper announcements. The baby Letitia appears to have died in 1866 but her name was given as Lydia in the newspaper announcement.

From “The Colonist”, 23rd July 1835, it reads that Mr Luke SIBTHORPE arrived on the barque “John Dennison” from Liverpool via Hobart.

From http://www.dia.ie/architects/view/4982 comes information that Luke Homan SIBTHORPE was the fourth son of Luke SIBTHORPE, painter and glazier of Dublin.

Luke Homan Sibthorpe held the position of Sub-Commissioner, Stony Creek from 1st March 1862.

Dee     :)

Offline eggdish

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SIBTHORPE Finds
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 January 12 03:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dee

See! Google searches are worthwhile.
I spotted your posting re the SIBTHORPE family. A little stunned, I am, firstly that this treasure is available and, secondly, that someone thought the bundle worth discarding.

My connection: I am trying to track down descendants in the hope that they might have a photo of the parents of George Richard SIBTHORPE's wife Beatrice Eleanor INNES, viz Matthew INNES & Rachel WADESON. You mention old photos and the hope in me rises. I suspect that these are of the SIBTHORPE family in South Australia. But if someone has rid themselves of old photos of the SIBTHORPEs, then my quest for the photos that I specifically want seems rather hopeless. I won't let that stop me in my quest though.
I am related to Rachel WADESON.

I have recently been in contact with a descendant of Rachel but who unfortunately lost contact with the family yonks ago. Hence my delving in Trove today.

What is my point in all of this?
I express interest in the items but should someone directly related to the SIBTHORPE lineage express an interest, I defer to them since my relationship is tangential. Because I am seeking out descendants I should be able to pass the items on if the descendants are interested. In addition, I might be able to help supply you with some more info, but I need to consolidate my recent findings. Some serendipity played a part.

If you need to, send me a personal message and we can chat about things, especially since we are approaching those who are living.

The Taringa certificate seems like a furphy to me, being in QLD, but I could be surprised.

Didn't spot any pics of GRB on Trove (yet) so I might have to pick your brains on this. Thanks for the tip about the VIC births too. That should save some time.

cheers, Eggd.
WADESON (LAN & WES)
JONES (GLA & MON)
CHARD (SOM & MON)

Offline eggdish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 January 12 04:04 GMT (UK) »
Hmm. I might be wrong about that Taringa cert. GRB signed his reenlistment papers in Brisbane (area) in 1923. The cert is 1924, you mention. Every possibility methinks.

Eggd.
WADESON (LAN & WES)
JONES (GLA & MON)
CHARD (SOM & MON)

Offline deeiluka

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mrs Dee & me.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 January 12 06:35 GMT (UK) »
Very glad to hear from you, Eggd.   :D

Yes, George Richard did indeed spend time in Queensland. In fact there is a possibility that a daughter was born either there or in Victoria before he moved there. However, I haven't been able to find proof as to where she was born.

As for the pictures of George on Trove, try these links.....
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0ji8/

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0jia/

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0jib/

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0jic/

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0jid/

If they don't work, I'll try a different suggestion.

Re the "treasures" I have here, I would prefer them to go to a Sibthorpe, but there is no reason why I can't give you scans of them if we PM each other personal email addresses, and we can keep in touch in case you are in touch with someone directly related to George.

We can also exchange information, as I have the names of the daughters of George, and a little information about them.

Dee   :)

Offline deeiluka

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mrs Dee & me.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 January 12 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Eggd, here is the link to the thread on the Photography board where I posted a scan of the two photos that were in the packet. As you'll see, they are group photos, with absolutely no names on them. However, one has got Springton Football Club written on it in pencil, and Springton is in South Australia, so I have my doubts that it has any family members in it.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0jig/

Dee   :)

Offline eggdish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 January 12 23:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dee

Don't know how I arrived at 'GRB' as the acronym. Maybe yesterday's temperatures affected my brain.

Many thanks for the links. The photos in Trove I can reach just fine. Curious that the best image shows him in drag. Looks like he was having fun.
The link to the photos works for me. Seeing everyone's responses makes me concur, although I read the year on the football as '1913'. Reluctant to accept '1912', but that is just me. As you mention, these photos seem irrelevant to the SIBTHORPE family.

PM coming shortly.
cheers
Eggdish
WADESON (LAN & WES)
JONES (GLA & MON)
CHARD (SOM & MON)