Author Topic: Jordans (hanlons & Laphen) - Dublin 1850s to date  (Read 3607 times)

Offline bclc71

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jordans (hanlons & Laphen) - Dublin 1850s to date
« on: Sunday 01 January 12 06:22 GMT (UK) »
I come from a big family of Jordans in Glasnevin, Dublin. Of all the areas of my family Tree the Jordan Branches are the least researched - and among the known extended family no one seems to want to look back - too much sadness and broken families in the 1950s-1980s. But I am hoping that somewhere out there someone might just have a connection that ties up.

My Jordan ancestry in Dublin going back 4 generations as follows:

William Joseph Jordan born Dublin 7 February 1940 to Lucy guilfoyle and Richard Jordan, Whitehall Dublin.

Richard Jordan born Dublin 0 April 1912 to Andrew Bernard Jordan and Mary Hanlon of Coles Lane, Dublin.

Richard had lots of siblings including:
Joseph 1908-1975
William 1909 - /
Christopher 1911 - ?
Rosie ? - 2011
May ? - still living
Marsella dies 1948
Daniel ? - ?
Andrew died 2011

Their family business was M Jordan and sons - Furniture manufacturers of Granby Lane. Mary Hanlons family where shop owners & cab drivers - there is a connection somewhere there to the Fred Hanna shop (which was still in business when i grew up in Dublin). The Jordans moved out to Mobhi Road, Glasnevin.

Andrew Bernard Jordan born 21 June 1885 North Dublin City to Joseph Jordan and Mary Laphen of Monthjoy St, Dublin. Their address in 1901 was North Dock. Andrew was a Furniture broker.

Andrews siblings include:
Mary 1878-
Kathleen 1881-
Dam? 1882-
Bart 1883 -
Amelia 1887 -
Rosanna 1893-

Joseph Jordan born circa 1852 in Clare, Offely married to Mary Laphen from Dublin. Joseph was a dairy man and some of his children worked with him.

I would love to find someone with a connection. :-)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Jordans (hanlons & Laphen) - Dublin 1850s to date
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 January 12 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Sandra Jordan lynch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 June 13 02:51 BST (UK) »
I am Sandra Jordan, daughter of Daniel Jordan. His mother was Mary & his father Andrew,died when he was a child. I would love to help you putting this puzzle together. My mother * still lives in Glasnevin, she is a wealth of information. My email is *. I would love to hear from you.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat privacy policy, also removed name of a living person. Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility. See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Sandra Jordan lynch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 June 13 13:15 BST (UK) »
I am the daughter of Danny Jordan from Glasnevin. I would love to help in the research. * Danny's wife is still living in Glasnevin.

Offline orourkea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 July 13 00:53 BST (UK) »
My late father was an upholsterer and while an apprentice worked with a Bill Jordan in Matthew Thornton's Upholsterers and cabinet makers in Bolton Parade. He subsequently went to work with Bill Jordan when he established his own upholstery business and worked for him for 16/17 years -until the mid 1950s I think and it was where he met my mother.

My father recalled his early years in Thornton's and mentioned Bill Jordan. I made notes of his recollections and can let you have them if you wish. I have two photographs of some of the staff in Jordan's but Bill isn't in any of them. Please let me know if any of the above are of interest?,

Regards

Offline LECA

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 January 22 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi there - bclc my mother and Aunty are definitely part of this Jordan clan. My Aunty (86) is a wealth of information but honestly i don't know what questions to even ask to start piecing this family history together. There's definitely bad blood as my mother refuses to get into any detail... can you PM me or something and I can try to pull something together?

Offline Sandrajor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 July 22 09:20 BST (UK) »
Hi I'm a granddaughter of Andrew Jordan of Griffith avenue. Originally Coles lane. His parents owned the Jordan furniture factory. He was married to Mary McManus and had 6 children one being my Dad Paul.
I know there's lots of Jordans around the glasnevin drumcondra area.
Would love to know more about the family heritage.
Sandra.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rock of Cashel - limestone outcrops
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 July 22 11:17 BST (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat, Sandra  :)

The only Andrew Jordan to McManus marriage post 1900 was this one.....to Geraldine McManus. Andrew was a cabinet maker and his father, also Andrew a furniture dealer.
Marriage - 3 November 1939

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1939/08869/5207732.pdf

Andrew Antony Jordan born 28 May 1914 at 11 Coles Lane.    MMN Hanlon
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1914/01413/1580578.pdf

His parents in 1911 census.
House 13 in Cole's Lane (North City, Dublin).
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/North_City/Cole_s_Lane/51267/

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter Co. Derry; Jackson Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott Co. Derry; Neilly Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy Co. Antrim; Nixon Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble Co. Sligo

Offline Sandrajor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 July 22 11:56 BST (UK) »
That's them..thank you. I had confused the first name with my other grandmother.