Author Topic: Bray Family - St. Petersburg, Russia  (Read 9719 times)

Offline Denise Rudge

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bray Family - St. Petersburg, Russia
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 19 August 18 10:02 BST (UK) »
Hello

I know, I was originally told Olga's father was Alexander but her wedding certificate shows Stephen Thomas James as her father.  Olga married 26 Jan 1909 at The British Church of St Andrews Moscow. The marriage was witnessed by: James W Bray, Stephen W Bray, Alfred Bray and Anna (?)
I wonder if James and Stephen are her brothers. I understand Stephen TJ was married to someone called MARIA and understand they did have other children but to be honest I thought Alexander was her father and spent most of my efforts on his family. I have tried contacts to see if I could find out the surname of Maria but no luck as far.  I have to admit I am not very good on the computer a cousin in Canada, has sent all kinds of titbits on the Ephimoff side of the family.  A Elizabeth Ephimoff studied at the University of Geneva - have that on file - she came from Petersburg. If there is way of sending you a copy of the marriage certificate, I am quite willing to share.
I have also been told Olga taught English for the young children of the Royal Family - but how one can verify that I do not kow.
Olga and her husband Harry Yates returned to England 1909 as my father Stephen Yates was born 24th December 1909 LEICESTER - the birth was registered 1910.  Harry was born in Canada - Wentworth Canada.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Denise

Offline TANYBRYN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 19 August 18 16:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Adrian
Have not been keeping up with roots chat but just looking through now I do not think I ever answered your question about my father being Edward Eales - which yes he was -so sorry. Also as you mention a photograph I have quite a lot of close Bray family photos which were handed down through Edward - if you would be interested in seeing some I could email you some - just a thought.
Regards Anna

Offline Adrian Bray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 26 April 19 00:09 BST (UK) »
Hello Anna,

To pick up the thread here: My father Peter Bray would be your father Edward (Ted)'s first cousin, so we are second cousins.  I have a photograph from 1933 with your grandparents sitting together with Ted in front.  Also a handy family tree prepared about 20 years ago, but no information beyond Ted.

Offline Adrian Bray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 26 April 19 00:33 BST (UK) »
As regards Stephen Bray; my family tree indicates that his siblings were Alfred, Alexander, Henry and Harriet.  Their parents were William (Bill) Bray (born 1833) and Ann Webb.  Bill  was the oldest child of William Bray (born 1812) and his first wife Harriet Pudney, with whom he had seven children.  Harriet passed away in 1854 and he re-married, to Sarah Ann Wingel, by whom he had another six children and adopted her child (also William). No wonder he died broke! My great grandfather was the second child of his second family and there wasn't a lot of contact between them after William (1812) died.  I do know Bill (1833)  was in Russia most of his life, and invited my great-grandfather Walter (his half-brother) to join him there around 1880.  Walter's descendants are also numerous, but all left Russia after the 1917 revolution.

If you are Stephen Bray's grandchild, we are fourth cousins.

Offline Inchworm

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 26 April 19 19:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Adrian,
My 2X Grandfather was Alfred Bray son of William Bray (b.1812) and Harriet Pudney.
Have you done the Ancestry DNA test yet?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

DUNNILL - Yorkshire & Worlwide  
PETTY - Shaftesbury, Dorset
WOOLRIDGE - Shaftesbury, Dorset
NEWSOM - London, Surrey, Sussex
FROST - Staffs,Notts, Derbys,Leics,London,Somerset
ROSSITER - Somerset
ROWE - London, Hertfordshire
COLVER - Leicestershire
DICKIE - Buteshire, Ayreshire, Renfrewshire
KIRKLEY - North Yorkshire

Offline Adrian Bray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 26 April 19 19:26 BST (UK) »
Inchworm,  that would be Alfred born in 1848.  It appears we are fourth cousins, once removed.  It would be fun to add that bit of the family tree to mine.  I have not done the DNA test.

Offline Renato Bray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Renato Bray - I am a descendant of George BRAY and Ann WIGGETT.
« Reply #24 on: Friday 19 June 20 22:07 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone.
I am looking for Denise Rudge and others with the same ancestor.  :)
I have been living in Birmingham since last year.
I was born and raised in Brazil.
My phone number is 07852100444 (+44 UK)
Let's keep in touch
Cheers

Offline Renato Bray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 19 June 20 22:13 BST (UK) »
Renato Bray - I am a descendant of George BRAY and Ann WIGGETT.

Hi Denise Rudge. We have got the same ancestor.
I have been living in Birmingham since last year.
I was born and raised in Brazil.
My phone number is (*)
Let's keep in touch
Cheers

(*) Moderator Comment: personal telephone number removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Brockham

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 13:22 BST (UK) »
William Bray b. 1812 Deptford is my 3x greatgrandfather.  His daughter Maria Ann Susannah Bray m. Robert Burt is my 2x greatgrandmother.  I'd love to read the 'Account of Walter's early years in Russia' and Kenneth Braidwood's memoirs, as well as any other articles (and photos) about William, his work and his family's time in Russia.