Author Topic: "Camp Trinidad" Colorado German Prisoner of War Camp  (Read 6723 times)

Offline Wendi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Peeking into the past
    • View Profile
"Camp Trinidad" Colorado German Prisoner of War Camp
« on: Friday 30 December 11 09:59 GMT (UK) »
The Trinidad History Museum has information regarding, and is seeking more information about the camp, and any artifacts relating to it.  Suzanne Campbell is the volunteer contact at the museum.

"A recent book, Prisoners of War at Camp Trinidad, Colorado 1943-1946 Kurt Landsberger, a member of Friends of Historical Trinidad, who was one of the camp's interpreters, describes the camp in vivid detail.  The book is available for sale at the museum......German prisoners began arriving at the camp in early June 1943, having been captured in North Africa.  At its peak about 4,000 officers and enlisted men were held at the camp and were guarded by 1,300 - 1,500 American officers and soldiers.   Memories of the camp inspired the June 1964 reunion of former prisoners and guards in Trinidad.  The prisoners had held several reunions in Germany and had invited officials from Trinidad to them, though noe was able to make the trip.  The Germans were invited to the city by a resolution of the Trinidad City Council.  There were several reunions held in the years since, the last being in 1995."

from Friends of Historical Trinidad" Fall Newsletter 2011
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

SCOTT ~ Monmouthshire & Glamorgan
BUCKLEY ~ Cork & Manchester
FRANKLIN ~ Clerkenwell, London
BRADY ~ Kildare & Manchester
DERICK ~ France
FRIEND ~ Kent & Portsmouth
TYLDESLEY ~ Lancashire

Offline daisy1942

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "Camp Trinidad" Colorado German Prisoner of War Camp
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 January 19 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Browsing I came across this thread as I have an interest in Trinidad.

Is anyone aware if any WW2 records still exist listing sailors landed at Port of Spain, after being rescued from torpedoed ships?  I am especially interested in sailors arriving around November/December 1942.
TIA
Casey, Cunningham Burt Glasgow & Ireland,
Dobell, Bridgeman, London
Deavin London and France