Author Topic: Dungannon in the Plantation-era  (Read 2374 times)

Offline crb83

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Dungannon in the Plantation-era
« on: Saturday 31 December 11 22:34 GMT (UK) »
I recently found ancestors in the Hearth money rolls in the Barony of Dungannon (They were McLains).  I had previously thought my ancestors were Scottish planters since they were Protestant but all the names in these parishes seem to be native Irish like O'Dougherty, Gallagher, O'Donnell, Byrne.  Would I be correct in assuming that my McLains were possibly in Ireland earlier than the plantation and has assimilated with the people around "Tir Eoghain"?  Maybe gallowglass?  In 1560, Maclean of Duart sent highlanders to fight under Shane O'Neill and the chieftain's daughter Catherine Maclean married Shane.  The Maclean gallowglass were kinsmen to Shane's sons.

I was wondering if anyone knowledgeable about Tyrone in this time frame could tell me if the land in Southeastern Tyrone was parcelled to Scottish undertakers or maybe it was a reserved for native tenants?

Thank you!  Very interested to find out.
MacLean; Kildare, Offaly, Dublin, Meath, Westmeath

Offline amac1210

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dungannon in the Plantation-era
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 September 19 23:14 BST (UK) »
I don't know what sources we can find, and I've hit a brick wall in my research. My ancestors include Gallaghers from Moneygar, Co. Tyrone. Inscriptions of an ancient graveyard in Trillick made in the 1940s, show some of those ancestors buried together as far back as 1707. However, it isn't clear how they all relate. Records simply don't seem to exist. Interestingly, nearby their plot is the grave of one of the great-great grandsons to King Shayn the Proud (Shane O'Neill). I read somewhere that the Gallaghers or, O'Gallaghers as they once were, supported Shayn and fought for him. It might indicate a past migration from Ulster to Tyrone. All very complicated when the records simply aren't there. However, it gives a vague sense of where we're from.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 September 19 23:25 BST (UK) »

... It might indicate a past migration from Ulster to Tyrone. ...
Tyrone is part of Ulster  :-\
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline amac1210

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 October 19 22:41 BST (UK) »
Yes, but from a different area, mixed up my nomenclature there! There are certainly connections.