Author Topic: Help read Polish name  (Read 2152 times)

Offline kevarms

• RootsChat Extra
  • Joseph Gartland, Armagh, c. 1930
    • View Profile
Help read Polish name
« on: Monday 02 January 12 01:33 GMT (UK) »
It's the groom's father from a 1950 English birth marriage certificate. (Sorry for the confusion folks  :-[)

*Moderator comment:  image cropped to remove white space :) *
Armstrong: West Yorkshire, Brierley Hill
Dyson: Bolton
Farrar/Farrer: Bradford
Gartland: Co. Armagh
Green: Kippax (Yorks)
Hart: Armagh City
Webster: Hartwell (Northants)

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: Help read Polish name
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 January 12 04:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi kevarms :)

I assume it's the first name  you need help with - would "Juhem" be the right reading of it?  I don't know Polish or any Polish names, but that's what it looks like.

Cheers
Prue

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 January 12 04:55 GMT (UK) »
Juliern/Julian/Julien
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 January 12 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Bear in mind that fathers' names in marriage registers are often obtained by the minister while talking to the couple as part of the preparation. They might give the name verbally, with the minister writing down what he thinks he hears; or if it's in writing, the minister may have to interpret some rather dodgy handwriting. Either way, mistakes are very possible.

I agree it looks like Juchem, but the nearest I could find in a list of Polish forenames was Julien. You might need to look for corroboration from other sources, eg the father's death certificate, or the marriage of one of the groom's siblings - or might there be a notice or report of this wedding in a local newspaper?

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 January 12 14:30 GMT (UK) »
If phoenetic spelling- could it be Polish form of Joachim? (Jáchym in Czech not sure what Polish version(s) would be)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 January 12 14:43 GMT (UK) »
It's the groom's father from a 1950 English birth certificate.

*Moderator comment:  image cropped to remove white space :) *

Hi

I don't quite understand this, you speak of the Groom's father that would indicate a fathers name on a marriage certificate! then go on to say the image is from a birth certificate

OP Corrected  ;) Now fully understand.  :)

Reason I ask is both documents may have the fathers name on them being a marriage and birth certificate. Thus if known ? sent for the other certificate or even a known bother or sister (of said groom) birth or marriage certificate. If this is a UK birth certificate entry image section, then the parent/parents most likely lived in the UK in 1950

See my Lower post

Dob's
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 January 12 15:39 GMT (UK) »
I don't quite understand this, you speak of the Groom's father that would indicate a fathers name on a marriage certificate! then go on to say the image is from a birth certificate.

I missed that - but the colour of the image strongly suggests it is a marriage certificate. Still, confirmation from the OP would be welcome.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 January 12 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Arthur

Another U K or Polish family BMD certificate may a have a better readable spelling of the grooms dad first name? is my point, I wasn't nit picking at the thread member. There could also be a newspaper entry of the event or events

Dob's

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 02 January 12 21:04 GMT (UK) »
The OP has corrected the initial posting to confirm that it is a marriage certificate  :)