Author Topic: John Sowerby 1851 cesus Teesdale  (Read 4774 times)

Offline Kath-SapperSowerby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Sowerby 1851 cesus Teesdale
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 11 February 17 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi, This post has been very interesting and it seems that you have all reached the same as myself - I thought I had everything at first but I keep going back over things.
John Sowerby married to Eliza was born 01.09.1849 Teesdale (Lunedale)
John Sowerby's Dad was as far as i have researched married to Elizabeth but at first thought this was Elizabeth Nelson but she was widowed at the age of 42yrs. (so i am not sure again lol )
There was 10 children altogether for John Sowerby & Eliza (Plews) but their maybe a few more.
John Sowerby is my husbands 2nd Great Grandfather
Thomas Sowerby is my husbands great grandfather
Harry Sowerby Grandfather
We have links to most of the parts of this side of the family - it would be great to catch up with others that have the same links & Share information :)

Offline morgan10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 12 February 17 00:52 GMT (UK) »
Good to hear from you, Kath. I had stopped researching this area of my family. You have reawakened my interest. John Sowerby was my great grandfather so I am a generation ahead of you. MY grandfather was Fred Sowerby, the soccer player, something of a rogue I was always told. My brother still has the short whisky measure he used when keeping pubs around Bishop Auckland area. My grandmother was his second wife. My Mum seems to have had little contact with her many Sowerby relatives and I never met any. Added to that, I am in NZ so my research is all online. You have me worried now as I don't have a Harry Sowerby where you tell me I should have one!
I am still keen on Hannah Sowerby as John's father. It all fits and John's eldest daughter was called Hannah. All circumstantial, I know.
It would be good to talk privately - you may be able to help me with more recent family questions, curiosity rather than research. There is personal messaging system on this site but you have to post at least 3 times to get access to it as far as I can tell. Could you perhaps make another couple of posts and then it should work. Thanks

I just remembered. I have a Hannah Sowerby, baptised 17 May 1818, parents from Stakehill, Lunedale which is very close to Thringarth. Parents named Jospeph and Hannah. No proof but a possibke lead to follow.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 12 February 17 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for you reply.

Here we go top to bottom:
John Sowerby (Teesdale- lunedale - Eliza Plews (Born- Ross-on-Wye, Herefordshire, England)
lived at 23 New Street, West Auckland, Durham, England
Joseph Sowerby1892
James William Sowerby1887 - 1887
Sarah Ellen 1886 - 1887
Frederick Sowerby 1885 -
Mary Elizabeth Sowerby - 1882 - 1974 (we still have connection today with this side of the family)
John Robert Sowerby 1879 - 1945
William Sowerby 1877 - 1970
Thomas Sowerby 1875 - 1921 (Husbands G-Grandfather)
George Sowerby 1873  - 1933 
Hannah Sowerby 1868

I have photos and also have some of the married partners names with family - I have researched all by census and do not use peoples trees.

Most information was first inputted by information actually provided by direct family links :)

I hope this helps - i will wait your response

John Sowerby - Mined / Stoneman and lived to 83 years :)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 13 February 17 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nicky,

Just some other information for you - John's Son Thomas Sowerby 1875 - 1921 was killed in a mining accident.

Please view the link - this gives you quite a bit of information :

http://www.dmm.org.uk/colliery/w050.htm#i15300

Regards
Kath