Author Topic: Laphen / Laffan marries Jordan 1875  (Read 9503 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Laphen / Laffan marries Jordan 1875
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 09:12 GMT (UK) »
You dont see occupations on RC records very often... dont think I've ever come across one before!

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline bclc71

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 09:20 GMT (UK) »
I accessed the marriage details from rootsireland and it says Joseph and Catherine were both RC.

Were catholics eligible to serve in the army at that time ? ( maybe he wasnt but agreed to convert !!)

Just looking at the record of their daughter Catherine born 24 Sept 1844  - 6 days before the marriage of Joseph and Catherine. Not many choices for either of them!!

interestingly the occupation on the Baptism says 19th regiment. One is obviously transcribed incorrectly  - There was a 19th foot regiment so it might be that??

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Wow Barbara,

I do hope it is them as it sounds like a fab story !

I'm not sure how you go about accessing very old military records. The only ones I know of are WW1 which of course is way too late. Maybe if you post a query on one of the other forums (military ?) - someone may be able to point you in the right direction.

Tara

Offline bclc71

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Tara and Shane for all your help.

One of the things that particularly interests me in this branch of my tree is that I am a Jordan and my second name  is Catherine - and despite all the Catherines on my family tree else where it is only with this recent discoveries that I have found a Catherine Jordan - who was born 6 days before her parents marriage on the eve of the Famine. 

i can never get enough of this stuff!!!   

I have posted a seperate Q on the military forum so hopefully someone can help with that to help develop a better sense of who thomas was, and where the 19th regiment might have travelled to ( where there more children between catherine in 1844 and Joseph in 1851 - cant find them in Ireland but perhaps they were overseas....

thank you

barbara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 13:04 GMT (UK) »
Barbara,

How are you getting on with the Laffen side of things ?

I presume this is your Maria Laffan

Name MARIA MARGARITTA LAFFAN 
Date of Birth 12 September 1854 
Address COLES LANE 
Father JOHANNES LAPHEN 
Mother AMELIA BROE 

Your Maria's address when getting married was from off Moore Street - parents John Laphan & ? (transcribed as Eustice). I actually think it is Amelie / Emilia (varies on documents)

And you know that Thomas Jordan was born off Moore Street.

The reason why I say this, is have you seen on irishgenealogy the marriage of Amelia Laphen to Robert Thompson in 1859 in St. Mary's Pro Cathedral. Her address at marriage was Riddles off Off Moore Street. Her parents are listed as John Laphen and Maria Broe.

On irishgenealogy there is a John Laphan and Amelia Broe getting married in 1836 in St. Mary's Pro Cathedral.

I also noticed that an Emilia  was sponsor to the birth of Joseph Jordan's daughter Rosanna in 1892.

There was also an Emilia Thompson sponsor at the baptism of Joseph's son Joseph Jordan (daughter of Robert thompson and Amelia Laphen).

So Amelia / Emilia etc was obviously a name that ran in the family !!

There are too many other documents on irishgenealogy to list here which back this up.

If you haven't already come to this conclusion let me know so that I can send you all the other Laffen relations !

Tara

Offline bclc71

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 19:51 GMT (UK) »
I need to put you on the payroll!!

I have found quite a bit this week on the Laffens ( ie Mary and her siblings) ( including having made contact with a living breathing descendant - always exciting) but need to get more time to check the details against what you have listed .

I have found the following children of Joseph Laphin ( Mary's brother) and Mary McArdle:

Joseph 5 Nov 1875

Emily 13 Sept 1879

Anne 16 Jan 1882  ( is this your ancestor?)

James Francis 14 oct 1883

Bartholomew Joseph 9 May 1885

Agnes 23 June 1887

Also I am guessing that Mary Laphen and Joseph Laphen had a brother Andrew - who married Georgina Waters - they had a daughter Georgina born 29 Dec 1885 that Mary and Joseph were god parents too.

possibly also a brother Daniel.

This need to go to work and feed my children business is getting in the way of my research!!!

Right now at 5.30 am I am having comprehending whose who ( Amelia Laphen who  marries Robert Thompson - who is she to mary laphen - brain is mush )

Maria ( or Mary) - her parents on the wedding document were John Laphen and while it has been transcribed as Euctace I found a marriage record for her brother that confirms that it was Amelia ( and looking at the original document this seems right).

will look at this later and see what I can figure out.

thanks again

Barbara

Offline bclc71

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 05 January 12 09:07 GMT (UK) »
There is a Thomas Jordan on this Griffiths Valuation who is farming in Esker which is just beside Clara and Ballycumber !!

www.failteromhat.com/griffiths/offaly/lemanaghan.php

What is the date if the Griffiths valuation?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 05 January 12 09:21 GMT (UK) »
between 1847 and 1864... exact date depends on when that particular area was surveyed

use the website at AskAboutIreland for Griffith's - it's version is much more detailed. See :

Griffith's valuation

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 05 January 12 09:23 GMT (UK) »
The date for this Thomas is 1854..

S.
My Surname Interests