Author Topic: Helen McCURDY died Sept 4 1818  (Read 2026 times)

Offline norfolkgal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Helen McCURDY died Sept 4 1818
« on: Wednesday 11 May 05 10:11 BST (UK) »

A few months ago as I was clearing my mum's house, I came across a piece of jewellery and it has me puzzled. The jewellery has inscribed on it - "Helen McCurdy, Died Sept 4th 1818 - The Maid is not Dead but Sleepeth".
Now I have been trying to find out who this Helen McCurdy was and why my mum would have had this piece of jewellery. Several contacts have told me that there were McCurdy's in Antrim so I thought I would post this message.  Have any of you come across a Helen McCurdy in your research that would fit the bill? Any help really appreciated as this is bugging me.
Thanks
Norfolkgal
Nfk-ADCOCK,BOWMAN,BRUNDLE,BULLEN,CARNELL,CLARK,CURTIS, DOWNING,DUFFIELD,DUNN,EVERETT,FINCHAM,FULLER,GAPLEY,GUYMER, HARRIS,HENSBY,HOWSE,HUBBARD,KENT,LINCOLN,MANN,MASON,MILES,
MITCHELL,NEAL,PAGE,PALMER,PIGOTT,RATTHAM,RICHES,RIX,RUST,
SCOTT,STEGGLES,THOMPSON,TILLS,WALE,WHITE
Cambs-BUZZARD,CRICK,COX,DARLEY,FLINDERS,GARRETT,GREEN, GROUNDS,HOLLINSTEAD,NORMAN,PAYNE,TYERS,WILKINSON
Sfk-BULL,COWELL,FINCHAM,MASON,TOKELOVE,TRETT
Chesh-BLACKBRUFF,BROWN,BURNS,LEAH,MAJOR,NOMEN,ROBERTS,
ROBINSON,WARING

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Helen McCURDY died Sept 4 1818
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 May 05 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hello Norfolkgal,

This is an interesting little puzzle you have set. Why was the jewellery not buried with
Helen ? It might be worthwhile to check Griffiths to see if there is a Helen as head of
household. If so she may be named after her ancestor and that may give a clue to the
Helen who died in 1818.
www.failteromhat.com/antrim.htm   Griffiths Valuation of Ireland 1861 - 1862
http://scripts.ireland.com/ancestor/index.cfm Irish Ancestry Surname Search shows the
distribution of the name McCurdy in Ireland during the years 1848 - 1864.

By the way in what part of Norfolk do you live. I have relatives living in the county.

Best Wishes,  Christopher

Offline norfolkgal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 June 05 11:55 BST (UK) »
Hi, Thanks for your interest in my Helen McCurdy. Unfortunately I am still no further forward, although have a few possibles. It is the date of death that will clinch it.
I am from Near King's Lynn.
Best wishes
Norfolkgal
Nfk-ADCOCK,BOWMAN,BRUNDLE,BULLEN,CARNELL,CLARK,CURTIS, DOWNING,DUFFIELD,DUNN,EVERETT,FINCHAM,FULLER,GAPLEY,GUYMER, HARRIS,HENSBY,HOWSE,HUBBARD,KENT,LINCOLN,MANN,MASON,MILES,
Cambs-BUZZARD,CRICK,COX,DARLEY,FLINDERS,GARRETT,GREEN, GROUNDS,HOLLINSTEAD,NORMAN,PAYNE,TYERS,WILKINSON
ROBINSON,WARING

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 June 05 15:10 BST (UK) »
Hi, Thanks for your interest in my Helen McCurdy. Unfortunately I am still no further forward, although have a few possibles. It is the date of death that will clinch it.
I am from Near King's Lynn.
Best wishes
Norfolkgal

Have you thought of sending a photograph of the piece of jewellery and the story to one of the local newspapers here ? That might be a line of enquiry worth considering

Best Wishes

Christopher

Offline norfolkgal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 May 06 14:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Christopher,
Sorry for the delay in replying. (almost 1 year!!!)
I might persue the newspaper atricle later.
Thanks for your interest.
regards
Norfolkgal
ROBINSON,WARING

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 May 06 14:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Christopher,
Sorry for the delay in replying. (almost 1 year!!!)
I might persue the newspaper atricle later.
Thanks for your interest.
regards
Norfolkgal

No problem there norfolkgal.
There was no need to apologise for the delay in replying.

Best Wishes, Chris

Offline McCurdy1963

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 April 21 01:12 BST (UK) »
Helen was a daughter of William McCurdy a surgeon and apothecary , formerly of H M Royal Navy ... he lived near Hambledon in Hampshire.
He was born in Ballymoney County Antrim and was married to Elizabeth Cuppage. They had several children though many of them died young, of which Helen was one. They had connection with the Madras Native Infantry. At least two sons were there and died there. Another was in the Royal Navy ...
kind regards
Shane McCurdy

Offline norfolkgal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 April 21 10:02 BST (UK) »
Hi, Wow! What a surprise to get a reply after all these years. I am presuming you are related to Helen McCurdy. I don't know how my mother got this brooch.I do think it might have been passed down through my dad's family.  I wonder if Helen was related to my GG  Grandmother, Mary Weymss born 1831 in Ireland. She came over to England and married my GG Grandfather, Samuel Major in 1849 in Astbury, Cheshire. Do you have any Weymss in your tree?.
Ofcourse my mum may have just bought the piece of jewellery somewhere because she liked it.

Thanks for taking an interest.
ROBINSON,WARING

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 April 21 10:10 BST (UK) »
Re William McCurdy:

http://www.sageoldbooks.com/egap/mn.html#McCurdy

.    His eldest daughter, Helen, is named in Gower’s will as his 'much esteemed and most valuable friend' 

Gower being Admiral Sir Erasmus Gower.

Of particular interest at the web page link:

.    Hellen McCurdy ( c. 1790 - 1818) A piece of jewellery is held in a private collection in England. It has the following inscribed on the back; 'Helen McCurdy - Died Sept 4th 1818 - The Maid is not Dead but Sleepeth'. Died 'at lodgings at Southsea common, aged 28.'

ps this is another thread that proves patience can be a virtue, and the benefit of a site, such as Rootschat, retaining old posts. From what I recall of Christopher when he was on Rootschat, he enjoyed a puzzle and would have no doubt been delighted that Helen's identity was now known[ /i] .   :)
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .