Author Topic: Laphen / Laffan marries Jordan 1875  (Read 9497 times)

Offline bclc71

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Laphen / Laffan marries Jordan 1875
« on: Sunday 01 January 12 11:45 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for advice on confirming marriage details.

Based on 1901 and 1911 census I understand that my ancestor Joseph Jordan ( 1852 - 1916 I think) married Mary Laffen / Laphen ( both spellings used in different places) ( 1860-? )  around 1875 and had 11 children - including my great grandfather Andrew Bernard Jordan on 21.6.1885.   I cant find any entry in the BDM index. ( or anything on their births either) so not sure how to go back further based on on line records

any suggestions on how I go further with this ?

thanks

Barbara

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Laphen / Laffan marries Jordan 1875
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 January 12 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Is this your Jordan family in 1901 ?

Jordan - Marlborough St.

All born Dublin except Joseph, who seems to be born Clara K.C. (King's Co.)

where are the family in 1911 ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 January 12 12:02 GMT (UK) »
looks like 4 of the family at North Portland St in 1911 :

Jordan household

No sign of Joseph at home, but Mary has entered 36 years married. Ages are a little bit inconsistent compared to the 1901 returns. Places of birth state Dublin City rather than just Dublin on the 1901 return, which might help narrow down searches..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 January 12 12:18 GMT (UK) »
As far as I can see the early children were baptised in the Pro-Cathedral, so that's probably the place to start focus the search for the marriage.

The earliest child for the couple I've found so far is this one in 1872, which pushes the possible marriage date back a bit...

Baptism of Thomas Jos. Jordan - 17 May 1872
  St. Mary's RC

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 January 12 12:22 GMT (UK) »
A possible marriage, with the bride's surname mistranscribed ?

Marriage of Josephus Jordan  and Maria Tophen- 30 July 1871
  St. Mary's, RC

Mary's surname is unclear in the register - but I think the first letter could be L not T - so might be Laphen ?

The bride's parents are deceased, but there is a residence given for the grooms parents (see top-right of image below).. second part of it is not very defined, but something like Balyconnlan.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline bclc71

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 January 12 22:43 GMT (UK) »
fantastic - I had found the family Mary and 3 girls in 1911 and not far away Joseph is a lodger on Rutland Street aged 60 and his years married and children confirm its the correct Mary and Joseph Jordan. 

Interestingly in 1911 Joseph lists his place of birth as Dublin City and in 1901 as Clara, Kings Co. But everything else matches up - give and take some age variation ( but i have found ages are very erratic in census!!!)

I am very curious about the pro cathedral entry - how do you access that info ?????   It is a potential gold mine for me if I can access that too ???? is it online ?

Lots if the later Jordans were baptised and married there so it is definitely consistent - the Jordans didn't ventured very far from the area until later moving a little bit further north of the canel!

regarding the entry - can you make out the words at all - in particular the parents names ?

I am so so thankful for your help with this. I live in Brisbane so am relying on online information for my research. If there are hard copy records I might be able to encourage my parents to go looking but I just don't know what's worth asking them to peruse. Your knowledge and time is greatly appreciated.

kind regards

barbara

Offline bclc71

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 January 12 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Sorry just realised there was a link not just the image. Definitely cold be Laphen - great find!!!

cheers

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 January 12 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I think that placename is Ballycumber which is in County Offaly.

Tara

Offline bclc71

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 08:05 GMT (UK) »
thanks Tara - looks likely as it appears to be close to Clara too ( where Joseph was born). 
kind regards

barbara